We’ve compiled a list of published research articles on PANDAS and PANS, presented in chronological order. The controversy surrounding these conditions is reflected in the research. Many of the publications are offered as full (free) […]
PANDAS is often suspected when suddenly a child develops “neuropsychiatric” symptoms—such as obsessions and compulsions, involuntary tics, or mood changes—after a strep infection.
Defined in the mid-nineties by Dr. Susan Swedo, PANDAS stands for “pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections.” The simple explanation of this long term is that a strep infection is causing an immune response that’s affecting the brain of a child, causing changes in behavior.
PANS (pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome) is a newer term that explains similar sudden symptoms caused by strep as well as other infections and non-infectious triggers. (PANDAS is a type of PANS.) Please see this article on PANS: “Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome”)
In additional to challenges a family faces in dealing with a child’s symptoms, PANS in general and PANDAS in particular is difficult because:
- Numerous types of triggers can cause similar symptoms
- Some in the medical community insist PANDAS does not exist.
- A controversy exists on how to diagnosis PANDAS and PANS.
- Many physicians are not familiar with the conditions, and it is difficult to find expert help.
- Research has not yet defined the best treatment approaches.
- Some of the recommended therapies are expensive and not covered by insurance.
The good news is that progress is being made, and children can be treated successfully.
We have addressed these issues in the sections below as well as in our e-book Your Child Has Changed. Should you Consider PANDAS? Let’s Talk
Related articles are shown below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can search using the box at the upper right of the page or browse our forums. We host the largest international forum on PANS/PANDAS and related conditions.
Dealing with a condition like PANDAS (pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections) is stressful enough for a parent, without having to decipher the technical terms involved in laboratory testing. One term that comes […]
Even twenty years after PANDAS (pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections) was recognized, after numerous studies have added to evidence in support of the condition, a debate continues over whether PANDAS actually exists. The […]
By Ellen, mother of Tina Editor: Ellen’s story is shared to convey the serious symptoms and struggles that can occur with an infection-triggered neurological disorder, as well as the determination often needed to find help. […]
Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Strep This article is adapted with permission from the Children’s and Adult Center for OCD and Anxiety. Founded and directed by Tamar Chansky, PhD, a leading expert on anxiety and OCD, the […]
Lyme disease and pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections (PANDAS). An overview. Editor: We have an excellent forum on our website for Lyme disease and its overlap with symptoms of PANDAS, tics and Tourettes, […]
Luke’s determined mother wrote this account about PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections) for ACN Latitudes. The family’s name is withheld on request. Luke was a typical, very good, happy baby. He […]
By Ian’s mother, Nancy After our son had spent a few exceptionally stressful days in 1st grade, my husband and I noticed his little hands were red and raw. A quick phone consult with his […]
- Intriguing Remission of Tourette’s After Heat-Induced Dehydration
- Remembering Dr. William Rea
- Your World and You: Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health – Issue 48 (Premium)
- Should You Homeschool Your Child with Sensory Processing Disorder?
- Lymphatic Drainage Technique for Sinus Colds and Earaches (Premium)
- Success! Naturopathic Treatment for Severe OCD, Anxiety, ADHD and Tourette’s (Premium) on
- Finding our Way Out of a Nightmare: Tourettes, ADHD and OCD on
- How We Reversed Jessica’s Tic Disorder on
- Success: A Severe Tic Disorder Treated through Environmental Medicine on
- Can the Answer We Found for our Son’s Tics Help You? on