ACN Latitudes Forums

Question re IGeneX Testing

NancyD

I am completing the form for IGeneX testing for my DD and I just want to make sure I am ordering the right tests. To test for Lyme and Bartonella I should check off #6050 (Complete Lyme Panel) and #5090 (Complete Co-Infection Panel)? Anyone know the costs of these tests? I can't find the price anywhere on their Website. Does insurance typically cover or no?

Thanks!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

You may get more responses if you post this on the Lyme board.

I am completing the form for IGeneX testing for my DD and I just want to make sure I am ordering the right tests. To test for Lyme and Bartonella I should check off #6050 (Complete Lyme Panel) and #5090 (Complete Co-Infection Panel)? Anyone know the costs of these tests? I can't find the price anywhere on their Website. Does insurance typically cover or no?

Thanks!

Nancy

Nancy:

The 6050 Igenex test is $475 and the 5090 Co-Infection test is $660. Whew, a lot of money! If you will be drawing blood for your daughter, I believe she would be old enough for the C57 blood test (killer cells) and a score below 100 is usually indicative of lyme. IGENEX, I believe, does not do this test, but your regular lab can test this number.

We only did the cheap version of the test the lyme 183 IGG/IGM ($70) and the basic Bartonella test ($135), but in hindsight, I wish we did the more comprehensive test like you are doing, even though it is so expensive. But for those who will have a hard time with the comprehensive 6050, the 183 can be an alternative.

I believe that some people have received a portion of the IGENEX costs back from their insurance.

Elizabeth

Philamom, thanks for the reminder about waiting 4 weeks after IVIg. Our last IVIg was in March but we are trying to do another infusion soon, since plasmaperesis is off the table for now. I will make sure we run the test first. Great news that your insurance covered it 70%. I have a PPO so they should cover it (I hope!). That will make the cost more palatable.

Faith, a physician must sign the test requisition form. I will have my pediatrician sign it next week when we see him.

Nancy

Can you do these tests if you are currently taking antibiotics? Know my son has Bartonella, but curious about some of the others, but I do not want to take him off the antibiotics for any reason!

I think it was mentioned you only need to be off abxs for the PCR testing. Everything else should be fine.

Yikes, philamom or someone else please clarify this. The complete Lyme panel (#6050)includes Lyme PCR-Serum and Lyme PCR-W Blood. Does this mean DD has to be off abx?? Definitely cannot do that!!

Nancy

Nancy,

We did the basic panel for $250 (obviously not going off abx with our history) but you get a 15% discount if you send in two family members at the same time. If you're so inclined, now would be the time to get yourself tested.

We paid up front but are in the process of submitting a claim for reimbursement at 80%. Keeping fingers crossed, as we now have to test for co-infections. Ugh.

Laura

Philamom, thanks for the reminder about waiting 4 weeks after IVIg. Our last IVIg was in March but we are trying to do another infusion soon, since plasmaperesis is off the table for now. I will make sure we run the test first. Great news that your insurance covered it 70%. I have a PPO so they should cover it (I hope!). That will make the cost more palatable.

Faith, a physician must sign the test requisition form. I will have my pediatrician sign it next week when we see him.

Nancy

thank you nancy. you say your pediatrician will order this? he agreed to it already, or you don't know yet? did he say he agrees with you using this company for testing for lyme? does he think your child could have lyme disease?

philamom,

you say your insurance is covering 70%? that is probably 'out of network', correct? for others doing this, don't forget there is a deductable to be met first with out of netowrk, and its usually 500 dollars or more.

Great suggestion, Laura! I guess I'll do the basic Lyme panel then since I cannot take DD off abx. Are you doing the complete co-infection panel? Also, did you check to see if you are a strep carrier? Other than rapid strep test and ASO/Anti-DNASE B, are there any other tests I should take?

Faith, I have not yet asked my pediatrician but he is agreeable to almost anything I ask. He has supported our doing DAN for many years and he was the one who called after DD's ASO and Anti-DNASE B levels came in very high 7 years ago and he put her on abx immediately. He's great. Never even tries to change my mind about vaccinations. I have not yet asked him about Lyme -- it will be interesting to see what he thinks. Our DAN doctor thought possible Lyme years ago and had DD tested back then but it came out negative. I have to find out if we used IGeneX. He's in NY State and I know that these tests are not yet available in NY. As I recall several years ago he had my pedi order a couple of tests because he could not order them in NY.

Nancy

thank you nancy. you say your pediatrician will order this? he agreed to it already, or you don't know yet? did he say he agrees with you using this company for testing for lyme? does he think your child could have lyme disease?

philamom,

you say your insurance is covering 70%? that is probably 'out of network', correct? for others doing this, don't forget there is a deductable to be met first with out of netowrk, and its usually 500 dollars or more.

Yes, that is "out of network". My daughter met her deductable along time ago with all the "PANDAS" medical expenses.