ACN Latitudes Forums

Side-Effects of Adderall XR...

Guest Liz

Hi, I have many questions in regards to Adderall 15 mg capsule xr.  I have just started to use it because everything else that I have tried never helped and my grades are suffering a lot.  wheather at school, work , or home my mind is never in my head. I felt as though my memory was bad and I would forget basic everyday knowledge. I started the medication a week ago and use it only I days that I feel like i need it, because I don't want to develope tolerance for the medication. I'm 20 years old and plan on staying in school for at least 5 more years.  I don't know if taking the medication daily will help me more in school, or if taking it when I have studying is more bennifical.  I do know that I probably need the medication everyday but I am scared to become addicated.  When I take the medication I develope dry mouth, I get very cold but feel as though I can concentrate and actually study verse not taking it and having my mind wonder or fall asleep.  It does help me study and feel confident about school, but I recently had an exam and I messed everything up, things that are so obivouse to me just thinking back about the exam.  A major problem I am having is going to sleep which is why my Pharmisist suggested I no longer use the Xr form but itstead the immediate- release.  My doctor want me to use the RX for the rest of the month but I am scared that the outcome will be worse than what the benifit is supposed to be. An example is this morning I took the medication and I feel physically and mentally strained, I don't know if its because I don't have a steady way of taking the medication or if its because by body is still not used to it.  I welcome any advice I really don't know what to do. I also heard people can become depressed by using this medication.  Is there any truth to it. Well i'm going to stop talking but please if anyone can help I do welcome it. Thanks a lot

8516[/snapback]

Hi Jane S,

Well, where to begin. If you are going to take the adderall xr, you should take it as prescribed. although there is 'talk' about a lot of college/high school students abusing the medicine by purchasing it from another source and taking it when they need to cram for an exam, it will have a not so good effect on them in the long run. As with most medicines that are prescribed, your body needs a constant level maintained for the results to be consistant. i experienced much of the same symptoms that you do and the adderall has really helped me a lot. as for forming a dependency, i honestly cannot tell you how your body will react. It is a narcotic, and that is always a risk with a controlled substance. i do not have an addictive personality. i have smoked cigarettes for years and quit cold turkey where others cannot. i have had caffeine for many days on end through years and just stopped my intake without any side effects where relatives of mine have had to suffer through caffeine "detox" withdrawel migranes. whether or not you can form a dependency is completely determined by personality, or genetics. however, if you are going to take the medicine, i would take it every day. also, you should not just "stop" taking the medicine. i myself have developed deep depressions when i have forgotten to take in a new prescription to be filled before running out of the last months supply. I also have experienced migranes b/c it is recommended that the weaning be slow and the dosages be lowered the same way they were increased, 5 mg at a time under the care of your Dr. i don't have a problem with sleep, but i take my capsule detween 5:30 and 6am every morning. i take 25mg at a time along with 60 mg of Cymbalta b/c I am a type A personality and tend to expect the same high performance i exert from everyone around me. so, this helps me to be a little more patient.

Well, i hope my rambling helped. If you can concentrate better , and can study longer, then it is working. your exam situation may have been from the random off and on of the medicine. Or, you may have taken your meds too close to when you took the exam. please give the meds a try following the prescribed instructions before you quit. If the possibility of depenency is weighing heavily on you, then perhaps your Dr. can prescribe something comparable that is not a narcotic.

Take Care, ~Laura

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have many questions in regards to Adderall 15 mg capsule xr.  I have just started to use it because everything else that I have tried never helped and my grades are suffering a lot.  wheather at school, work , or home my mind is never in my head. I felt as though my memory was bad and I would forget basic everyday knowledge. I started the medication a week ago and use it only I days that I feel like i need it, because I don't want to develope tolerance for the medication. I'm 20 years old and plan on staying in school for at least 5 more years.  I don't know if taking the medication daily will help me more in school, or if taking it when I have studying is more bennifical.  I do know that I probably need the medication everyday but I am scared to become addicated.  When I take the medication I develope dry mouth, I get very cold but feel as though I can concentrate and actually study verse not taking it and having my mind wonder or fall asleep.  It does help me study and feel confident about school, but I recently had an exam and I messed everything up, things that are so obivouse to me just thinking back about the exam.  A major problem I am having is going to sleep which is why my Pharmisist suggested I no longer use the Xr form but itstead the immediate- release.  My doctor want me to use the RX for the rest of the month but I am scared that the outcome will be worse than what the benifit is supposed to be. An example is this morning I took the medication and I feel physically and mentally strained, I don't know if its because I don't have a steady way of taking the medication or if its because by body is still not used to it.  I welcome any advice I really don't know what to do. I also heard people can become depressed by using this medication.  Is there any truth to it. Well i'm going to stop talking but please if anyone can help I do welcome it. Thanks a lot

