ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom Probiotics (6 strain) powder

My ds is approx. 55 pounds (6 years old). I give him approx. 400 billion cfu daily... 200 at lunchtime and 200 at bedtime.

I also give him a Culturelle at bedtime (open up the capsule and pour the powder in his drink). That's another 30 billion or so.

I give a florastor in the morning w/ his azith, then about 300 billion cfu of Custom Probiotic 6 Strain in the evening.

We use good belly juice. Has 20 billion cfu per drink. Also, powerdophilus by Country Life has a good reputation ( we do not use them though because some powder form probiotics cause my dd to tic more). I am not sure I give enough after reading some of this. Do you worry about die off with these high amounts? I do, so I keep it smaller but consistent.

I give florastor in am at wake up before breakfast. Buy it behind the counter at pharmacy. Open capsule and put in a dixie cup full of water. Also put it in applesauce.

I am going to start culturelle today, probably at bed time. Found it at Walgreens, Culturelle for Kids

I don't know anything about this die off thing....

Please keep the survey going so we can all learn.... Thanks!!

We have DS13, 135 lbs.

We give sach boulardis, PB8 (probiotic blend, no strep t. in it, though), and another probiotic blend (sometimes Norwegian Forumla, sometimes another brand) three times daily; total organism unit count is about 150 to 170 billion per day.

For yeast die-off, etc., I would recommend trying bentonite clay. We saw a tremendously positive change in DS's digestion/gut once we began using it to help "sweep out" all that detritus. We only use every 2 to 3 days, one tablespoon of the clay (i's in a water suspension) to 3 tablespoons of juice; it doesn't change the flavor of the juice, just the texture a bit, so he doesn't mind it much. You're supposed to give on an empty stomach, so we do it first thing in the morning, 10 or 15 minutes before breakfast.

Could we start a response thread on probiotic usage?

What are you using?

What is the dosage? perhaps including per weight or age or per antibiotic

Is it a pill or powder?

Where do you get it?

Anything else that might be helpful about it.

Right now we're using Therbiotic Detoxification Support from Klaire Labs, no strep strains.

Wow, talk about feeling like i'm not giving enough - we use yum yum dophilus, chewables, 2pd = 1billion.

ds8 also drinks a lot of Lifeway Kefir which says 7-10bill per serving.

Could we start a response thread on probiotic usage?

What are you using?

What is the dosage? perhaps including per weight or age or per antibiotic

Is it a pill or powder?

Where do you get it?

Anything else that might be helpful about it.

We use Custom probiotics 4 strain (2 lacto, 2 bifido) 400 billion CFUs spaced as far from antibiotics as possible. My daughter is 45 lbs. We have seen no "die off".

we get it at : www.customprobiotics.com

HLC high potency capsules by Pharmax (haven't seen it anywhere except the internet)

8 billion viable cells per capsule......one capsule every other day. You can take as capsule, or, easily open and mix in liquid....it dissolves completely with no residue or taste. They actually sell a powder that is apricot flavored. I have to buy capsules because one son takes the capsule, and, the other prefers me to open and dissolve it....they always have to disagree! -_-http://www.rockwellnutrition.com

75 (8) and 105 (almost 11) pound boys....no yeast issues....3 years on antibiotics. (Augmentin 250 mg in am...probiotic in evening after dinner) We also have done Florastor on occasion.

Interesting thing I noticed on the label this time I ordered it (I swear it wasn't on there before)....under risk information, it says if you have an immune-compromised condition, do not use. Anyone have any thought on why that might be a risk?

My boys are both mildly IGG immune deficient...and PANDAS.....is that us? Anyone have any thought on why that might be a risk?

I wonder...but, they have been taking it for years so I don't think it is harming them....just an interesting thing I read.

Edited by P.Mom

Symbion

Right now they are taking 1 a day but they took 2 a day for several months. They are ages 8 and 9 (50 and 80 lbs) and are taking 250 mg zithromax daily.

It's a pill. I open the capsule and mix with a smoothie for dd8 who can't swallow pills

I order it off the internet. http://www.symbionprobiotics.com/

I think it's really helped my girls yeast issues.

Symbion Ingredients: Bacillus coagulans (200 million CFU*), Bacillus subtilus (100 million CFU), Enterococcus faecium (100 million CFU), Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).

Nancy, or anyone, can you explain die off?

Technically, no. My layman's understanding, however, is that as the antibiotics go to work in your system, they also tend to kill off much of the gut flora typically in place. I take that dead flora as the "die-off." There're also some instances in which strep and other bacterial illnesses actually reside in the gut, so presumably there would be die-off from the antibiotic's work against those agents, as well.

Depending on your particular chemistry and body make-up, it can be difficult for the gut to rid itself of all this detritus, particularly if you're not partaking in a high-fiber diet. I would think kids, especially, might be more prone to holding onto some gut detritus . . . at least mine would be . . . because "high fiber" is like a dirty phrase to him. :P We eat only whole-grain breads and he's pretty good about eating fresh fruit, but he's not big on greens or cereals, let alone bran muffins or bran cereal.

So, we decided to try the bentonite clay, and it appears to have worked for us. There was an immediate shift in his gut response, and quite honestly, his attitude, within the first week or so of using it.