ACN Latitudes Forums

How long until positive response to prednisone

susie

My DD6 started a 5 day steroid burst on 9/1. She was already in a pretty good place after having been on a lower dose of Augmentin (250mg twice daily- she's 44 lbs). We saw a new doctor on 9/1 who doubled the Augmentin and started the steroid burst. She wants to get DD to 100% so we can then go to maintenance dosing of Azithromycin.

So, now on day 3 of the prednisone and DD definately doesn't seem like she's better, but worse in some ways. Acting more spacey, blowing spit bubbles, stuttering worse.

The Doc. said to continue on and finish the pred. and that this was likely a "healing crisis".

So, how many of you saw things get worse before better and how long until I might see some good come out of the prednisone?

The other thought I had was that perhaps the doubling of the clav. acid isn't helping. There was a thread a few days ago about how clav. acid regulates dopamine and seritonin. Maybe it's messing with those dopamine receptors or the dopamine itself. DD6 had Anti-dopamine 1 =2000 (range is 500-2000). Any input would be very much appreciated.

My DD6 started a 5 day steroid burst on 9/1. She was already in a pretty good place after having been on a lower dose of Augmentin (250mg twice daily- she's 44 lbs). We saw a new doctor on 9/1 who doubled the Augmentin and started the steroid burst. She wants to get DD to 100% so we can then go to maintenance dosing of Azithromycin.

So, now on day 3 of the prednisone and DD definately doesn't seem like she's better, but worse in some ways. Acting more spacey, blowing spit bubbles, stuttering worse.

The Doc. said to continue on and finish the pred. and that this was likely a "healing crisis".

So, how many of you saw things get worse before better and how long until I might see some good come out of the prednisone?

The other thought I had was that perhaps the doubling of the clav. acid isn't helping. There was a thread a few days ago about how clav. acid regulates dopamine and seritonin. Maybe it's messing with those dopamine receptors or the dopamine itself. DD6 had Anti-dopamine 1 =2000 (range is 500-2000). Any input would be very much appreciated.

didn't read fully...but doc k says up to 4 weeks post....ours was 21 days post on burst...

slow improve on month taper with more dramatic results a couple weeks later

Our son has been on 5 days of pred twice for PANDAS and got worse both times WHILE on the medicine. A couple of days after finishing he starts to improve and we've seen amazing results both times.

I really don't understand why the doctor doubled the antibiotics and put her on pred at the same time. How's he supposed to know what's doing what - good or bad?

Fixit,

Hi this is Char, how is your son doing? how are the tics? Did your son get worse on the pred.before he got better? Could you please explain? What was your sons pred. doses? When did you see results at their best? Hope you and your son is doing well!! Char...

Susie, prednisone really hit us hard with yeast issues, and Augmentin was a close second. Are you doing probiotics and diflucan? The spacey blowing bubbles part sounds like DS's yeast manifestations.

Yes, we're doing high dose probiotics and oral amphotericin instead of diflucan. The spit bubbles and spaceyness are both pandas symptoms for my dd. I know this because they went away with the antibiotics alone. We started the amphotericin a few weeks after starting the lower dose augmentin, so I don't think it was the amphotericin that made it get better. Thanks for your thoughts- we're getting a stool culture soon so we should find out if there's yeast.

Fixit,

Hi this is Char, how is your son doing? how are the tics? Did your son get worse on the pred.before he got better? Could you please explain? What was your sons pred. doses? When did you see results at their best? Hope you and your son is doing well!! Char...

like all of my stories it's a long one..but very well(knock knock)...

i really want to do anohter taper to nip this in the bud, we are going on 6 weeks post taper....

but...i really want to get his tonsils out..and will hopefully know this week once ins gets corrected(new Ins)...

so if i need to do steroid for that i don't just want to keep shooting this stuff at him...

YES..steroids sent yeast over the top....need diflucan...and alot of probiotics..yes worse before better..

the best results were several weeks after ending pred...but i saw improvement while on taper as it is 4 week dose

HOPE AND PRAY your son is well too!!!

The improvement my dd got from a short course of prednisone did not show up until between days 7-12 depending on which time we are talking about. Hang in there. Hopefully it'll help. The worsening could be from more die off if there is still an active infection and you've upped the antibiotic. Just some thoughts.

We've done a couple of 5-6 day bursts (first time was about 1 mg/kg, 2nd was close to 2mg/kg once a day) over the past 1.5 years. Both times, dd's behavior was, if anything, a bit worse while on the pred. But about 2 weeks later we'd see some improvement which lasted 1-2 weeks.

BTW, dh also got weird and grumpy when he was on pred (for a lung problem, a few years ago), so I wasn't surprised that dd got a bit worse while she was on pred.