ACN Latitudes Forums

Kind of an update but new struggles

LindaMW

I first found this board back in 2011 and it was a life saver. I have learned so much for all you awesome parents. If it wasn't for this board I would not have pursued lyme which ended up being my sons issue.

After finally getting the right diagnosis in 2013 we started treating lyme in 2014. Spent at least 10 months on doxy, then mino and biaxin combo. Started Buhner's herbs half way through that treatment. I would say he is 90% better but still has not returned to school because of anxiety. At least he is able to do school work and play sports and has a happy wonderful disposition again.

Then during the school year last year his older brother started getting sick every month on a cycle. Full blown cold, flu, body aches, fever. Lasted about 4 days would get better and return to school. I went to the doctor over the summer and they really did nothing. So this school year starts and he gets sick the second week, same symptoms but this timed followed with severe anxiety and he has not been back. So here we go again. First thing I did was have the doctor order the WB. We are still waiting for the results plus some other blood work.

Funny thing on top of that, my husband runs into a friend of ours who teachers at the local high school were my son goes or did :) She said that between this year and last year they have been dealing with an overwhelming, more than usual, case of kids with anxiety in all the grades. Then on top of that the CDC has said this part of Pennsylvania has the largest number of cases of lyme disease they have ever seen.

So is it coincidence or am I losing my mind? The latter is possible since I have been living this for the past 4 years and am about to go down that road again :)

I know people have said in the past they wish those who have gotten better would come back and share their stories. Even though we are not there yet, we are close and know how to handle this with our other son now.

Stay strong and keep researching, that has been what worked for us. And stick with this board, they know what they are talking about.

If it wasn't for this board I would not have pursued lyme which ended up being my sons issue.

After finally getting the right diagnosis in 2013 we started treating lyme in 2014. Spent at least 10 months on doxy, then mino and biaxin combo. Started Buhner's herbs half way through that treatment. I would say he is 90% better but still has not returned to school because of anxiety. At least he is able to do school work and play sports and has a happy wonderful disposition again.

I forget - have you tested for coinfections, especially bartonella which is notorious for causing psych symptoms?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2100128/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kG7BHlByeQ

Edited by rowingmom

We were in a similar place two years ago. He was doing much better, and lots of issues had melted away, but the school anxiety/refusal just wouldn't budge. We took him to Rothman for 3 weeks of intensive therapy and we saw an amazing turnaround. There were still bumps but we'd learned tools to help him through those. Now he's in 9th grade, back in public school (charter) for the first time since 3rd grade and he's gone every day for the first month with no problems.

This long story is to say that sometimes these things become habits and they need therapy to break those habits. That's not to minimize the role of the infections or the power of medical treatments, but with the brain it can be complicated.

That said, I also agree with Rowingmom. If you haven't tested for coinfections that needs to be done. Also, mold can get in the way too. That was definitely one cause of anxiety for my son.