ACN Latitudes Forums

Intrusive thoughts

DC24

Has anyone found success in stopping these or mitigating them at least? Like with a supplement or something? I am desperate, as it is my last nagging symptom. I also just tested positive for candida. I would prefer not to discuss my thoughts and I know I will never act on them so I'm not quite ready to treat via therapy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Supplements to consider include NAC and inositol, though NAC would take weeks to help (would be worth it if it worked, but it doesn't work for everyone, obviously, or we wouldn't be here). When we tried inositol and got up to a significant dose, it made my kid feel fuzzy, i.e. brain fog, though I'm not sure what would happen now that his attention is better thanks to ivig. Have you tried anti-inflammatories?

Adding, I vaguely recall that NAC might not be good with a yeast problem, though I've seen opinions going both ways on that.

Edited by jan251

Hi DC24, I totally understand intrusive thoughts - I deal with pure-OCD. There's not one supplement that will take it away, but magnesium taurate (or any -ate form) helps chill me out a bit. Please know you're not alone - discussing intrusive thoughts is hard. That's also a good point to understand - they're just thoughts. If they were thoughts you would act upon, then they wouldn't bother you in the slightest. With intrusive thoughts that bother you, cause increased anxiety, etc. that's exactly what OCD is.

I hope this helps- again, you're not alone ((hugs)).

Its so hard to figure out at times what the underlying cause may be - you have to play medical detective. I would suggest a full blood work up, including strep, mycoplasma, lyme & co-infections, thyroid, and inflammatory markers (sed rate, c-reactive, gad -65,etc). Are you treating the yeast?

Regarding the intrusive thought- one thing I make clear to my teen daughter (who is currently dealing with one nagging intrusive thought) is that all ocd thoughts are equal on the playing field. Like the above person said, they are just thoughts and there should be no shock value to them, however bad or intrusive they are. Any good therapist should make you aware of that. If you feel uncomfortable seeing someone, maybe try writing down your thoughts and progressing to paragraphs around situations of your thought. Don't write it differently. Try doing this numerous times throughout the day. People with ocd don't act on their thoughts - its the anxiety around the thought that keeps it strong and persistent, and quite the opposite of their character.

Example - if you had ocd thoughts you are gay (or straight - works both ways), you could write down situations of you acting out on gay thoughts. Its the same for all ocd thoughts, whether you have a fear of germs, vomiting, fear of sexuality, fear of harming someone. They are just absurd thoughts. By repeating exposures over and over, it brings down the fear level/shock value.

Hang in there - and trust me you are not alone

Edited by philamom

My son age 16 has been dealing with pandas since age 12. He started with a few tics and mostly germ ocd. He has been taking augmentin 500mg 2x day since age 13. He was doing quite well and the tics only return now when he is stressed for some reason. This past summer he got beat up by one of the boys at school and immediately started having tics and issues again. Once school started again I could tell his symptoms were worsening but now he is in a full blown panic. He started with these intrusive thoughts that he cannot seem to get past. No matter how much "proof" or common sense I provide him he is just obsessing over this one thought. Like you, he doesn't want to discuss these thoughts with a therapist and would never act on any of it, but he can't get past this. In my opinion it is not even that bad but in his mind it is the worst thing ever. It is taking over his life. All he does is pace around, not eating much, and not acting like himself. I just started giving him saint johns wart. It helps a little when he takes it but seems to wear off after a few hours and directions say to only take 3x per day. His doctor said all I have to do is call her and she will prescribe a low dose ssri, but I am very hesitant to start that due to side effects. We don't have any good therapists in the area who specialize in ocd and I don't think he would tell them even if we could find one. I just don't know what else to do. It is wearing me down just trying to help. We have tried watching you tube videos of people who got over this but that hasn't helped much either. One other supplement that I am considering adding is L- theanine, it s totally natural and safe, but I am not sure it is strong enough. Please keep us posted if you find something that helps so that we can all help each other here. Thanks

• 7 months later...