8516[/snapback]

Hi Jane S,

Well, where to begin. If you are going to take the adderall xr, you should take it as prescribed. although there is 'talk' about a lot of college/high school students abusing the medicine by purchasing it from another source and taking it when they need to cram for an exam, it will have a not so good effect on them in the long run. As with most medicines that are prescribed, your body needs a constant level maintained for the results to be consistant. i experienced much of the same symptoms that you do and the adderall has really helped me a lot. as for forming a dependency, i honestly cannot tell you how your body will react. It is a narcotic, and that is always a risk with a controlled substance. i do not have an addictive personality. i have smoked cigarettes for years and quit cold turkey where others cannot. i have had caffeine for many days on end through years and just stopped my intake without any side effects where relatives of mine have had to suffer through caffeine "detox" withdrawel migranes. whether or not you can form a dependency is completely determined by personality, or genetics. however, if you are going to take the medicine, i would take it every day. also, you should not just "stop" taking the medicine. i myself have developed deep depressions when i have forgotten to take in a new prescription to be filled before running out of the last months supply. I also have experienced migranes b/c it is recommended that the weaning be slow and the dosages be lowered the same way they were increased, 5 mg at a time under the care of your Dr. i don't have a problem with sleep, but i take my capsule detween 5:30 and 6am every morning. i take 25mg at a time along with 60 mg of Cymbalta b/c I am a type A personality and tend to expect the same high performance i exert from everyone around me. so, this helps me to be a little more patient.

Well, i hope my rambling helped. If you can concentrate better , and can study longer, then it is working. your exam situation may have been from the random off and on of the medicine. Or, you may have taken your meds too close to when you took the exam. please give the meds a try following the prescribed instructions before you quit. If the possibility of depenency is weighing heavily on you, then perhaps your Dr. can prescribe something comparable that is not a narcotic.

Take Care, ~Laura

8518[/snapback]

8516[/snapback]

Hi Jane S,

Take Care, ~Laura

8518[/snapback]

8557[/snapback]

Hi, Laura thanks for your reply. Your advice really helps. I now have been taken the medication everyday and tomorrow I will complete my first week. I no longer am getting cold as much, and am no longer having as difficult a time sleeping. I am now able to sleep at around 1:30-2:00 which is defiantly an improvement over 3:00-3:30. Over all I feel as though the medicine does help me study but in terms of energy or memory, there still has been no improvement. I also am having a difficult time making a steady scheduled time to take the medication because I wake up at different times everyday. Three days a week I wake up at around 7 while the other four days times very from 9, 10, and 11. I take the medication right when I wake up but the timing varies day to day and I don’t know if that’s okay. I also have notice that around 7 or 8 I get very sleepy and after my hour nap I can stay awake till 2 in the morning. If I don’t take a nap I feel very tired and I cannot do anything the rest of the night. If you or anyone reading this has any further advice please help. Thanks Jane

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone, I'm a college student and most of my colleagues here use adderall and other focus/concentration supplements such as conerta, ritalin to enhance there studying. We'll lately I found myself distracted by the slightest thing. Yesterday I had 3 exams so in the morning I woke up and took an adderall, mind you i'm not prescribed for this medication, I got it from a friend. However, i took the capsule at 9am and I studied str8 till about 1pm and personally I think it made a big improvement in my level on concentration. Now im debating if I should use the drug again when I have to buckle down and do work. Any advice?

Hey everyone, I'm a college student and most of my colleagues here use adderall and other focus/concentration supplements such as conerta, ritalin to enhance there studying. We'll lately I found myself distracted by the slightest thing. Yesterday I had 3 exams so in the morning I woke up and took an adderall, mind you i'm not prescribed for this medication, I got it from a friend. However, i took the capsule at 9am and I studied str8 till about 1pm and personally I think it made a big improvement in my level on concentration. Now im debating if I should use the drug again when I have to buckle down and do work. Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...
I too have a 10 year old. I was never for the meds in the first place but the schools would bug me all the time about he needs on meds. My son has been diag. with ADD, ADHD and ODD! He has taken Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, and Stratera and non worked, he looked drugged up all the time. He lost his appetite everyday. His 8 year old brother weighs just as much as the 10 year old. The effects on him were bad. Hes skin and bones. They also tryed concerta! I pulled the plug on that one because he was conplaining about always being sleeping and the teachers thought it was good him falling asleep in class, one less kid to yell at! Last year we had him in special ed class and they put him on adderall! His mood swings were unreal! I kept him off meds all the summer and he has spells where he just is very hard to control! His issues are behavioral one not learning ones. He respect fear and hurts those who show weakness. What do I do! I want him with no drugs in his system at all. How does the nutrition thing work? I have never heard that before ever!!!!!

