ACN Latitudes Forums

hypothyroidsim

Darla

Hi,

I haven't been here in a while. My son was diagnosed with PANDAS last year. I did not put him on antibiotics daily ( just not there yet) I felt that the diagnosis came very easily and did not expect it. It was just said as a matter of fact and here's a script for bactrim. Although I figured it out before they did, for some reason I just can't think that having PANDAS and taking antibotics is the end all of it. I just keep pursuing why.

He is was recently sick with a virus where he ran a fever and vomited. He is now having major ocd symptoms and developed a tic of clearing his throat. There is some inflammation going on, we are dealing with it. I know it will subside in a few weeks again. But the mood and low frustration tolerance is always there.

We have been to a developmental pedi and a neurologist. We have been told our son has Pandas then a mood disorder, adhd and then possibly bi-polar. We just got back from a different doctors appt with a man who believes that there are underlying biological causes of behaviors. He ran some tests and told us it appears his thyroid is off and suggested we have an oat test, heavy metals test and a peptide test done. Now I agree with all of this although I wonder if hes getting an oat test why the peptide. If it shows food allergies then it would be probably that he would have peptides in his unrine?? right?? But I digress... $650 later hopefully we will find out. I have a feeling hes going to have some food allergies that may be the cause the adhd symptoms. What a mess!

My brother has hypothyroidsim and another brother of mine has pysorasis. A first cousin has lupas. I believe that on both sides of my parents family autoimmune disease is present. I feel that my son has an inflammatory response and/or it is due to an autoimmune disease. His pedi is going to be calling me tomorrow to go over the results and probably suggest an appt with an endocronolgist ( i hope). I think it may be hashimotos.

Has anyone here had issues with the thyroid in their children? Any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. What helps with TH1 inflammation?

Hi,

I haven't been here in a while. My son was diagnosed with PANDAS last year. I did not put him on antibiotics daily ( just not there yet) I felt that the diagnosis came very easily and did not expect it. It was just said as a matter of fact and here's a script for bactrim. Although I figured it out before they did, for some reason I just can't think that having PANDAS and taking antibotics is the end all of it. I just keep pursuing why.

He is was recently sick with a virus where he ran a fever and vomited. He is now having major ocd symptoms and developed a tic of clearing his throat. There is some inflammation going on, we are dealing with it. I know it will subside in a few weeks again. But the mood and low frustration tolerance is always there.

We have been to a developmental pedi and a neurologist. We have been told our son has Pandas then a mood disorder, adhd and then possibly bi-polar. We just got back from a different doctors appt with a man who believes that there are underlying biological causes of behaviors. He ran some tests and told us it appears his thyroid is off and suggested we have an oat test, heavy metals test and a peptide test done. Now I agree with all of this although I wonder if hes getting an oat test why the peptide. If it shows food allergies then it would be probably that he would have peptides in his unrine?? right?? But I digress... $650 later hopefully we will find out. I have a feeling hes going to have some food allergies that may be the cause the adhd symptoms. What a mess!

My brother has hypothyroidsim and another brother of mine has pysorasis. A first cousin has lupas. I believe that on both sides of my parents family autoimmune disease is present. I feel that my son has an inflammatory response and/or it is due to an autoimmune disease. His pedi is going to be calling me tomorrow to go over the results and probably suggest an appt with an endocronolgist ( i hope). I think it may be hashimotos.

Has anyone here had issues with the thyroid in their children? Any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. What helps with TH1 inflammation?

i hope i'm doing this right....i put the link to this discussion that i had with mom2-2

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6903

she graciously listed her experience and she mentioned thyroid and i latched on.

anyway if you follow my questions she gives some replies that have lead me to persue harder this thyroid issue...i now have a full panel coming and hopefulley Dr K will guide me too!!!

I think it's great that you all are taking it upon yourselves to consider other possibilities. Just a word of caution, a tricky part to keep in mind is trying to figure out what the causes are and what the symptoms are. For example, what if the thyroid is a problem. Is that a symptom caused by the various aspects of PANDAS? Is it really the root cause of the symptoms that earned the PANDAS diagnosis? I'm not trying to answer the question in you case, it is tricky of course and you hope the doctors can help sort it all out, but just reminding you of the puzzle.

Michael

I think in most cases it's probably kind of circular. The thyroid can be affected by the same inflammatory/autoimmune triggers that "inflame" PANDAS. But once the thyroid is affected, if it's affected enough, it will contribute to symptomatology. So it can be both cause and effect depending on how you look at it.

I think it's great that you all are taking it upon yourselves to consider other possibilities. Just a word of caution, a tricky part to keep in mind is trying to figure out what the causes are and what the symptoms are. For example, what if the thyroid is a problem. Is that a symptom caused by the various aspects of PANDAS? Is it really the root cause of the symptoms that earned the PANDAS diagnosis? I'm not trying to answer the question in you case, it is tricky of course and you hope the doctors can help sort it all out, but just reminding you of the puzzle.

Michael