ACN Latitudes Forums

IGENEX results

Okay.... 31 and 83 are Lyme specific...not sure about 93(I think it goes along with 83). But, they are marked as (IND)...

which means there MAY have been something, but, they are not confident enough to say those bands are positive.

In my opinion, if I got these results, I would consider them negative. You child has been with symptoms for a bit now, and, the IGG should be positive by now with Lyme...the IGG is negative, and, the specific bands are IND. HOWEVER, since you are on the fence about it are and considering a steroid taper...if the doc is not to far away and won't make you go broke....it would probably be best to go get it checked out.

Make sure you mention the possibility of PANDAS, also.....Lyme docs have Lyme on the mind and may overlook other causes for your childs symptoms.

Edited by P.Mom

Ok my columns got scrambled when I posted so I'll try it this way.....

IGG

41 ++ (double positive)

58 +

IGM

31 indeterminate (IND)

41 +

83-93 IND

So they are not the same...what does that say then?

THANKS!

There has been a lot of talk on the forum lately about interpreting the ingenex results. It is important for everyone to understand that a blood test cannot rule out Lyme Disease b/c Lyme is a CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS. Getting Igenex testing done is a great idea but it should be interpreted by a lyme literate doctor in conjunction with a review of the patient's symptoms and a physical exam. It is after all only a test for antibodies and some people do not make antibodies to lyme. You can have igenex do a follow up test for approx 125 where they check the indeterminate band 31 against all positives in their database. They did that for me and I learned that I was band 31 positive.

An indeterminate band is not a negative. It means there was something there but it was more like a faint line instead of a thick line. In my opinion an indeterminate band is often smoke indicating that there is fire. Thats just my opinion but I have seen this repeatedly with family members who later tested fully positive for lyme.

To illustrate this I dug up my own igenex test, which was cdc and igenex negative. These were my results: IGG: band 31 IND; band 41 positive. IGM: band 31 IND, band 34 IND, band 39 IND and band 41 positive. The only band that was positive in my first lyme test was the non specific band 41 but I definitely had lyme. I later tested positive on the lyme dot blot test from Igenex. A couple of my kids had similar test results but they had lyme, were treated and are better. I would definitely consult a llmd because your test shows two double starred bands that are indeterminate under the igm section (which usually indicates an acute infection), bands 31 and 83. One of these bands is band 31 which only shows up after a year of exposure to lyme. A llmd would be better able to tell you whether or not a lyme treatment might help your child.

Bands 31, 83, and 93 are considered specific for lyme. The IND result indicates something showed up, but not so much that they are confident calling it positive. I have read that some docs treat that as positive, and I know at least one that does, as mine does. I think that western blot is pretty significant, considering the positive and IND's. I do hope you get that appointment back. If you are lucky, the doc will know something about PANDAS as well to consider that ... not all of the lyme docs do, but some of them do.