ACN Latitudes Forums

Reading Cunningham test results

I e-mailed this to someone and they found it helpful, so I thought I would post it here. It is an answer to a question I asked of Kathy Alvarez at the Cunningham lab concerning my son's "normal" anti-neuronal numbers yet high CamK (168).

"his cam certainly is in the pandas range, and the only anti neuronal antibody.. the anti D1 was elevated.. even tho his titer of 2000 falls within the normal range, it is still twice that of the normal mean. its better to look at the normal mean for those titers and not the 'range'... the range includes outliers, or very high or very low scores. the avg mean gives you a better idea of what a normal score should be. we do assoc. the Dopamine with ocd.. finding it elevated in those kids symptomatic with ocd.

we do see that sometimes the cams are high and the titers for the others can be within normal range. We think that because the cams are run on living brain cells onto which we place your childs serum... that they are more sensitive than the ELISAs that determine the other titers. Elisas are run by binding the antigen to a plastic plate and coating it with a diultion of serum... then you look for the binding to happen, determined by a color change that is read by an Elisa reader. we really dont have a 'pandas' cut off for the titers... not like we do for the cams.

the avg score for a pandas positive kid is 150. normal being 120 and below. just as impt for making a dx is how they clinically present and respond to antbx."

Do you know what is the difference between anti neuronal antibodies and anti nuclear antibodies? A relative is ANA positive so I posted a question about this on the Lyme forum.

ANA are antibodies that attack the cell nucleus. Anti neuronal antibodies (at least the ones Cunningham tests) are antibodies that activate receptors on the neurons.

Do you know what is the difference between anti neuronal antibodies and anti nuclear antibodies? A relative is ANA positive so I posted a question about this on the Lyme forum.

ANA are antibodies that attack the cell nucleus. Anti neuronal antibodies (at least the ones Cunningham tests) are antibodies that activate receptors on the neurons.