ACN Latitudes Forums

red dye found in zithromax

Does anyone know about liquid zithromax? does that come in dye free? I was just going to post about our zithro experience changing now. My daughter begged me to have her second round of zithro flavored with grape and I did. Her first day on it she was fine, even better than the day before because it was the higher dose again. But the second day was a really bad day. I'm wondering if it could be the grape flavoring. But even the basic one has cherry flavor that she has always been fine with but then again she's never been in a big exacerbation like this one. Do you think the zithro may not be working anymore?

I would think the grape flavoring could be suspect. Is she able to swallow pills? The zithromax pills are pretty small unlike the Augmentin which are big.

Does anyone know about liquid zithromax? does that come in dye free? I was just going to post about our zithro experience changing now. My daughter begged me to have her second round of zithro flavored with grape and I did. Her first day on it she was fine, even better than the day before because it was the higher dose again. But the second day was a really bad day. I'm wondering if it could be the grape flavoring. But even the basic one has cherry flavor that she has always been fine with but then again she's never been in a big exacerbation like this one. Do you think the zithro may not be working anymore?

Edited by justinekno

I would think the grape flavoring could be suspect. Is she able to swallow pills? The zithromax pills are pretty small unlike the Augmentin which are big.

Just wanted to add after we found a pharmacy that would give us the dye free zithro, they did say that this one does have some additives and preservatives in it. The Pharmacist more or less said pick your poison. I chose the additives. If we got a pure form - our insurance would not cover and it is very $$$. I am so glad to have this thread going around so those of us that have not thought to look at our meds will now - especially me.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have always suspected artificial colors/flavors/preservatives for my daughter's vocal tics. While we had noticed many times whenever she had taken some lollipop etc.. it just blew up when she was on Amox (pink suspension) last year for 7 days (2x a day). It took almost 2months for her vocal tics to subside from that.

How do you go about getting prescribed medication without any artificial stuff?? (not just dye-free)?? Call up the Pharmacy and ask? Can doctors order them and provide the instructions to the Pharmacy?

Also, what is the verdict on the following inactive ingredients from 250mg Azith tablet? What are the offending ones other than the dyes?

butylated hydroxytoluene, calcium phosphate dibasic anhydrous, carmine, colloidal silicon dioxide, FD&C red # 40 lake, FD&C yellow # 6 lake, hypromellose (2910, 15cP), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, talc, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

TIA,

MB