ACN Latitudes Forums

Hair loss at 17?

patty

It has been a few years since I post in this forum.  My son start to experience temple receding hairline last August and in just 6 months, the hair thinning is getting noticeable.  There is no family history on my side but my husband has frontal receding started in his early 30's but he is receding very slow.  Just wondering such early hairloss has to do with my son's past tourette syndrome, along with food, environmental and chemical allergies, eczema, and seborrhic dermatitis on his head and face.  Just found out my son has Gilbert's Syndrome recently, just above normal.  My son wants to try Rogaine as prescribed by his dermatologist.  Appreciate any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

Hi patty, We have not had reports, to my knowledge, that link Tourette's and hair loss at an early age as you describe for your son.  I know you and he would very much like an answer for that. 

Off the top of my head -- not as advice based on experience -- you could consider consulting an endocrinologist re: the hair loss to see if there is a cause that has been missed or options besides Rogaine. Have you done that? I imagine you are reluctant to consider a strong medication given the other symptoms and allergies you describe.

I checked on the internet briefly, as I am sure you have done more thoroughly, for a connection between Gilbert's Syndrome and hair loss, but only read a couple of comments from doctors that suggest there is not a connection. Of course that is not definitive. What are your thoughts on that?  And how is your son doing otherwise? Well, I hope.

Thanks Sheila for your suggestions.  I will look into an endocrinologist.

Thanks to your book and the many moms and dads suggestions, my son is doing well.  I discovered his tics were triggered by food, environment and chemical allergies.  I was able to find the specific allergens to treat his vocal tics via NAET.  It was an amazing process the witness.  

Since the liver regulates bilirubin and testosterone, I was wondering if there is a connection.  Can my son's autoimmune related issue like eczema and psoriasis cause the body to attack its hair follicle?  His  GI dr. recommended sulforaphane to reduce his bilirubin.  I am hoping once the liver functions properly it will regulate and balance the testosterone, estrogen and DHT to restore his hair.   Am I reaching here?  

He has been getting acunpuncture treatments every 2 weeks and on 5,000mg of biotin for about 5 months and he is still slowly receding.  I am reluctant to have him use Rogaine but he wants to try it.  It is difficult to accept when you are so young and he is off to college this year.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Patty, sorry I didn't answer this, just missed doing so. Sorry but I don't know the answer regarding the liver. "Reaching" is usually a good thing to do when trying to find answers! Acupuncture sounds good -- and the biotin. Are the acupuncture treatments focusing on the liver?

I hope you come up with the connections you need.  By the way, it was so fortunate that you found a NAET practitioner who could help his vocal tics. Sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't, and the skill of the person doing it can make a big difference. ( If it is someone you would recommend, would you please send me a PM with the person's name and location future referral purposes.) 

Anything else new at your end?

• 1 month later...

Patty, I was just looking online about hair loss for someone else. I found this interesting, that iron may help even when someone does not test anemic. I thought of your son and am just passing it on in case it is of interest. It is multiple pages.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/news/20060516/hair-loss-may-be-iron-deficiency#1

• 2 months later...

Hi Sheila.  After many trial of errors, I discovered my son's tics were allergy related.  There is a direct relationship with environmental allergy to his vocal tics.  When I pin pointed the specific allergen(s) and treated it with NAET,  the tics stopped within a few days.  The NAET vials didn't really work.  I had my practitioner use the actual allergen(s) and have my son hold it for NAET treatment.  I also found that my son has a combination allergy.  He can test negative for all the allergy one at a time, but if he were to hold them together, he test positive.  My son had a lot of various pollen, trees and grass allergies and it took a lot of time and patience to collect all the samples and group them in various combination.  The end result is all worth it.  How do I send you a PM.  I definitely would recommend our ND.