ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasma Pneumonia - Please help!

Our GP just called to tell me my son's Mycoplasma Pneumonia test came back positive both IGM and IGG.

Can someone PLEASE help me understand this? My son has been on high dose Augmentin and it really helped, but we recently had to cut back due to it having an effect on his gallbladder. Within just a couple of days his symptoms are all back. I have read that mycoplasma can cause facial tics, anxiety, eye pain etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? ANY help would be appreciated!

Yes, our son also had mycoplasma issues, but only his IGG's were high at the time of the blood draw. Our doctor does the ART muscle testing and said that the mycoplasma was doing the most damage to our son (who also has lyme, bartonella and babesia).

We just left our lyme doctor's office and he was describing how mycoplasma can become systemic and in his mind, mycoplasma is second to lyme in terms of the damage that it can do to the mind/body. Our doctor usually recommends a combination antibiotic regime for 2 to 4 months for mycoplasma alone. He prescribed azithromycin and omnicef for our son and then he recently prescribed azithromycin and bactrim for another child that had mycoplasma. Augmentin is usually not very helpful for mycoplasma.

Elizabeth

You mentioned gallbladder issues with Augmentin. Our son has been on Augmentin XR for a long time, and has been complaining of having difficulty processing fats. I have suspected the gallbladder, and he even has a bit of discomfort there. He's only 17. I just looked up side effects from Augmentin, and it doesn't mention that. Where did you find out able that?

My son also tested positive for Myco P, both IGM and IGG, at the same time he was tested for Lyme. He was treated by his PCP with Clarithromycin (Biaxin) for 4 weeks. When we started Lyme treatment, we began Azithromycin which is also used for Myco P. His IGG level was still high 2 months after the initial test result, but it had come down some. We haven't tested it again lately, but he continues on the Azith so I'm hoping that covers it.

You mentioned gallbladder issues with Augmentin. Our son has been on Augmentin XR for a long time, and has been complaining of having difficulty processing fats. I have suspected the gallbladder, and he even has a bit of discomfort there. He's only 17. I just looked up side effects from Augmentin, and it doesn't mention that. Where did you find out able that?

I didn't find it under general side effects either. I did read about how Augmentin can effect the liver and all of my son's(9) liver enzyme tests came back perfect but he was still having issues that pointed towards either gallbladder or liver. As soon as we cut his dose back, his side pain went away and so did the pale colored stools. BUT.....all of his other symptoms came raging back just a couple days after cutting back on the Augmentin.

One website I read (which I can't find now) said that the symptoms will go away when you remove Augmentin.

Here is a quote from a website that I came across:

Ampicillin antibiotics, like amoxicillin, have the potential to cause liver dysfunction, putting people who take Augmentin XR Sr at risk for developing liver-related side effects, explains RxList.com. Such symptoms include yellowing of your skin or eyes and clay-colored stools. In most cases, liver dysfunction caused by Augmentin is reversible and causes no permanent damage. Approximately one out of every four million people who takes the drug dies from liver dysfunction.

Read more: Augmentin XR Sr Side Effects | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6182023_augmentin-xr-sr-side-effects.html#ixzz0yt47bqya

My son is only 6, so we haven't tried Doxycycline.

Doxycycline can be used if your son is over age 8. It is also used for Lyme.

Thanks for the responses!

Has anyone here tried doxycycline? My son is 9.

I would also like to know if anyone has used it, thanks, Char

Hi al,My sons doctor wants to try treating my son with azit and minocycline for his high myocplasma.He's my sons general doctor. I live in canada so not much help here. I'll take what i can get. He does not have much experience treating this but willing to try. I thought maybe you moms treating for lyme and Pandas could answer some questions for me.My son is in the Pandas range on Cunningham test. But I think he is Pitands.My son has tics, Very bad brain fog and some other symptoms. Will the 2 antibiotic clear the mycoplasma? Will the minocycline make the tics worse? I would like to get the Ingex test for lyme done on my son. Can I get it done since I live in Canada and does a doctor have to order it? Any advise would be appreciated!!! Char

Yes, both of these antibiotics should be effective for treating the mycoplasma. I don't think there is any way to know whether minocycline would make your son's tics worse until you try it. Just remember, with a lot of these treatments, things tend to get worse (for a short period of time) before they get better.

A doctor does have to sign the IGeneX test form. I don't know if they accept specimens from other countries. I'd suggest you call them and ask.