ACN Latitudes Forums

Sensory Issues linked to plastic water bottle & Pitocin?

myrose

While at my daughters soccer practice tonight, I was chatting with another Mom who has a son in my daughters class. She told me that she is having issues with her son in regards to clothing (tactile)

I told her my daughter experiences this at times as well and I then gave her the number where my daughter was evaluated for sensory Issues and also had therapy.

To my surprise she said she read that the drug pitocin (one to induce labor) and also plastics like from drinking bottles have been linked to sensory issues????

Our conversation got interrupted at this point and so I never got the chance to ask where she read this. My daughters school does a small chapel service on Friday mornings so if she attends I can ask her then.

In the meantime before I head out to the internet and search like crazy for info on this I was wondering if anyone ever heard this or anything like it???

I do know about the plastic and all the bad stuff (chemicals) that come out when its heated. For this reason we never put plastic in the microwave and we never drink water out of a plastic bottle that has been heated (like left in the car)

But I never heard or read anything about it and sensory disorders????

Thanks ahead everyone....Hope all is well with everyone

Myrose,

I can't answer your question, but ...

I, too, knew not to heat the bottles, but was recently told that freezing them is really bad too. Apparently they are not stable at very low temperatures either and can leach. I think the source was Johns-Hopkins' cancer research center.

And for all our efforts to prevent overheating the bottles, in all likelihood they sat in a really hot warehouse with an aluminum roof before we bought them.

I did a quick google and couln't find any association with sensory issues.

I havent heard of those links to sensory issues but sure know of the dangers of plastics

the stores often leave the pallets with water bottles standing outside in the heat :huh:

another reason we have our own reverse osmosis system and store out water in glass bottles, not plastic

What about metal containers? We can not do the glass in school. I guess the one we have is stainless steel??

Anyone have suggestions on how to hold the water safely.

I wish chemicals would just disappear like MAGIC!!!!!!!!

I think only now are they beginning to FINALLY see the ramifications of all this JUNK!!!!! Its very sad what we have done to this place.

Feel better now LOL

I do know about the plastic and all the bad stuff (chemicals) that come out when its heated. For this reason we never put plastic in the microwave and we never drink water out of a plastic bottle that has been heated (like left in the car)

Myrose,

I have also heard that it is not just heating plastic that can release these harmful chemicals....I think the reaction occurs anytime you have extreme temperature changes. I was known for freezing water bottles for coolers, sporting events, etc. It is argued that these same chemical releases can occur when you go from a freeze point to thaw or from a thawed point to a heated temperature.

I'm sorry that I don't know any link between plastic and sensory issues.

Mom2ty

I don't know that I have read of sensory issues specifically related to the "problem plastic" chemicals, but PCB article below article is along the same lines (seems very possible that bisphenol A and such could fit right in here too). These first two articles talk about the suspected problems with BPA. Also, the #7 being imprinted on the container is something I just heard for the first time about a week ago. If you have a 7 on the bottom of your plastic bottle, apparently you don't want to drink it!

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/l...ises-alarm.html

BPA has raised concerns because it appears to mimic the effects of estrogen, interfering with hormone levels and cell signaling systems. Previous studies have shown that people exposed to high levels of BPA have a greater risk of developing uterine fibroids, breast cancer, decreased sperm counts, and prostate cancer. Babies and children are thought to be at greatest risk from the exposure. In fact, the scientific evidence warrants "a higher level of concern than those expressed by the expert [scientific]panel for possible effects of bisphenol A on prostate gland, mammary gland and early onset of puberty in exposed fetuses, infants and children," the NTP report concludes.

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/art...c-Water-Bottles

Polycarbonate water bottles (labeled #7) contain bisphenol A (BPA), which leaches from the plastic even at room temperature and has been linked to chromosome damage and hormone disruption. These are the types of plastic Nalgene water bottles found in sports stores.
This article is a little off topic, but again the way these things all interact, well who knows what's causing what.

Dr. Pessah who was involved in this PCB research has also done thimerosal studies. Something in this article that stood out for me, was the statement about the dose. One argument that is constantly being made is that "dose makes the poison." They are finding that more is not always worse (sometimes smaller amts of toxin can be worse) and I think the first bolded statement is another example of this.

How PCBs May Alter In Utero, Neonatal Brain Development

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...90413204546.htm

Researchers show how PCBs may alter in utero, neonatal brain development

Our results show that PCB binds directly to ryanodine receptors and locks the channel in the open state, causing mayhem in calcium signaling

and

"We think that one of the major reasons we have not seen effects in previous studies is that at higher doses PCBs become toxic to cells and the brain has defense mechanisms to deal with disposing of these damaged cells," he said.

These processes, like programmed cell death, would not necessarily be triggered if a neuron's shape is altered rather than damaged, he added. Both Lein and Pessah agreed that the current PCB studies have broader implications for the future study and regulation of PCBs and other environmental toxicants.

Future PCB studies

"Future studies of PCBs and related compounds should be examined at lower doses more relevant to human exposures," Pessah said.

and

We believe other PCB-like compounds in use today are also capable of changing the structure of protein targets that are contributing to neurobiological problems in humans," Pessah said, "and we hope to identify those and help get them off the market."