I need help badly!!!! I love him so much but hes on the verge of going and living with his father because he is making me loose everything, my job, my money, even close to my second marriage! :(

Angel30...I can't imagine how hard it is of what you are going through with your child. I am 27 years old and currently taking adderall. I am a nurse and Adderall is helping me but I just hate being on a narcotic due to the side effects. I have been looking into alternative means other than narcotics and other medication to control my ADD. I too came accross the diet plan for ADD. It is a high protein and low carbohydrate diet. Along with the diet an intense physical activity is nessesary. The last bit of helpful information was to take an asprin product to help increase bloodflow to the brain. The best advice I can give you is to take your son to a dietician. If you can not do this then look online for the diet I meantioned above. Please make sure this type of diet is not preventing any needed nuteints your son needs.

I too have a 10 year old. I was never for the meds in the first place but the schools would bug me all the time about he needs on meds. My son has been diag. with ADD, ADHD and ODD! He has taken Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, and Stratera and non worked, he looked drugged up all the time. He lost his appetite everyday. His 8 year old brother weighs just as much as the 10 year old. The effects on him were bad. Hes skin and bones. They also tryed concerta! I pulled the plug on that one because he was conplaining about always being sleeping and the teachers thought it was good him falling asleep in class, one less kid to yell at! Last year we had him in special ed class and they put him on adderall! His mood swings were unreal! I kept him off meds all the summer and he has spells where he just is very hard to control! His issues are behavioral one not learning ones. He respect fear and hurts those who show weakness. What do I do! I want him with no drugs in his system at all. How does the nutrition thing work? I have never heard that before ever!!!!!

I need help badly!!!! I love him so much but hes on the verge of going and living with his father because he is making me loose everything, my job, my money, even close to my second marriage! :wacko:

Angel30...I can't imagine how hard it is of what you are going through with your child. I am 27 years old and currently taking adderall. I am a nurse and Adderall is helping me but I just hate being on a narcotic due to the side effects. I have been looking into alternative means other than narcotics and other medication to control my ADD. I too came accross the diet plan for ADD. It is a high protein and low carbohydrate diet. Along with the diet an intense physical activity is nessesary. The last bit of helpful information was to take an asprin product to help increase bloodflow to the brain. The best advice I can give you is to take your son to a dietician. If you can not do this then look online for the diet I meantioned above. Please make sure this type of diet is not preventing any needed nuteints your son needs.

I hope this reply gets to you. This is my first time. My son too has the same heartbreaking problems. today I found a very promising nutrition website. www.nlci.com/nutrition/news.htm It has very useful information including the most recent studies showing that iron deficiency may contribute to ADHD symptoms and a simple Iron suppliment may help alleviate some. Also gives you lots of foods to avoid. Very useful. Good luch

i have taken adderall for just about 3 months now. i've always been thin and slender but i have lost about 15 pounds since i started taking it for ADD that i was diagnosed with in the summer. i know appetite suppression is part of the beginning side effects(thats what my doctor told me) but i wasnt expecting to lose 15-20 pounds. i now weigh about 102 pounds.. is this normal?

:unsure: Hello, my son is 5 years old and just got diagnois with ADHD his doctor gave him adderall rx 10mg.  For the past 2 weeks we have been struggling with him taking it (cap form).  The doctor said it also comes in a tablet but only has a 6 hr release time.  He would have to take twice a day instead of once.  He had a good day yesterday and swallowed it but I softened the cap before hand.  Then today he spit it up twice so I tried another one and he stomped on it. 

