ACN Latitudes Forums

How to switch antibiotics

How do you switch from one antibiotic to another. For instance, DS8 is on 500 mg azith a day, taken at bedtime. How do I switch him to Augmentin? Wait a day in between or just stop one and start the other the next day? I would want to start Augmentin in the morning, so I could monitor for any reaction. So, for instance, take azith at bedtime on Saturday and start Augmentin in am on Sunday? On Monday? Or ...?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone with either personal or medical knowledge.

Thanks!

Thanks for both the answers!

How do you switch from one antibiotic to another. For instance, DS8 is on 500 mg azith a day, taken at bedtime. How do I switch him to Augmentin? Wait a day in between or just stop one and start the other the next day? I would want to start Augmentin in the morning, so I could monitor for any reaction. So, for instance, take azith at bedtime on Saturday and start Augmentin in am on Sunday? On Monday? Or ...?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone with either personal or medical knowledge.

Thanks!

The pharmacists instructed me. Starting the new one the next day was the easiest. But she instructed me also on how to switch the same day. I needed to wait a certain amount of hours between the azithromycin and the augmentin. I think it was 10 hours. When I later asked the doctor he was not nearly as picky as the pharmacist. I would definitely not skip a day... My child can backslide quickly.

May