ACN Latitudes Forums

strep 4th time in 2 months

Are they retesting after each antibiotic course to make sure the strep is gone? You may be dealing with 2 months of constant strep, not 4 different episodes. Unless they test, you will have no idea if the strep is cleared.

My daughter had strep for almost 60 days in Jan 2012 to March 2012. We tested after every round of abx, and she was still positive until almost 60 days in. Then we started getting negative rapids and cultures.

I would recommend finding a doctor who has experience treating PANDAS/PANS. If your doctor doesn't know anything about it, who diagnosed? You can start a separate thread requesting doctor recommendations in your area - that should give you a good place to start.

Also, I would read as much as you can on this forum and ask lots of questions. There are many experienced moms here who are happy to help.

What antibiotic has your child been put on for the 4 positive streps? We experienced this when my daughter first started getting strep at age 4 1/2 (now she is almost 18). I thought she kept getting strep, but in hind sight, the strep was never being eradicated bc our dr kept putting her on amoxicillin/penicillin. If he has only been given amoxicillin or penicillin I would request at least 10 days of zithromax or even a cephalosporin (omnicef), then retest.

The general rule is not to put a child on the same antibiotic that they have been on in the past 3 months should they get strep again, but many drs do not follow this.

Colleen