ACN Latitudes Forums

Lost tooth and PANDAS exacerbations?

My daughter who has been having the trouble with rages and bad OCD even after starting the Zith lost

a tooth tonight. Could this have caused the flare up? And if so, why????

God bless,

Holly

My daughter who has been having the trouble with rages and bad OCD even after starting the Zith lost

God bless,

Holly

Hi Holly--

Well, tooth loss and subsequent Pandas episodes were one of those, "OH, yes!" situations for us--when we read it on this forum for the first time...

Truly, if we had not lived through Pandas we would have difficulty believing it...

SO much of what we have experienced (tooth loss episodes, spitting/saliva, urinary issues, writing issues, blank stare, dilated pupils, OCD that manifests in similar ways including step-stepping, bathroom issues, etc.) SO much of what we have experienced has been seen by other PANDAS parents, and yes, I am sorry to say tooth loss triggered episodes. The thought is that the blood-brain barrier is breached (?) (Buster would know better then I--) but that is my understanding.

For what it is worth-- YES, and our younger daughter lost 4 teeth this summer, oh joy!

:)

Edited by T.Mom

God bless,

Holly

Hi Holly--

Well, tooth loss and subsequent Pandas episodes were one of those, "OH, yes!" situations for us--when we read it on this forum for the first time...

Truly, if we had not lived through Pandas we would have difficulty believing it...

SO much of what we have experienced (tooth loss episodes, spitting/saliva, urinary issues, writing issues, blank stare, dilated pupils, OCD that manifests in similar ways including step-stepping, bathroom issues, etc.) SO much of what we have experienced has been seen by other PANDAS parents, and yes, I am sorry to say tooth loss triggered episodes. The thought is that the blood-brain barrier is breached (?) (Buster would know better then I--) but that is my understanding.

For what it is worth-- YES, and our younger daughter lost 4 teeth this summer, oh joy!

:)

Yes..will cause symptoms...

question...could it be in part the surge in hormones or what ever is needed to push the tooth forward as well?

I think the explanation is that the lost tooth (ie. the little wound in the gum) can cause bacteria to be released into the blood stream. (Our rheumatologist (sp?) said a similar thing can happen with nose picking!)

I would think the antibiotics should help a lot with these symptoms, but it might be a good time to add in advil for a few days if you aren't already doing so, or consider temporarily bumping up the abs...

Thats interesting. My son was diagnosed with PANDAS around the time when he was losing his first teeth at the beginning of 2010. When he was showing symptoms of illness and behavior changes I thought that the process of losing the teeth was part or all of the issue, perhaps accompanied by a cold - I thought perhaps it hurt just as a teething baby does. (he is special needs, has communication issues and I am trying to figureout how much PANDAS is part of his disability) When he seemed not to get well after a few weeks of this and his sister had been diagnosed wtih strep throat that is when a DAN Dr. ordered an ASO test which was elevated. I don't think this was his first flare up related to PANDAS but it was the one that led us in the direction of PANDAS as a possibility.

We saw flare ups with tooth loss -- I think the initial episode was triggered by a tooth extraction.

I make sure my kids have antibiotics before any dental procedure now.

God bless,

Holly

My two pandas girls had flare ups when they each lost two baby teeth in a week.

For one the flare was mild and went away in 2 weeks on it's own. For the other, the symptoms were more significant, and we used a steroid burst to get things under control.

DCMOM - I am trying to pm you and your mailbox is full.