If anyone has any suggestions please reply.  It looks like we may have to go with the tablets you can dissolve.  The school nurse said they would administer  the second dose at lunch time.  The teacher cannot monitor his behavior or see if he needs further testing for learning disabilities until the meds are stable in his system.  He also has a speech disability in which he sees the speech therapist twice a week.  Sorry this is so long but I'm in need for feedback. I wish they had a local support group where I live.  Thanks,

atkinson42

My son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with adhd. we too had a problem taking the capsules. In the beginning we tried empting them into applesauce, they still tasted terrible and I had a hard time getting him to take them. Then one day i got some smarties ( the little candies that come wrapped up in a roll) they are about the size of a small pill, we starting cutting them in half and practiced swallowing them with liquid. when he got the hang of that we worked on full size ones. He would swallow two then swallow a capsule. The smarties were sweet tasting so if they didn't go down right away it wasn't a problem. he gradually worked up to the capsules. It took a little time, but now he swallows the capsules with no problem what so ever. Hope this works for you

My daughter had the same problem learning to swallow the capsule. We taught her to swallow it using a straw. She would put the pill as far back on her tounge and then use the straw to drink. It would allow her to swallow easily. After a very short amount of time, she was able to do it without the straw. Good luck.

Krisit

i take 20mg adderall once a day. i am 16 and can't swallow pills, i hate it! every morning i put it in food, like a banana or granola bar & try not to chew it. i usually put the pill on one side of my mouth and chew with the other side then swallow it all together so its not like im just swallowing the pill alone. hope it helped!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I am 46 years old, all my life I struggled at being forgetful or I was scattered brain or stupid. I was diagnosed with ADD a little late in my life. I started taking strattera. It made me sick and sleepy. Is it odd that it made me sleepy? Does anyone else out there get that same effect. I also experienced moodiness and being aggetated, being short with my friends and family. Since then my Doctor has put me on adderall rx 20. I do great with my ADD except for getting agitated quickly, and snapping. Before I was put on strattera, I took zolft for depression, the doctor said that it I should stop taking it because zoloft adds to forgetfulnes ect. My question to anyone else is; what other medication could I take or try with the adderall? I now I could ask my Doctor, and I work with seven doctors everyday, they are very negitive when it comes to talking about ADD. I don't feel like a person or Doctor can really give a true answer unless they are experiencing ADD themselves, and so far I haven't been lucky enough to find a Doctor with ADD. Is there anyone out there that can advise me as to what other medication I can take to stop the irritation and mood swings? :

Hi I can relate to your problem, I'm 46 also. I always had ADHD, since early childhood, I had problems with forgetfulness, and I have serious mood swings, I took "Strattera", which made me feel sick, and I felt sleepy. Before, I took "prozac" for depression, this seemed to work for me, but I quit taking, because with the "Adderall XR", you will have the mood swings, and other symptoms, taking both, my doctor told me. My question to you is, "Are you going through menopause ? This sounds like with me, I had a lot of mood swings, because of menopause. My doctor told me, it was best if I just took the "Estragen" and not the "Prozac". You may need to ask for a "hormone medication" to take for mood swings, this you can take with "Adderall XR". This seems to help other symptoms as well.

• 1 year later...
I am a 27yr old female, and I just got out of the hospital from a severe reaction to adderall. If you are someone you love plans to use adderall please make sure you understand all of the side effects. It turns out that I really do not even suffer from add.

My doctor gave it to me, and gave me no warning of what was in store for me. I told her that I had a bad reaction once to retalin, but she said it was a very different drug.

For the first 30 days she prescribed me 10 mg of the time-release adderall. I was told to call her, so she could see if she had to increase my dose. I called her 20 days into it, and I told her I was a little edgy but other then that I was fine. Without seeing me she increased my dose to 20 mg a day. After starting the 20mg I was unable to sleep that night. Since it was the weekend I continued my dose, but I was unable to sleep all weekend. While I was getting ready for work the following Monday I suffered from a panic attack. I called my doctor and we discontinued the medication. That evening I was unable to sleep, and started to suffer severely. It started with tics, which is uncontrolable movement and talking. I was also starting to see things, and felt everyone was out to get me. This got much worse the next day, and increased my blood pressure so high I had to check into the hospital. That is where I spent the next week so they could monitor me. I was actually pretty close to death, and had no since of reality.

The prescribing doctor rates in the upper ranks of un-qualified professionals. You don't simply give someone Adderall after being told that strong stimulants, as so obviously implied, cause severe anxiety. Methylphenidate is NOT, post-metabolism, a "completely different drug". They yield their affects at different rates and trigger the brain a little differently but the fact is, they're both powerful drugs which DO cause increased activity throughout the entire body.

The correct initial discussion would have involved a full analysis of your diagnosis and even if that seemed alright, a low-ranking benzodiazepine should have given for emergencies. The "edginess" is a common side-affect the may last for months before tolerance and yet without even a single visit, the "doctor" doubled the dose. This was bound to cause panic and over all torture.

