ACN Latitudes Forums

Diet and ADHD

Chemar-

I saw this on NPR mobile app today- very interesting- certainly something many parents seemed to have figured out on their own. Does anyone have a copy of the study from the Lancet? I am wondering exactly what type of diet restriction, and how they determined this, they used?

• 2 weeks later...

This study was done by testing IgE and IgG levels for food allergies. There was an elimination diet (water, rice, pears, potatoes) for 4 weeks or so and then challenging the "responders" who showed response to the original labs. I was able to see it and I skimmed the article. I cannot link to it here but I was able to look at it. I only skimmed it but I think this is a fair assesment.

I was hoping it was a feingold thing-- I am thinking of trying that for my seemingly hyperactive asthmatic preschooler and vocal ticcing 6 yo.

• 2 weeks later...

This couldn't have come at a more appropriate time for my family. Our son has a *long* history of impulsivity that lately has been spiraling out of control. Our *very* well known behaviorist in Atlanta also told us recently that our son "may have tourette symdrome". I guessed this myself by some of his strange behaviors like saying "quack" in response to being disciplined along with his long standing vocal tic. Just yesterday I asked if he could have a diet related issue and I could hear the disgust in his voice as he basically said "there is no scientific link". They've tried tenex, chlonidine and now he just started on trileptal. I'm trying to convince my wife to go the homeopathic route with diet modification.

• 1 year later...

I would defiantly look at diet. Dd is very impulsive. Has gotten better over the years I think but we try to limit sugar as much as possible. She is milk and gluten free also. When we gave her some cheese weeks after being off dairy she bounced off the walls. I was actually scared and amazed at the same time. She was flying in every direction. Summer is also harder b/c they want ice cream. I get these Mott freeze pops and when she has more then one she is a different person. She wants more and goes through emotional breakdowns and is more hyper. I would defiantly look at diet before meds.

Mar

• 4 months later...

ive had great success going wheat, dairy, and corn free.....especially high fructose corn syrup. when my dd has a piece of gum with hfcs in it, she is off the wall like you described with your daughter. keeping her diet clean of the above means that dd can focus, study, behave, and is just generally a composed 8 year old.