ACN Latitudes Forums

dopamine & serotonin

julia24

Could someone briefly tell me the process here with dopamine & serotonin as it relates to TS? I remember when you raise the levels of one of them, TS symptoms increase. I can never remember which is which, though. Nor I do I know if it's more complicated than that (i.e...other factors to consider besides just dopamine & serotonin).

I am starting to dabble in herbal remedies for different things--congestion due to cold, headaches, memory function, etc. I have a large reference book called Prescription for Herbal Healing, and I have noticed that on some of the herbs, it states that they affect serotonin levels.

It is interesting, because if they affect serotonin in the right way, maybe it would actually help tic symptoms. But if they affect it in the wrong way, it could make TS worse, so I'd want to avoid.

Thx,

-Julie

Hi Julie

the fundamental basis for TS is that it seems to be a malfunction of the dopaminergic system

You therefore want to avoid anything that increases dopamine

Many people with TS seem to be deficient in serotonin, and so boosting serotonin is sometimes helpful. This is especially so for those who have co-morbid OCD, depression etc

However, it is really a good idea to try to get a neurotransmittor test done to establish you baseline levels and then supplement accordingly

Here is a recent thread here based on an article on The Chemistry of Tourette Syndrome

HTH

:)

Hello,

Serotonin is the coolant for the nervous system running from brain and all throughout body. It balances and counteracts the hyperactivite energizing qualities of dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline system, or the "Fight or Flight" response. Serotonin happens to be involved in many other mechanisms in the body, such as good mood, appetite, temperature regulation, sleep, and digestion to name a few.

Dopamine may or may not be a malfunction in the Tourettes case. There may simply not be enough serotonin to calm the very driven, sensitive, energetic and stimulated personality of an individual. The "soul", or drive behind the thoughts in some people isn't so aggressive in life, and therefore when their serotonin is low, they are reclined in their bodies and don't push beyond. Touretters on the other hand keep going, so the brain tries to brake, but it can't, dopamine activity is fueled by thoughts. So then the mind needs to let off the steam through emergency break, tics.

Serotonin is made from an essential animo acid L-Tryptophan. Since this is the most deficiency amino acid in our society (because 8 other amino acids compete with it for absorption), we need to supplement with pure L-tryptophan along with B-6, Vit. C and magnesium to help production.

Taking 5-Htp supplements bypasses the rate limiting steps in serotonin production and is not advisable in my opinion, since body cannot regulate it precisely.

Also, dopamine neurons can "malfunction" due to overwhelming oxidative stress. Increasing antioxidants would help this.

Heavy metals such as lead, mercury, inorganic iron, cadium, aluminum, etc can also interefere with normal nerve transmission.

Intestinal dysbiosis, Candida, and other bacterial infections are directly involved in neurotoxicity and the byproducts they release into the bloodstream are direct nerve irritants and should be eliminated.

But each person needs a custom and comprehensive approach. What I mentioned are the most obvious and logical starting points.

Good luck ,

Igor M.

Healing Advisor