ACN Latitudes Forums

Trigger Effect Time

Hello all! 

I'm just beginning my journey into investigating environmental triggers for my tics and such.

I've started a food journal/trigger journal and was wondering about how long these things can take to affect? 
For example, when allergic to a food that may cause a reaction, would this be instantaneous, or could it take time? 
I'm asking because if I keep a journal it will be hard to tell if corn takes 4 hours and chocolate takes 1 minute!

What are your experiences with this? 
Also if anyone can comment on chemicals, fragrances, dust etc. 

Thank you kindly!!

Hi MartinStoryKapusta, Welcome to the forums. It's smart you have started investigating triggers for your tics, and a journal log is definitely the way to go. You have brought up a good point about the confusion that can occur when food reactions are delayed. That's when looking back through a journal can help pinpoint a problem.

People's responses differ. If someone is truly allergic to a food, the reaction will be immediate in contrast to an IgG reaction or being intolerant to a food where delays as long as a few days can occur. 

Reactions to chemicals, fragrances and typical allergens like dust and pollens tend to be quick if they are a factor in your symptoms. But it is possible that your body is reacting to something you are exposed to so much/often that you don't recognize it as being a problem; it is a cumulative exposure and difficult to detect unless you remove it from your environment and then reintroduce it. An example could be something in your daily diet or an item like your cologne or a pet.

One of the things that complicates tracking down triggers is that reactions can vary based on other influences you have been exposed to at the same time (your total load of exposures), and/or your level of fatigue, or whether you have an infection--and how much of the item you were exposed to. Due to these issues you might react more one day and less or not at all another. But the journal should eventually give you answers.

Be sure to make a note of other factors -- like whether you were exceptionally stressed that day or had an unexpected exposure. I hope you find some good answers soon. It's helpful to eliminate additives in foods from the start -- were you planning to do that? 

Please let us know how you are making out and if you have come across any helpful tips.   

Sheila,

Thank you kindly for all of your help. I'm reading your book as well and it has proven to be very inspiring and helpful. So much thanks to all you have done for this community.

With regards to my question about trigger effect time, it seems it will be difficult to really get to the source of it without just cutting everything out and starting from scratch (I remember a case in your book where a boy was on a spring water fast of 5 days and then introduced foods one by one). However, I'm wondering, would it still be clear if I say, cut out just top allergens like dairy and wheat for a month, and watched for any changes, or does it all have to be cut out at the same time? And example food elimination diet cuts out a few allergens for a month, then reintroduces, and then tackles a new batch the next month. 

Also, I am doing my best to reduce dust, mould, allergens and chemicals in my home as much as possible. I'm wondering about natural scents in essential oils, are those to be cut out as well? Or are we mainly talking about chemical / artificial fragrances? 

Again, thank you kindly for all of your aid!!!!

Martin 

• 2 weeks later...

Martin -- I'm so behind on these threads, I apologize! I'm trying to wind up a book on tic triggers and it has me very tied up. I keep thinking I am done and then something else comes up to delay it.

I would not try to do an entire fast.The point of mentioning that was mostly because it was of clinical interest--it proved that diet made a difference. 

Dairy and wheat would be a good place to start. But also keep a log everyday. Someone wrote how corn was the worst thing for them. . . it is hard to know what the biggest issues are. But wheat and dairy are two of the most common, in general. I think the elimination diet, as you mentioned, makes the most sense as an approach.

It's great you are making changes in the home! As for essential oils, usually those are OK, though I wouldn't go overboard with them --  and some find they need to be diluted. Reports of a contact allergy (skin rash) are definitely reported, and if they can bother the skin they also have the potential to cause problems when inhaled.

This is an interesting article that warns against their use for asthma patients http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/oil-diffusers-asthma

In any event, you might ask yourself why you need to use the essential oils and if you are set on using them, think about using a minimal amount. But to answer your question, yes we are mostly talking about chemically scented products as far as tic reactions. It would be interesting to have a study on essential oils and tics. If you learn anything, please let us know!