ACN Latitudes Forums

What would you say?

I have been asked to speak to a group of student teachers. I have been granted a certain degree of poetic license. So, while I have my own thoughts about what I would like to say, I am curious about what the collective response would be if all of you were given 30 minutes of undivided attention to a group of future teachers.

The professor whom invited me thinks it is important and valuable to hear a perspective from a parent whom has been through the educational system with children who have "special needs".

I hope you all weigh in. I think it could be very telling to see what the collaborative responses are.

Thanks!

Q

I'd limit the amount of time spent on the details of Pandas - keep it simple - an allergy to strep, a sudden bundle of behavioral symptoms, medical treatments available...

But I'd want new teachers to know two things -

1. many, many behavioral issues are medical - not bad parents, bad kid, etc.

2. always believe in and support the child. Let him know you can see past the behaviors and know that there's a bright, valuable kid inside. Yes, you have to teach to the child's current abilities, but when a parent says their child is "more" than what you can see, believe them and resist the temptation to mentally assign the child to the "less intelligent" or "problem child" category of your students.

My son's teachers have been consistently amazed at his abilities and character once they've been able to see the "before and after" kid. The ones who believed me and somehow reached the "inner kid" are the ones who've made a lasting difference. They helped my son build self-confidence and resilience because he know they believed in him.

Great response. I second what LLM said! My daughter is NOT herself while in a PANS flare, and PANS doesn't define her!

I would tell them to listen to the parents first and foremost. The parents know more about what's going on with their children than anyone else at any given time. Dont assume that you know about a child because you have information about their condition-- we are all unique (especially Pandas and Pans kids!) Keep an open mind.... Without open minded parents, special needs children wouldn't get half as far as they do! Love our children, and treat them as your own while they're in school. We're putting them in your care for more waking hours each day than we have them. They need to be engaged, inspired and encouraged.... Even when that encouragement has to come by a different means that the rest of the class receives.

Most of all though, they want to be like all the other kids. They don't want to feel different. Do your best to make THAT happen for them. They are already painfully aware of their differences. You don't need to remind them.

And Communicate with their parents! We can help some times-- really!!

Good luck!

Edited by beerae22