It’s pretty amazing that kids can now access fantastic videos and live web cams for free from around the world. Or, make that from around the solar system! They can head on a safari, check out Mars, see world-famous museums and landmarks, and watch all kind of animals in real time.
Our team has come up with the best, most comprehensive set of virtual field trips for you. All you have to do is click and sit back. They can be viewed alone but are also great to watch as a family as you share ideas and reactions. (A tour of the sun. . . are you kidding me? So fascinating!) Find the ones that work best for you and check the live ones to see what’s going on that day!
Zoo Tours and Animal Cams
- San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games
- Live Cams at the San Diego Zoo
- Panda Cam at Zoo Atlanta
- 6 Animal Cams at Houston Zoo
- Reid Park Zoo in Arizona
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bear Cubs (Netherlands)
- Cincinatti Zoo Home Safari
- FarmFood 360 offers 11 Virtual Tours of farms from minks, pigs, and cows, to apples and eggs.
- National Aquarium in Washington virtual tour
- National Aquarium in Baltimore virtual tour
- Seattle Aquarium video tour
- Monterey Bay Aquarium live cams
- Georgia Aquarium has Jellyfish, Beluga Whales, and more
- Tropical Reef Aquarium (Long Beach)
National Parks and Nature
- Yellowstone National Park! See the Mud Volcano, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful Geyser, and so much more.
- Interactive volcano map from U.S. Geological Survey
- The Nature Conservancy offers 11 virtual field trips
- Visit the Grand Canyon and view it from above
- Great Lakes Now has a virtual field trip for the coastal wetlands, algae, and lake sturgeon
- Explore Son Doong Cave, the world’s largest cave located in Vietnam.
- Aquarius undersea laboratory offers 360-degree images for a virtual tour
- National Parks Service offers ranger-guided virtual field trips
- Explore a coral reef in the Bahamas
- Amazon Rainforest Educational Tour
- Adventure sailing through Antarctica
- Mount St. Helens volcano
- Virtual African Safari to see elephants and hyenas in the wild
- African Safari Video of Etosha National Park in Namibia, Africa
- Visit Monument Valley
- Hidden World of National Parks by Google Art and Culture
- National Parks Foundation: Electronic Field Trip
- NPS Webcams at the National Parks
- Virtual Hikes at Rocky Mountain National Park
- Virtual Hike from Rim to River at Grand Canyon
- Glacier National Park
- Yosemite Park
- Smoky Mountain National Park
- Dry Tortugas National Park
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park
- Kenai Fjords National Park
Planets and Planetariums
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
- Star Atlas allows kids to explore over 60,000 stars, locate planets, and watch sunrises and solar eclipses
- NASA has VR 360 Tours of their commercial crew program
- Tour the moon
- Virtual tour of the sun
- Tour the International Space Center
- US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama
- Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas explains the Space Launch System
- Space Shuttle Discovery Virtual Tour
- Boston Children’s Museum – Has a virtual tour that allows kids to explore 3 floors of fun.
- Met Museum – Has a special interactive map just for kids
- U.S. Space and Rocket Museum – See the Saturn 5 Rocket and more on this tour thanks to a real father/son outing.
- The National Museum of Natural History – Has virtual experiences to view exhibits. The second floor Bone Hall is really cool!
- The Louvre – Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art – Has 26 online galleries to view.
- Colonial Williamsburg – Has eight different webcams to view.
- Museo Galileo – Has a virtual museum to view Galileo’s famous inventions.
- National Museum of Nature and Science in Japan
- Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
- National Gallery of Art in Washington DC
- National Archaeological Museum of Naples
- Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy
- Vatican Virtual Tour
- Find more museums here
- Virtual Tour of the Great Wall of China is beautiful and makes history come to life.
- Virtual Field Trip to Ellis Island allows you to tour the Statue of Liberty
- Secrets of Easter Island provides a virtual tour of the giant stone statues.
- Empire State Building 102th floor panorama view
- Interactive Pyramid Map of Ancient Egypt
- Galapagos Islands on the ship Endeavor II with National Geographic
- Ancient Greece virtual field trip
- Buckingham Palace tour allows you to stroll through the home of the Royal Family
- Taj Mahal Tour
- Red Square in Russia
- Visit the White House to see where the president lives
- The Alamo shows you where Davy Crockett made his final stand
- Mount Vernon
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Mount Rushmore
- Liberty Bell
Other Virtual Field Trips
- Google Street View allows you to go anywhere in the world to visit famous places and landmarks
- 360° Cities provides high-resolution panoramic images of locations all over the world
- Nearpod VR allows educators to take their classes on virtual field trips around the world on any device.
- Google Expeditions app allows you to do 900 different virtual reality experiences
Have any other virtual field trips that we should add to the list? Feel free to let us know by leaving a comment below.