Researchers have discovered how immune cells triggered by recurrent Strep A infections enter the brain, cause inflammation, and may lead to autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders in children, including PANDAS. Children with PANDAS exhibit high levels of […]
PANDAS is often suspected when suddenly a child develops “neuropsychiatric” symptoms—such as obsessions and compulsions, involuntary tics, or mood changes—after a strep infection.
Defined in the mid-nineties by Dr. Susan Swedo, PANDAS stands for “pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections.” The simple explanation of this long term is that a strep infection is causing an immune response that’s affecting the brain of a child, causing changes in behavior.
PANS (pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome) is a newer term that explains similar sudden symptoms caused by strep as well as other infections and non-infectious triggers. (PANDAS is a type of PANS.) Please see this article on PANS: “Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome”)
In additional to challenges a family faces in dealing with a child’s symptoms, PANS in general and PANDAS in particular is difficult because:
- Numerous types of triggers can cause similar symptoms
- Some in the medical community insist PANDAS does not exist.
- A controversy exists on how to diagnosis PANDAS and PANS.
- Many physicians are not familiar with the conditions, and it is difficult to find expert help.
- Research has not yet defined the best treatment approaches.
- Some of the recommended therapies are expensive and not covered by insurance.
The good news is that progress is being made, and children can be treated successfully.
We have addressed these issues in the sections below as well as in our e-book Your Child Has Changed. Should you Consider PANDAS? Let’s Talk
Related articles are shown below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can search using the box at the upper right of the page or browse our forums. We host the largest international forum on PANS/PANDAS and related conditions.
BY HOWIE’S MOM Our journey with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS) started on May 2, 2014. My healthy 9-year-old son, Howie, came home with a sudden head-jerking movement. I asked what was wrong and he […]
Dr. Susan Swedo presented a history of PANS ( Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome) and PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections) in the video below. Her talk was recorded October 1, 2015 at […]
VIJENDRA SINGH, PH.D. Autoimmunity is a major cause underlying many chronic diseases. There are 85 or so human conditions that are generally considered autoimmune diseases. It is estimated that 55 million Americans suffer from autoimmune diseases, in which the body’s immune system becomes activated abnormally.
Take advantage of these professional webinars to address sensory processing disorders, PANDAS, and what you can learn about neurotransmitters from the organic acids test. Don’t worry if you miss the date, the webinars are supposed […]
CORY’S GRANDMOTHER, PAM Cory turned seven just before Christmas. He is now on his second 10-day round of antibiotics. Before the first round his little hands were red, chapped and almost bleeding from washing them […]
Environmental and Nutritional Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health This feature highlights reports, studies, and feedback onfforts that can make a positive impact in our quest for health. Topics we cover in this issue are included below. We […]
Somebody has to do it. Somebody has to find better treatments for tic disorders so that everyone, from young to the elderly, can be treated safely and effectively. Well, it seems that somebody is us, […]
- Intriguing Remission of Tourette’s After Heat-Induced Dehydration
- Remembering Dr. William Rea
- Your World and You: Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health – Issue 48 (Premium)
- Should You Homeschool Your Child with Sensory Processing Disorder?
- Lymphatic Drainage Technique for Sinus Colds and Earaches (Premium)
- Success! Naturopathic Treatment for Severe OCD, Anxiety, ADHD and Tourette’s (Premium) on
- Finding our Way Out of a Nightmare: Tourettes, ADHD and OCD on
- How We Reversed Jessica’s Tic Disorder on
- Success: A Severe Tic Disorder Treated through Environmental Medicine on
- Can the Answer We Found for our Son’s Tics Help You? on