People being given highly addictive, anxiety provoking and over all risky drugs should be seen once a week for at least a month given your reaction report to ritalin. After that no dose increase should have occurred until the doctor knew you were a lot more comfortable with the first dose.

Throw me a bone here, who the ###### did you see? This was NOT best practice to say the least.

Hey, I am a 15 year old female, already on Lexapro, and I was recently prescribed Adderall XR (20mg) for ADD. I just began yesterday and so far I am experiencing some pretty unpleasant side effects. Of course, there was the insomnia. Drymouth, excessive sweating, leg aches (I am pretty sure this is from the Adderall, as I have not done any real physical activity), slight nausea, apetite loss (although this is a sort of good thing). My dad has been taking Adderall XR (30mg) for several years and he really seems to enjoy it. He says he only remembers experiencing insomnia. I am really enjoying the positive affects of this drug, the relief of anxiety, stuff doesn't feel as chaotic anymore, everything feels more natural, I feel more integrated into my environment... my mood is (so far) much more even, I can actually process thoughts... and the Euphoria. But the more I read up on this the more concerned I become... it seems a bit dangerous, what with addictions and depending on it and all that, and developing a tolerance... And the side effects for me are less than enjoyable (I also have marks all over my tongue and inside of my mouth from constantly chewing on my mouth/ grinding my teeth... I can't imagine what this would have to do with Adderall but I never experienced it before yesterday when I first started taking it... I suddenly feel very aware of my mouth and am constantly unintentionally moving it around... my teeth ache...). I was wondering if the side effects should go away after a while? How long before I would know what it is going to be like? I was previously trying out Concerta but stopped taking it after a few days because it made me irritable and sick to the stomach, and it just got increasingly worse.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

I've been reading through the posts here and come to wonder where you people are getting your doctors. Someone taking an SSRI should NOT be prescribed ANY ADHD stimulant whatsoever without very close monitoring and for God Sake 20 mg to start off?!

Your father enjoys 30mg of Adderall because he gets high every time he takes the the bloody thing.

Take the pills back to the pharmacy and find a qualified Psychiatrist because this is absurd.

I need help badly!!!! I love him so much but hes on the verge of going and living with his father because he is making me loose everything, my job, my money, even close to my second marriage! :)

Your TEN YEAR OLD SON SHOULD NOT BE ON THESE DRUGS! They change the development of his mind AND body. Treatment for ADD and other psychiatric problems needs to begin with a registered and I guess it is not needless to say, Qualified, Psychologist with expertise in his issues before he is 16.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am 16 years old and was just recently prescribed Adderall XR.

My whole life I have experienced an inability to concentrate on regular daily tasks (homework, etc.); before starting the medication I researched the drug in and out. Although there were side effects that concerned me, I was still looking forward to this experience. I would also like to say that I have never done any really "heavy" drugs before and have only experimented with marijuana a couple of times, I also drink somewhat occasionally.

I was started on 5mg XR about 3 weeks ago and that didn't do anything, then last week I got upped a dose to 10mg.

Since I still wasn't getting enough satisfaction (concentration-wise), I decided to up my dose. One day I tried 15mg, then another day 20mg, then 25mg, and one day 45mg.

I felt effects that were quite normal with what I had researched before (high level of concentration, dry mouth, little appetite).

This week was exams and I was running a little low on the medication so I planned ahead and made sure that I had about 30 mg everyday so that I could concentrate on exams.

However, 2 days ago I tried just having 15mg and I felt little to no effect, same with 20mg.

My tolerance couldn't have gone up that quickly? Could it?

I'm quite worried because after exams I vowed not to abuse Adderall and go back to my prescribed dose but now I don't know if I can because the lower doses seem to have almost no effect. I had my second exam today and had 30mg and could feel some of the effects but not at a very high level (as in I still have lapses in concentration).

Does anybody have an answer to this or am I doomed because of my tolerance build-up?! I realize that I shouldn't have abused Adderall in the first place but I was very stressed because of exams and needed to study!

Somebody please help?

Yes of course, I'll just go and tell my doctor and parents that I was taking more than my prescribed dose and that now I think I need MORE adderall because of this.

My dad would blow a fuse, he's already against me taking adderall and is going to have a little 'chat' with my doctor and see if there are other ways. He's convinced that a little exercise every now and then will help this 'minor concentration problem.'

My parents want me to do well in school and adderall can help. I just wish they would stop overreacting so much!