When are sad feelings something to be concerned about? Is biopolar disorder a type of depression or something different? Depression is so common these days that we tend to use the term loosely. But when […]
Depression: Symptoms and Diagnosis
The signs of depression can be subtle and may slowly increase over time in a way that you don’t even realize it is happening. Early signs of exhaustion, lack of interest or loss of appetite can be attributed to many events, and depression can often be in full swing before you realize you need help.
Depression doesn’t always manifest as the classic fatigue and not wanting to get out of bed. Depressed individuals can also be agitated, easily annoyed and restless. Types of symptoms and their severity vary.
The NIH shares these potential symptoms:
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating, or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.
A diagnosis of different types of depression should be made by a trained health professional. ACN Latitudes recommends that people keep a log of symptoms and try to determine if diet or other environmental factors may be connected to symptoms.
Related articles are shown below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can search using the box at the upper right of the page or browse our forums.
- Intriguing Remission of Tourette’s After Heat-Induced Dehydration
- Remembering Dr. William Rea
- Your World and You: Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health – Issue 48 (Premium)
- Should You Homeschool Your Child with Sensory Processing Disorder?
- Lymphatic Drainage Technique for Sinus Colds and Earaches (Premium)
- Success! Naturopathic Treatment for Severe OCD, Anxiety, ADHD and Tourette’s (Premium) on
- Finding our Way Out of a Nightmare: Tourettes, ADHD and OCD on
- How We Reversed Jessica’s Tic Disorder on
- Success: A Severe Tic Disorder Treated through Environmental Medicine on
- Can the Answer We Found for our Son’s Tics Help You? on