ACN Latitudes Forums

Milk and OCD? Can anyone help me?

I have just lost my job because of OCD. I have tried all the regular drugs with no longterm improvement. Since I found the Latitudes website I have been in touch with two people who said that dairy made their OCD worse and they were much better when they stayed off it.

I have tried to change my diet--have trouble giving up coffee--and never looked at food. I don't want to get my hopes up. Anyone have any experience with this? Anything you can tell me?

Tks.

I have a good friend whose daughter has OCD. The girls is about 12 now. A doctor told them to reduce carbohydrates and sugars. They saw a big difference but also thought it was too hard to stay on that diet. They use a small amount of medication.

But she said there was definitely a connection with the foods her daughter was eating. So maybe for some people that is a good answer. Maybe you should just give it a try and see what happens! But maybe first find someone who can help you figure out what you would react to. They say dairy and wheat are the worst for most people who have food problems. I hope it works for you! Hang in there! God bless. Linda

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Francie

I have a friend with a son and when he was about 12 he had terrible TS and also OCD started up. Really bad, out of the blue. When they treated allergies, with the kind of doctor Dr Robins is who is answering on this forum, the tourette went away and also the OCD! they decided it was due to somethings affecting the nervous system.

i wonder how many others have found that. also on some sites people have said that Bonnie Grimaldis vitamins have helped OCD -- but not always that, sometimes other symptoms and sometimes they dont work. But hey, neither do the drugs work all the time.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm wondering if Mary J. has had any luck with her OCD, and if you've found any connection between the OCD and foods you eat.

Many people react in many different ways to certain food additives, especially artificial colors and artificial flavors. Eliminating these items has helped many people control TS tics, ADD, ADHD, etc.

I've been espousing the Feingold Diet on this forum, as I've seen it work for me and my daughters. Check out Feingold.org for more info.

Taking certain supplements has also helped many people with the same things.

Good luck. Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Susie
I have a friend with a son and when he was about 12 he had terrible TS and also OCD started up. Really bad, out of the blue. When they treated allergies, with the kind of doctor Dr Robins is who is answering on this forum, the tourette went away and also the OCD! they decided it was due to somethings affecting the nervous system.

i wonder how many others have found that. also on some sites people have said that Bonnie Grimaldis vitamins have helped OCD -- but not always that, sometimes other symptoms and sometimes they dont work. But hey, neither do the drugs work all the time.

This is in response to Francie, What kind of treatment did your son get from this Dr. Robins to take his tourettes and OCD away? And who is this Dr.Robins? My son is taking Bonnies supplement for about a month and a half, a little improvement so far. But I am interested in your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Susie--you can read about Dr. Robbins on the Forum where the guest are featured. He answered questions for a while. He is an environmental physician, like Doris Rapp who wrote Is This Your Child? and Is this Your Child's World? You might want to read some of the discussion and then get back on the forum. This is a different approach to allergy than the typical approach. It helps some people's OCD and TS.

Best wishes, Sheila