ACN Latitudes Forums

dopamine and serotonin question

We've never done any of these sorts of exercises . . . never even heard of them. And we've been at this OCD stuff for quite a while now (9 years) and the PANDAS thing for 3 of those years, as well.

Inherently, I don't know how merely smelling and/or touching things could "naturally increase serotonin and dopamine" levels in a person's brain, though I've seen studies that demonstrated that stroking a pet every day could lower cholesterol and blood pressure. So who's to say, really?

Based on some of the most recent information and research, it appears that "naturally" and lastingly adjusting serotonin and/or dopamine levels in the brain likely has more to do with correcting/adjusting the methylation cycle than it does anything else, and that most of the other interventions we undertake, whether it's SSRI's or NAC or whatever, is just a "patch" for the broken/twisted part of the cycle in the meantime. LLM, do I have that right?

It doesn't seem like the kind of therapy that could cause more harm than good, so presuming it's not exhorbitantly expensive, why not try it?

Let us know how it goes!

Based on some of the most recent information and research, it appears that "naturally" and lastingly adjusting serotonin and/or dopamine levels in the brain likely has more to do with correcting/adjusting the methylation cycle than it does anything else, and that most of the other interventions we undertake, whether it's SSRI's or NAC or whatever, is just a "patch" for the broken/twisted part of the cycle in the meantime. LLM, do I have that right?

Yes, Nancy, I'd say that's right.

As for whether it's safe to raise serotonin/dopamine in our kids, it depends. If you have anxiety and OCD, you could probably benefit from additional serotonin. And some physicians argue that you shouldn't supplement only serotonin. Due to the way the body oxidizes neurotransmitters, they suggest that you need to supplement both serotonin and dopamine, tho you'd use less dopamine than serotonin for anxiety issues and less serotonin/higher dopamine for depression issues. You can't supplement these things directly. Rather, you supplement with 5-htp or tryptophan as precursors to serotonin and tyrosine as a precursor to dopamine. However, it's all about balance.

I've never heard of any sort of scent therapy helping with neurotransmitters and I'm not sure how it would be a long-lasting effect. But just because I've never heard of it doesn't mean much. My only caution would be that those who study methylation, like Bill Walsh and Abe Hoffer, would caution that over-methylators would react negatively to strong scents. Some over-methylators have an intolerance for perfumes et al and it can cause a great deal of agitation. So you might want to do a little googling on the topic to see if it applies to your own situation.

Personally, I believe that the most effective therapy for "feels right" OCD is ERP therapy, perhaps supplemented with some amino acids like tryptophan and tyrosine, and getting to the root medical cause - whether that be an infection, methylation or some other misbehaving physical system. But ERP can make a big difference and gives you life long skills.