ACN Latitudes Forums

Why Mycoplasma IGG Levels are Important

Hello:

Momofgirls, from the forum, sent me this article last night and I thought it was a great article explaining why the IGG levels in Mycoplasma are important even if the IGM levels are negative and how the IGM levels may not rise with recurrent infections.

http://www.mycoplasmapneumonia.net/immune-response-to-mycoplasma-pneumoniae/

Good research Kim!

Elizabeth

"Infection caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae also includes specific T-cell-mediated immunity. Thus, lymphocytes from persons who have already had the infection earlier, will be subjected to blast transformation in case of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Leukocytes from those who suffer from Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections will also have chemotaxis symptoms when the organism is present. In this case, a person will have a response in the form of IFN- presence in the blood."

This is an interesting article, since I've had 2 doctors tell me my families high IGGs are nothing to worry about. I'm going to see an infectious disease doctor this Friday for my constant fever and test scores. I'll take the article and see if I can get an explanation.

I just looked up 'IFN' on the internet... beyond my knowledge of medicine...

Shannon

Mycoplasma pneumoniae IgG/IgM

Ds had general igg, iga,igm and subclasses done, but to my knowledge not mycoplasma. What are the specific names if the tests for mycoP? Something like mycoplasma igm? Is there some thing about other levels that might make the doctor run a mycop test?

Any idea how long after IVIg that the levels should come down?

For those whose children have had IVIG, the procedure can apparently make IgG and IgM myco-p levels rise without necessarily being re-infected in the interim between measurements. This is not always the case, but a possibility.

Our doc says 4-6 weeks is when you start making your own antibodies again. I have heard Dr K says 12 weeks (someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong - he is not our doc - this is just what I remember from posts) We waited 13 weeks to retest. We're STILL positive for IGG. Aaargh!!!

Our dd10's levels were as follows:

IGG 2/10: 1.64 then IVIG 5/10 then retested 7/10:3.02

IGM 2/10: 672 then IVIG 5/10 then retested 7/10: 764

Her only known Myco-p infection was in 3/2007!!!! So, YEARS to come down seems accurate to me and hers elevated from the donor immunoglobulin. Are these measurements elevated in the population at large right now? Certainly seems like a possibility.

During this time frame, there was no identifiable illness or escalation of behavioral symptoms, no raging that is commonly reported with elevated myco-p. During this time frame she took 1 month zith, 2.5 months of full strength biaxin and full strength Augmentin after the IVIG. That is 5 months of full strength abx, no elevation of physical or behavioral symptoms and her measured IGG and IGM values for myco-p increased, IGG almost doubled.

Edited by JAG10

2/10 (5/10-IVIG) 7/10

IGG 1.64 3.02

IGM 672 764

Her only known Myco-p infection was in 3/2007!!!! So, YEARS to come down seems accurate to me and hers elevated from the donor immunoglobulin. Are these measurements elevated in the population at large right now? Certainly seems like a possibility.

During this time frame, there was no identifiable illness or escalation of behavioral symptoms, no raging that is commonly reported with elevated myco-p. During this time frame she took 1 month zith, 2.5 months of full strength biaxin and full strength Augmentin after the IVIG. That is 5 months of full strength abx, no elevation of physical or behavioral symptoms and her measured IGG and IGM values for myco-p increased, IGG almost doubled.

i'm sorry to always ask these questions...so many kids to keep straight....

is your daughter symptom free currently?

how long after ivig did it take to get remission?

and sorry to make you repeat...it's been 5 months since ivig?

thanks jag

2/10 (5/10-IVIG) 7/10

IGG 1.64 3.02

IGM 672 764

i'm sorry to always ask these questions...so many kids to keep straight....

is your daughter symptom free currently?

how long after ivig did it take to get remission?

and sorry to make you repeat...it's been 5 months since ivig?

thanks jag

No problem!

Those are dates above, so her blood work for myco-p was first measured in feb/2010, then IVIG in May 2010, then retested July 2010. It's been about 16 weeks since her IVIG. No, I would not say she is symptom free, I would place her in that 75-80% category with mainly school/focusing/delayed cognitive processing issues remaining (albeit reduced though) and mild behavioral regression/immaturity;but the OCD seems IN CHECK!!! She had a re-exposure 4 weeks ago that did cause a minor setback of two weeks total, but we smacked it down with full strength abx for 14 days. I would say she experienced some volatility through week 11 and aside from the re-exposure, has been fairly steady since then.

Before IVIG, I could have NEVER sent her to school "med-free", not that they helped her that much, but w/o psych meds she was even more off the wall than she was with them. This is the first time in 4 1/2 years she is attending school free of either a stimulant, anti-depressant or mood stabilizer; just Augmentin and pure grade Omega 3s. She used to take Straterra and I wonder if that would help her while her brain continues to heal, but for now we are holding steady without it to see if she can handle a 5th grade workload. She is the one whose little sis had her tonsils out last friday to help keep her healthy; of course, we're not telling dd7 that little nugget of info :ph34r:

and to keep you on your toes...

i'm sure you probably have some thoughts..

do you think you will doing another ivig to knock out the rest..or are you using it only incase of relapse...

or am i prying...?

I think we need to give it another 5 months.... if from now til the nine month mark she just holds steady... it would be worth discussing. She will be 11 in December and is on the cusp of puberty. Since IVIG 16 weeks ago, she has grown 3 inches and gained 12lbs.... so that is a lot going on in one pre-teen body, don't you think?

I'm also curious to find out what was lurking in little sis's T and A's.

It might make the decision easier if the collective "we" make some headway with insurance companies in the interim......

I am not so naive as to think we are out of the woods, friends. She had her IVIG at an opportune time, end of May, we kept her out the rest of the school year and got the bulk of that critical first 12 week post IVIG period behind us exposure free until the very end. So it appears she handled the first exposure well, but there will be many more to come in the next 8 months. All we can do is teach her to practice universal precautions as faithfully as possible and pray her exposures are minimal.