ACN Latitudes Forums

Xylitol and Strep

cfrei

my kids use biotene toothpaste and have x-clear nasal spray, both with xylitol. last sept, we tried to do nose-spray each day after school but it didn't last as a routine too long, now we use it for stuffy/runny nose.

i keep these as a 'can't hurt and may just help' attitude but i don't believe it does much for preventing strep, esp with kids who have obvious issues relating to strep.

Has anyone had any experience with Xylitol and its ability to help prevent strep? Thanks, Cindy

Our DAN recommended it to us as did our homeopath because some strep does reside or take up residence in the mouth and nasal cavities, I believe Xylitol has anti bacterial properties. The idea was to prevent or minimize new exposures. Our Homeopathic dentist is also carrying a lot of xylitol for prevention of gingivitis (sp?) and oral cancer. Does it work? Well, we're still here. Strep is nasty. But, most of the products we have tried seem better for our family than drugstore brands so we lean that way.

Our son was unable to brush his teeth for > 1 year due to OCD contamination fears. We at least convinced him to chew xylitol-based gum after meals, and he actually liked it and chewed it most of the day. (Kind of became another obsession after a while.) We had read that it's great for preventing infection (including strep strains) in the mouth and gums.

Anyway, now that he's doing so much better, he had his 1st dental appointment in > 2 years a few weeks ago. Amazingly, the dentist said his teeth looked great: minimal plaque and no cavities! Dentist was shocked.

So we're firm believers in the power of xylitol, at least in chewing gum!

What a coincidence this thread popped up - I just got my order of XClear in the mail yesterday. We have used it it the past but haven't in a while, so I am hopping this will help a bit. I definitely suspect nasal strep in my youngest son and think irrigation plus Xylitol is helpful for clearing that up.

We have been using Biotien toothpaste for years and really like it.

my kids use biotene toothpaste and have x-clear nasal spray, both with xylitol. last sept, we tried to do nose-spray each day after school but it didn't last as a routine too long, now we use it for stuffy/runny nose.

i keep these as a 'can't hurt and may just help' attitude but i don't believe it does much for preventing strep, esp with kids who have obvious issues relating to strep.