ACN Latitudes Forums

son's motor tic

and now for the question about my son. (I've got extra time today so I can ask about my niece and my son ;) )

okay, so I'll try to keep it brief and get to my question, so as not to lose people. (edited warning: this gets long! but if you have time, I really appreciate thoughts and ideas, thanks! I tried to edit it down a bit)

and rowingmom, if you're still on here this morning or today, you've given me great info on this already, but I'll take more! I'm hoping that you and others might offer some more advice.

my little guy (4) with lyme as of last year, did 14 weeks antibiotics and got to about 99% symptom free! But we want 100% of course! I switched him to herbals though in Sept. (antibiotics were getting hard on him and yeast was getting bad)

so, after 10 weeks of no treatment (long story) and feeling 99% symptom free and really good, he started herbals (Beyond Balance) really slowly...1 drop a day, in mid-Sept..

he did well with the herbs until about the fourth week or so.

I increased the dose and within 48 hours of the increase:...motor tic (sniffing)

rowing mom helped me out with good advice about ticcing being an overload of toxins sometimes, and I read online other's saying the same thing, and the llmd agreed too. I do think that's what happened.

so here's the rest:

I stopped the herbals for 5 days and detoxed, and his sniff tic stopped.

then I restarted the herbs again, 1 drop/day, and in two days back on herbs....blinking motor tic started

so I stopped the herbals again, detoxed, and within about 6 days, the blinking was basically gone, just trace 99% gone.

but then I started up the detox herbal formula (which I later saw has an antimicrobial in it, and a warning that herxing could happen from it) and to help detox him I doubled it's dose, and within 24 hours.......new tic! a finger, toe, and lip simultaneous squeeze that lasts about a second, and happens sometimes pretty often.

So, I really believe the idea that the ticcing is happening b/c of lyme die-off toxins, and my little guy being flooded with them needing to detox. All the tics started with 24-48 hours of an increase or restart of the herbs.

I wonder if yeast is in the mix here too, b/c I wasn't so good with probiotics the first few weeks on herbs and he's had previous yeast issues and has fungal cradle cap. So I have him (just as of a past five days) on Dr. Semon's anti-yeast diet (he mentions in his book that ticcing can be from yeast toxins too sometimes.)

And, then there's the mold under the kitchen sink we've recently discovered and are going to take care of next week. (tried to clean a bit in the meantime, but could do better, so will try to again with vinegar).

I guess I never I asked my **question**yet: I'm wondering if can take ten days or more to detox, for this tic to not be gone yet. I guess it all depends. I'm going to email the llmd and ask about giving him things I've learned and heard about like: curcumin, NAC, other ideas? Right now to help him detox I give him lemon water each day, an epsom salt and clay bath, beets juiced in juicer, but want to use more ideas.

I don't think he's relapsing b/c other symptoms are still gone or the same basically.

after the first tic the llmd said maybe to push through the tic herxes and continue the herbs, but I admit I'm afraid to, like I'll send him into tic orbit.

I've made this long and rambled a bit, and now I have to run to get him from preschool.

sorry so long. Thanks for any all thoughts! trying not to stress to much. I appreciate ideas!

Edited by stacestar

If your DS has cradle cap that is a fungal overgrowth. I was actually able to get rid of DD's with ACV messaged into the hair after hair washing. Fungi/yeast do not do well in an acidic environment. That's why you are cleaning the mold under the sink with vinegar. Keep treating with dilute ACV until the cradle cap resolves. Do not rinse. I mix in a spray bottle and just squirt a little on her hair after her bath. It stinks for a couple of minutes, but the smell does go away.

Detoxing can increase symptoms as well. DD13 has experienced this with a Western Herbal detox formula prescribed by our naturopath, although her herx was completely emotional (no ticcing involved this time). If the antimicrobial portion of your detox remedy is killing whatever bacteria is causing the ticcing, more ticcing will result.

Your detox formula needs to be decreased to a point where you are no longer getting the reaction. We had very good luck adding organic cilantro tincture (3 drops 3x daily and NO MORE). That along with DE (1/2 tbsp. 2x daily) has resolved DD's electrosensitivity issues (and mine as well) and decreased other remaining symptoms (low grade headaches and level 1/10 ticcing) to zero.

Higher doses of cilantro will cause yeast overgrowth in the gut as the body tries to sequester metals released into circulation (and thus into the gut) to stop them from being reabsorbed, and may exacerbate your yeast problem.

Edited by rowingmom

hi rowingmom,

thanks for answering to my post. You're so great about helping and I appreciate it! I'm going to take your advice about the ACV in the hair to see if it helps with the cradle cap. The llmd had told me I could get a prescription shampoo from the pediatrician for it, but I never did. I didn't really understand at the time (last summer, I confess) that I probably SHOULD do this. I just kind of thought of it like, well, it's not bothering him, so what's it hurting.

But, the more I learn, the more I do for him. I can see now that I don't want him to have a fungal growth on his head. I don't know why that didn't sink into my head sooner. So yeah, he'll be getting some ACV in the tub. He'll love it (not at all). Really though he's good at tolerating the things I throw at him like this.

The one tic (lip squeeze thing, which I read online would be a dystonic tic, I belief) was much, much less today, thank goodness. But the blinking tic was a little more than in the past week or so, yet not constant.

still detoxing. haven't added any herbs back yet. Don't know if that's best, but I fear he isn't detoxed enough het.

I'm sending the llmd an email on Monday as an update.

I've read in old posts from others here and there that some herxing has lasted a couple of weeks or more sometimes.

I think his yeast needs to be addressed, so the anti-yeast diet is still on.

I do think it's connected to die-off. There's so much involved (so true that one formula for lyme probably won't cut it). Sometimes it seems overwhelming, but I try to say peaceful about it.

herxing, yeast, metals, mold, etc. It can make my head spin to try to figure it all out, but one step at a time.

maybe I should try the cilantro and DE? I'm going to look into that.

Thanks for your ideas!

Very low doses of cilantro only or you will have a flare of yeast as the intestines try to sequester metals. For his weight I would try 1 drop 3x daily.

We had good response with 3 drops 3x daily (DD13 is now over 100 lbs). Increasing the dosage didn't improve response, and only aggravated yeast. You will need a binder of some kind to bind metals dumped into the gut. We use 1/2 tbsp. 2x daily of DE, others use bentonite, pascalite, zeolite, chlorella.