ACN Latitudes Forums

Hypoglycemia, Rage, PANDAS-what am I missing here?

Ok, medical detectives, I need some assistance...

DS, 14, suffers from daily fatigue. He has an adenotonsillectomy scheduled for November 4th that the ENT thinks will help with PANDAS and will help with breathing, sleeping, fatigue, etc.

DS, 14, started 8th grade wrestling yesterday. This is his first organized sport ever and he seems very excited about it. That being said, he hates to lose EVER-AT ANYTHING-FOR ANY REASON. I don't know if that is genetic, pandas, or an unhealthy combination of the two. My husband and I are both very competitive. On day 2 of practice, he lost in a drill and he was crying and very upset. He could not be consoled and was nasty the entire trip home. Coach met me at the car to talk about it-JOY. I gave him an apple with peanut butter, he took a shower and is much calmer, but horribly tired.

DS was dripping with sweat and said he was starving. A few other times in his life he has been downright ugly and nasty tempered when he has not eaten on a somewhat regular schedule. Usually an apple with some peanut butter will take the edge off until he eats a regular meal. At one time, an endocrinologist said he had Metabolic syndrome and prescribed Metformin. He took for two months and no noticeable results. Dr B, who was immunologist at the time, said he didn't need it, that he did not have metabolic syndrome. His blood sugar always tests in the normal range. DS, is 5'10 and weighs 215; his shoulders are as broad as a linebacker's. He has recently lost 7 pounds on his own by doing elliptical exercise.

What am I missing here?? I plan to send a snack for him to eat between school and wrestling practice. Will the adenotonsillectomy help with the fatigue? Again, what else can we do?

Things that jump out at me. Fatigue: it always has an impact on Pandas children. Second, you mentioned that this is his first organized sport. I remember making the gymnastic's team in 8th grade....hormones raging, a lot of pressure from first experience on a team....a lot of pressure... I was a mess.....and I was just a typical teenager. I say don't panic just yet...We whom have already gone through so much, sometimes overlook the obivious...just typical age appropriate behavior/reactions. We have all been programmed to look under the microscope because of what we have all been through. Been there, done that. The upswing of that is that this is how all of us have gotten our kids healthy, and stayed healthy. So perhaps he is just being a typical 8th grader....I hope this does not sound unsympathetic, because that is not my intent. I think on our best days...we all hope for typical...Breath...and best wishes.

My daughter contracted Epstein Barr Virus and it really drained her - you may want to test for EBV and Mono. Even after she recovered, she complained of faitgue - a lot! Long story short, she tested positive for a MTHFR mutation and I started giving her methylfolate and her mood swings disappeared. But the fatigue didn't. It was then I learned that I was giving her methylB12 the wrong way, She used to refuse to take it sublingually so I'd dissolve it in water and let her drink it. But methylB12 doesn't survive the stomach acid very well. So we taught her to suck on it under her tongue and the fatigue disappeared in a matter of a week.

It might be worth looking into MTHFR and having B12 blood levels tested.Together, folate (B9) and B12 make ATP - the "ingredient" essential for cell energy.

As for his inability to lose - my DS11 used to struggle with this. Using his 23andMe info, he's now on a B complex that's higher in niacin and helps him with "overmethylation" symptoms. He now loses with grace and is generally more mellow. I know I sound like a broken record, but understanding a child's methylation issues and giving them the right forms and balance of nutrients can produce amazing changes in neurotransmitter balance. If you don't think infection is playing a role, this might be worth investigating.

He tested positive for Ebstein Barr virus last December. Can't remember if it was IGg or Igm. I don't think we will do any more blood work until two weeks after the tonsillectomy. I have read that EBV can hang out in the tonsils and adenoids, so hoping that the T&A will wipe it out.

Snack today helped with mood. I sent some string cheese and whole wheat crackers. Worked quite well. Whew....