ACN Latitudes Forums

Inositol Brands

Im torn between two brands of Inositol powder, Designs For Health or Vital Nutrients. The Vital Nutrients powder serving size is: 1 teaspoon= 4 grams. The Designs For Health serving size is: 1/4 teaspoon= 700mg. Multiplying that by 4 gives 2800mg or 2.8 grams for every teaspoon. So, the Vital Nutrients (4g) powder is heavier than the Designs For Health (2.8g). Why is this and what does it mean? Both are pure Inositol powder (nothing else added). What is supplemetnal Inositol created from? Are there different sources? If so, what source is considered the highest quality and could this be a factor in the weight difference? I will appreciate any info regarding this topic.

Hello

the dose of Inositol is very much dependent on age and weight of the individual to be taking it

Generally, I have always seen 500mg per day to be the recommended dose

here are some links to tell you more about INOSITOL, which is also known as VitaminB8. (note the 2nd link is for niacin=Vit B3 which is also sometimes known as Inositol Hexaniacinate)

INOSITOL=Vit B8 http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....hunkiid=33802#I

Inositol Hexaniacinate=Vit B3 http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....&chunkiid=21769

Hello

the dose of Inositol is very much dependent on age and weight of the individual to be taking it

Generally, I have always seen 500mg per day to be the recommended dose

here are some links to tell you more about INOSITOL, which is also known as VitaminB8. (note the 2nd link is for niacin=Vit B3 which is also sometimes known as Inositol Hexaniacinate)

INOSITOL=Vit B8 http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....hunkiid=33802#I

Inositol Hexaniacinate=Vit B3 http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....&chunkiid=21769

Thanks for the reply. However, I wasn't referring to the recommended dosage. I was referring to the fact that one brands Inositol powder is heavier than the other, and wondering why this is. But the link you gave did have some useful information. It made me wonder if it's better to take IP6 instead of Inositol. Does anyone know?

• 2 months later...

Inositol is the common name of myoinositol, the only form of inositol utilized by the body as a nutrient. Inositol is involved in the glucuronic acid and pentose phosphate pathways that are responsible for products such as glucose, glucuronolactone and water. A common biologically active form of inositol is phoshatidylinositol, a phosphatide found in cell membranes. Food sources of inositol are found in plants, as phytic acid, and meats.

• 1 month later...

Inositol is available from both plant and animal sources. The plant form in which Inositol is available is phytic acid, which can bind with minerals and so affect their absorption negatively.

The body is also able to manufacture Inositol. It is available from wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, bananas, veal, pork, liver, brown rice, and wheat bran, cantaloupe, oat flakes, nuts, unrefined molasses, raisins and vegetables

Inositol is said to promote healthy hair, hair growth, and helps in controlling estrogen levels and may assist in preventing breast lumps. Inositol is a vitamin that is utilized by the body for a variety of metabolic processes.

• 1 month later...

As it happens, we are using Inositol in our home (my husband started it this summer) and my son and I have

been using it since Mar/Apr.

We find that 2grams a day works very well for us. It is wonderful for anxiety, and I am using it

for insulin resistance. I found that link in a great book:

Obesity's Answer by Dr. Kittley

www.obesitysanswer.com

Inositol is also being looked at for depression. (some psychologists believe that anxiety preceeds

depression for some people). And as a treatment for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome--which has

insulin resistance issues).

My son, the ADHDer unmedicated is 25 yrs old now and living on his own with a job, apartment etc.

He has stopped biting his fingernails and even enjoys rollercoasters now! I wish I had known about this

sooner, when he was in high school. The only time he stopped biting the nails was the brief months he was

on Tofranil in 5th grade...it was the first ADHD med that was tried for him. We had to stop it because of

photosensitivity issues.

This is the inositol we get--

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails....s&pid=JRW-01016

Alot of research is being done on d-chiro inositol for diabetics. It is hoped that it will reduce Type II in the future.

Inositol sensitizes insulin actions and you need fairly high doses to cross the blood brain barrier.

The typical OCD doses are very high in the double digit range (up to 18grams daily)... I would not recommend

that without physician supervision.

But the doses we use are easy, and we take it once in the morning on an empty stomach, mixed in juice.

It has no flavor basically.

• 1 month later...

As it happens, we are using Inositol in our home (my husband started it this summer) and my son and I have

been using it since Mar/Apr.

We find that 2grams a day works very well for us. It is wonderful for anxiety, and I am using it

for insulin resistance. I found that link in a great book:

Obesity's Answer by Dr. Kittley

www.obesitysanswer.com

Inositol is also being looked at for depression. (some psychologists believe that anxiety preceeds

depression for some people). And as a treatment for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome--which has

insulin resistance issues).

My son, the ADHDer unmedicated is 25 yrs old now and living on his own with a job, apartment etc.

He has stopped biting his fingernails and even enjoys rollercoasters now! I wish I had known about this

sooner, when he was in high school. The only time he stopped biting the nails was the brief months he was

on Tofranil in 5th grade...it was the first ADHD med that was tried for him. We had to stop it because of

photosensitivity issues.

This is the inositol we get--

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails....p;pid=JRW-01016

Alot of research is being done on d-chiro inositol for diabetics. It is hoped that it will reduce Type II in the future.

Inositol sensitizes insulin actions and you need fairly high doses to cross the blood brain barrier.

The typical OCD doses are very high in the double digit range (up to 18grams daily)... I would not recommend

that without physician supervision.

But the doses we use are easy, and we take it once in the morning on an empty stomach, mixed in juice.

It has no flavor basically.

Hi Im new here...was reading your post.

I have Ocd for 6 years and havent taken meds till recently when i tried Sertraline 50mg it gave me nausia..quite badly I only took 2 tablets...I have since tried another...I seem to be sensitive to them unless its just the dosage any way Ive stopped the second lot of tablets and I was thinking of alternatives...

I read about inositol...and i was wondering about whether its all right for glucose intolerance and then I came across your post. Do you know anything about insitol and glucose intolerance? I would be glad of any advice. Hello to all. Myriad