ACN Latitudes Forums

zithromax for tics only

I have been reading this forum for a long time and this is my first post. I need help desperately. My dd has vocal and motor tics and has for years. We do not have any tests yet confirming panda's but I have a hunch. We have consulted with Dr. K who feels it is highly likely after hearing our story. We are planning to do the Cunningham test but have agreed to try 30 day trial of zithromax right now. Our dd's tics are off the charts right now. Higher than she has ever been and I am scared to death. She started school recently but her tics were already ramping up before it started. I hope we are doing the right thing with the abx trial. I am asking those of you who have children with tics only if you have found antibiotics to help/heal? I am still not sure she is Panda's so is it not wise to treat anyway? I hear so many conflicting things that my head is spinnning. Usually I hear the rage/behaviors show improvement but do tics? Is it ok to treat a TS/tic disorder with antibiotics or does it spike the symptoms? We are on day 5 of zithro and NOTHING yet. Is this too soon to see something? I will be grateful for any relplies. We are literally sitting in our house, scared to death.

My son has tics (has for over 5 years)...we just received the PANDAS diagnosis in april. So far the zithromax and augmentin he has been on for the past 4 months seemed to have helped - they are not gone but it is down to a simple eye blink. My son deals more with the OCD symptoms these days but we use competing responses for both the OCD and tics.

I have heard from many that the tics are the toughest to get rid of and one of the last symptoms to resolve...

keep reading and asking....Good luck!

My son has tics (has for over 5 years)...we just received the PANDAS diagnosis in april. So far the zithromax and augmentin he has been on for the past 4 months seemed to have helped - they are not gone but it is down to a simple eye blink. My son deals more with the OCD symptoms these days but we use competing responses for both the OCD and tics.

I have heard from many that the tics are the toughest to get rid of and one of the last symptoms to resolve...

keep reading and asking....Good luck!

Thanks for the reply - How did you get your diagnosis? Did you do tests? I understand that there are many blood tests to consider. How long did it take for you to see reduction in tics when the antibiotics started? Do you do anything to keep yeast in check or is that not a worry for you? I am reluctant to give too many things at once because she seems to spike then. Thanks for answering.

Dr. K gave first diagnosis and then Dr. T confirmed - my son has high myco plasma titers and antidnase b titers along with his other symptoms. He is currently on a prophelectic dose of zith and I would say that it took about 3 months or so to see a reduction in tics...

Yeast luckily has not been an issue but he is on one abx at a time and also takes probiotics and fish oil.

I also would give him motrin when the tics spiked and that would calm them down for the day at least (especially when he would play baseball) - they seem to spike under stress. the motrin also helped me confirm that what we were dealing with was PANDAS since it is an anti-inflamitory.

For us tics were the symptom that took the longest to go away the first time we used Azith. (we were using full-strength 250mg/day for a 43 pound child). Mood started to improve after about 5 days, ocd improved after a couple of weeks, but tics took 6 weeks. We also gave advil 200mg/day.

Some kids get improvement faster than that. But, for others, tics can be stubborn.

I think if it is not PANDAS, the Azith. won't hurt anything.

If it is PANDAS, Azith. might help, but it might not be enough (you might need pex or IVIG).

What dose are you using?

it all depends on the individual

my son seems to have had negative reactions to most prescription antibiotics, as he has also had to most synthetic medication, likely a result of his diagnosed multiple chemical sensitivity. I know not all kids have this but felt it should be mentioned

also, the zith would kill off good bacteria as well as any potentially bad ones so important to take a probiotic at least 3hr before or after the abx

For us tics were the symptom that took the longest to go away the first time we used Azith. (we were using full-strength 250mg/day for a 43 pound child). Mood started to improve after about 5 days, ocd improved after a couple of weeks, but tics took 6 weeks. We also gave advil 200mg/day.

Some kids get improvement faster than that. But, for others, tics can be stubborn.

If it is PANDAS, Azith. might help, but it might not be enough (you might need pex or IVIG).

What dose are you using?

Thanks for this. My dd is 9 and is 68 lbs. Our zithro is 500mg 1 x day. As I said, we are on day 5 and have seen nothing. I have read a lot about tics being the last to go if at all. My dd does not have any other real issues outside of the vocal and motor tics. Glad to know you think the abx may not hurt even if not pandas. I have tried ibuprofen 200mg a couple of times and never saw any relief from it. Some say, motrin is better. I wonder why since they are both the same ingredient - right? If motrin is better for some reason then I will try that too. Right now, we need all the help we can get.

What dose are you using?

Thanks for this. My dd is 9 and is 68 lbs. Our zithro is 500mg 1 x day. As I said, we are on day 5 and have seen nothing. I have read a lot about tics being the last to go if at all. My dd does not have any other real issues outside of the vocal and motor tics. Glad to know you think the abx may not hurt even if not pandas. I have tried ibuprofen 200mg a couple of times and never saw any relief from it. Some say, motrin is better. I wonder why since they are both the same ingredient - right? If motrin is better for some reason then I will try that too. Right now, we need all the help we can get.

sorry meant to ask how your child is doing? Are you still on abx to control symptoms? Sounds like you have gotten the tics under control - I am so glad for you. Do you feel you need to go to ivig for final resolution or were abx enough?

before this current 1 1/2 year old episode...ds would improve 24 hours.almost done in 2 weeks and healed by 4 weeks...

if your child has had it long or as severe as my child..it will take a vveerrryyy long time..and possibly rotating and combining abx...

for us i would not see any improve with iburpofen as his system was in tooo much of overdrive and the same for abx....since we did the taper..things are much better and i can see the ibuprofren effects...and you may never know cause of infection if its been a while and it cleared...it becomes auto immune, where the system just takes over itself and needs a brake system...If you can find cause..then maybe the abx that is designed for that illness is all you need....

watch the yeast, steroids will send it over the top, abx, clostrida....PROBIOTICS and even with that the Right Types are key....

ds has been on abx for 7 years off and on w/o probiotics and the more i heal his gut the better he his!!!!

before this current 1 1/2 year old episode...ds would improve 24 hours.almost done in 2 weeks and healed by 4 weeks...

if your child has had it long or as severe as my child..it will take a vveerrryyy long time..and possibly rotating and combining abx...

for us i would not see any improve with iburpofen as his system was in tooo much of overdrive and the same for abx....since we did the taper..things are much better and i can see the ibuprofren effects...and you may never know cause of infection if its been a while and it cleared...it becomes auto immune, where the system just takes over itself and needs a brake system...If you can find cause..then maybe the abx that is designed for that illness is all you need....

watch the yeast, steroids will send it over the top, abx, clostrida....PROBIOTICS and even with that the Right Types are key....

ds has been on abx for 7 years off and on w/o probiotics and the more i heal his gut the better he his!!!!

any suggestions on right types of probiotics? My dd drinks good belly juice.

HLC mindlix is a good probiotic. It survives the stomach acid and is absorbed better.It also helps heal the gut.Char...

[

we have found that only natural probiotics like organic kefir or Stoneyfield farms yoghurt work for us...the supplemental ones just seems too strong and have a rather unpleasant effect. This applies not just to my son, but to me as well. I know many people have only good things to say about things like Culturelle etc, but it messes our digestion up!