This is the abstract of one of the thimerosal studies that Pessah was involved in

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1513334

Uncoupling of ATP-Mediated Calcium Signaling and Dysregulated Interleukin-6 Secretion in Dendritic Cells by Nanomolar Thimerosal

Dendritic cells (DCs), a rare cell type widely distributed in the soma, are potent antigen-presenting cells that initiate primary immune responses. DCs rely on intracellular redox state and calcium (Ca2+) signals for proper development and function, but the relationship between these two signaling systems is unclear. Thimerosal (THI) is a mercurial used to preserve vaccines and consumer products, and is used experimentally to induce Ca2+ release from microsomal stores. We tested adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-mediated Ca2+ responses of DCs transiently exposed to nanomolar THI. Transcriptional and immunocytochemical analyses show that murine myeloid immature DCs (IDCs) and mature DCs (MDCs) express inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor (IP3R) and ryanodine receptor (RyR) Ca2+ channels, known targets of THI. IDCs express the RyR1 isoform in a punctate distribution that is densest near plasma membranes and within dendritic processes, whereas IP3Rs are more generally distributed. RyR1 positively and negatively regulates purinergic signaling because ryanodine (Ry) blockade a) recruited 80% more ATP responders, :huh: shortened ATP-mediated Ca2+ transients > 2-fold, and c) produced a delayed and persistent rise (≥ 2-fold) in baseline Ca2+. THI (100 nM, 5 min) recruited more ATP responders, shortened the ATP-mediated Ca2+ transient (≥ 1.4-fold), and produced a delayed rise (≥ 3-fold) in the Ca2+ baseline, mimicking Ry. THI and Ry, in combination, produced additive effects leading to uncoupling of IP3R and RyR1 signals. THI altered ATP-mediated interleukin-6 secretion, initially enhancing the rate of cytokine secretion but suppressing cytokine secretion overall in DCs. DCs are exquisitely sensitive to THI, with one mechanism involving the uncoupling of positive and negative regulation of Ca2+ signals contributed by RyR1

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/resear...vator_award.php

Recognition from Cure Autism Now in the form of the Environmental Innovator Award is allowing Dr. Pessah to pursue his hypothesis that mutations in specific types of calcium channels may contribute to certain forms of autism and significantly increase susceptibility to adverse effects of environmental toxicants. This hypothesis is based on evidence from the Pessah lab that organic mercury and other persistent toxins -- such as polychlorinated biphenyls, flame retardants (PBDEs), and agents that cause oxidative damage -- can alter the intracellular Ca2+ signals generated by ryanodine receptors (RyR), one important type of calcium channel. Signals generated by these receptors inside cells are essential for normal development and function of both the immune and nervous systems. Dr. Pessah's lab has already found that mice possessing mutations in RyR channels have heightened susceptibility to chemically-induced adverse reactions of the immune and nervous systems.

• 11 months later...

My wife and I were talking about this tonight. She had pitocin with our first son, as he was a few days late. On the first day, after about 5 hours of natural labor, they tried to induce with pitocin. After 4 hours of pitocin, they decided to go home and try again the next day, while my wife was an absolute drugged up tired stressed out mess. Next morning, after more pitocin and an epidural, our son was born. He came out no breathing but they quickly took care of that. All was fine but as he grew older we started to notice that he was sensitive to many things - light, noise, smells, etc. He also had some serious separation anxiety issues. Bedtime was a disaster - we'd put him down and he'd wail for hours every night. We tried everything - Ferber, etc. We decided to co-sleep because we didn't want to exacerbate what he was going through

When pre-school came around, we enrolled him but the separation anxiety kicked in full force. It was debilitating and hard to watch, so much so that we decided to pull him and home school. Kindergarten time came around and he was doing so well at home we decided to keep homeschooling. That was about 4 years ago (he's 9 now) and we're still homeschooling. It has been great - he's a super sensitive gifted kid, several years ahead of the academic and maturity curve. His sensory issues persisted however; he could not stand shirt tags so we cut them out, hated certain types of pants materials, many smells will made him nauseous, bright lights and loud noises were his enemy. About two years ago, we took him to see the doctor and he was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder, which was something completely new to us. The doctor recommended occupational therapy. He was in weekly therapy for over a year and it helped tremendously to the point where its all but gone!

In speaking with other moms in the homeschooling group, my wife noticed a pattern whereby other kids with similar sensory issues were induced with pitocin. A common quality among these kids is that they are extremely bright, advanced educationally, very sensitive and often clingy and mature well beyond their age.

I know that this is a bit of armchair doctoring but my feeling is that pitocin has some correlation to sensory integration. If you search on pitocin and sensory integration you will find that others suspect the same thing as we do.

Happy parenting!

Eric

While at my daughters soccer practice tonight, I was chatting with another Mom who has a son in my daughters class. She told me that she is having issues with her son in regards to clothing (tactile)

I told her my daughter experiences this at times as well and I then gave her the number where my daughter was evaluated for sensory Issues and also had therapy.

To my surprise she said she read that the drug pitocin (one to induce labor) and also plastics like from drinking bottles have been linked to sensory issues????

Our conversation got interrupted at this point and so I never got the chance to ask where she read this. My daughters school does a small chapel service on Friday mornings so if she attends I can ask her then.

In the meantime before I head out to the internet and search like crazy for info on this I was wondering if anyone ever heard this or anything like it???

But I never heard or read anything about it and sensory disorders????

Thanks ahead everyone....Hope all is well with everyone

Edited by kahuna