ACN Latitudes Forums

Using Royal Jelly as a multi

mommyfor4

Hi , I'm sure this has been asked before, but if I am using Royal Jelly as a multi do I need to supp. other B Vitamins (I see alot about 6 and 12) and would it still be benificial to have something for minerals? I feel like I'm at info. overload, looking in too many places for triggers. I guess I should restart with what his body is not getting. He is on Natural calm, 1000 iu of D, Omega 3, and probiotic yogurt. He's still off gluten, dairy and artificial everything. What am I missing? His naturopath is supportive but I dont think Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder is his specialty. He is helping to weed through food sensitivities etc. maybe I'm just feeling impatient because my gut says it's what he's missing that I really need help with. Trying to be positive and patient. Thanks for any advice. Megan

Also he seems to pretty reactive to a fair amt. of fruit, is this indicitive of anything? Leaky gut? Candida?

Hi

Royal Jelly can't really be used *as* a general multi but rather to supplement a diet rich in most of the essential vitamins and minerals etc. It is very rich in nutrients so it does give a lot of the good stuff.

It has a very good level of the B's, and so we find it is a good substitute for the multi-B Complex (which my son does not tolerate at all)

but my son finds he still needs his B6(as P-5P) and methylB12, and the little bit of Inositol that he also takes separately

the fruit reaction could be Candida (check the useful threads pinned thread for an easy at home test) but may also be salicylate sensitivity.

has your naturopath sugested trying L-carnitine for the vocal tic? It can help some people with Tourette vocals, but it is one of those trial and error amino acids so do talk to your doc before trying it.

Cheri

Thanks, we have an appt. next week so this gives me some good areas to discuss with him. He has not yet mention L-carnitine, but to be honest, our visits have been sporatic at best, while seeking a diagnosis and working through elimination diets etc. After being patted on the head by so many Dr.'s , I guess I just gave up on all of them for a bit, even the good ones and started manically researching on my own. Time to trust the good ones and have some patience with the process. Not easy for a type A personality ;)

I cannot express my gratitude for all your quick answers and support. Megan

Hi , I'm sure this has been asked before, but if I am using Royal Jelly as a multi do I need to supp. other B Vitamins (I see alot about 6 and 12) and would it still be benificial to have something for minerals? I feel like I'm at info. overload, looking in too many places for triggers. I guess I should restart with what his body is not getting. He is on Natural calm, 1000 iu of D, Omega 3, and probiotic yogurt. He's still off gluten, dairy and artificial everything. What am I missing? His naturopath is supportive but I dont think Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder is his specialty. He is helping to weed through food sensitivities etc. maybe I'm just feeling impatient because my gut says it's what he's missing that I really need help with. Trying to be positive and patient. Thanks for any advice. Megan

Also he seems to pretty reactive to a fair amt. of fruit, is this indicitive of anything? Leaky gut? Candida?

Hi Megan,

I don't know the specifics of your case, but it sounds like my son may be similiar. I would really look at the feingold diet and the effect of salicylates. It made a big difference for us, the clue for us came when Zack was doing realy well then had about 5 red grapes and went ballistic. I found the naturopath for us was a little off for Zack. He was eating blueberries and raspberries like no tomorrow and was out of control.

Chemar -- what does the Royal Jelly give you?? I haven't read it anywhere, TIA

Hi Megan,

I don't know the specifics of your case, but it sounds like my son may be similiar. I would really look at the feingold diet and the effect of salicylates. It made a big difference for us, the clue for us came when Zack was doing realy well then had about 5 red grapes and went ballistic. I found the naturopath for us was a little off for Zack. He was eating blueberries and raspberries like no tomorrow and was out of control.

Hi CDNRaider,

Can you give a brief overview of the Feingold diet? I checked out the website, saw that the program has to be purchased and didn't come away with a good idea of what is behind it.

I've identified red grapes as a no food for my son, and am wondering if there might be a connection between them and other foods I might be needing to target.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

The feingold diet in an nutshell is to remove artificial colours, artificial flavours, preservatives and foods high in salicylates -- egs are berries, apples, red grapes, oranges, peppers, tomatos etc. It is closely related to the Phenol Sulfotransferase (PST) deficiency in which some kids have difficulty metabolizing and eliminating phenols (which the salicylates are a type of). We have found that the Feingold diet and magnesium supplements have been very positive. I am looking at ways to improve efficiency of the phenol sulfotransferase right now -- there are a number of options, I just haven't decided which path to start with yet -- but likely will involve changing his B , vitamin levels and adding NAC, glycine and glutamine. I am also looking at some herbs to help with liver detox -- specifically dandelion and schizandra chinensis, but I haven't decided which order to do things in.

Hi Chris,

The feingold diet in an nutshell is to remove artificial colours, artificial flavours, preservatives and foods high in salicylates -- egs are berries, apples, red grapes, oranges, peppers, tomatos etc. It is closely related to the Phenol Sulfotransferase (PST) deficiency in which some kids have difficulty metabolizing and eliminating phenols (which the salicylates are a type of). We have found that the Feingold diet and magnesium supplements have been very positive. I am looking at ways to improve efficiency of the phenol sulfotransferase right now -- there are a number of options, I just haven't decided which path to start with yet -- but likely will involve changing his B , vitamin levels and adding NAC, glycine and glutamine. I am also looking at some herbs to help with liver detox -- specifically dandelion and schizandra chinensis, but I haven't decided which order to do things in.

Hi Chris,

Thanks!

It's interesting stuff. Yesterday, my son had the second and (supposedly) final set of his skin-prick food allergy tests, and added to the already identified caution foods (including grapes as a food to be "rotated") were apples, which was a surprise, and chocolate, which was a blow! For some reason, he wasn't tested for other the berries. I think the allergist was basing his foods to be tested on a list of his diet that we prepared for him and maybe we left them off, but I wouldn't think we missed them. So maybe we'll have to get back for a third set of tests and see if the berries show up. That would seem to point to a salicylate issue.

Hi Megan,

CDNRaider,

Thank you, I have a great list of subjects for the naturopth. I have read up on the Feingold diet but have not really gone past removing all artificials, preservatives, chemicals etc. He is off wheat and dairy (except yogurt) but he loves fruit and veggies, so I have not really looked too closely yet at which could be triggers. My gut feeling says there are issues there, I just wasn't ready to tackle it yet. I will definately be looking into salicylate sensitivity after both you and Chemar twigging onto it. After reading more about it, it seems very probable. Gave a challenge just now with red grapes will be interested to see. Thanks again and please keep updating on your ds, nice to compare notes especially if they seem to have similarities. Megan