ACN Latitudes Forums

Igenex Test Requires Doc Signature?

Looks like the paperwork says it requires authorization by a doctor. Is that true? I didn't know that and don't know if our local docs will sign. If I just ask them do you think they will just because?

I wonder if our chiropractor can do it. I know he would if it's OK.

Susan

We have had a hard time. We have an appointment with Dr. B coming up and he wants this done. Make sure to call to have a kit sent, not just the paperwork. We were told we just needed paperwork, and any lab could draw. This doesn't appear to be true, at least in VA. We had the paperwork signed by our Dr. and went to Lab corp, they can only ship to lab's on an approved list per OSHA regulations, so they would not do the draw. The hospital then said they would, but refused without a kit. We spent lots of time yesterday on this. Still not done.

We had a similiar experience which ended up having Clinical Lab Partners do a CDC WB (we had already had one do through Labcorp a month before so this was annoying and costly) when they even told me they could send it out to IGenex. Unless you walk away with the kit and bloodwork, I wouldn't trust that the bloodwork is going to IGenex. With that said, our integrative dr has the IGenex kids on site and did the draw for us and then sent the kit via Fedex from their office.

I would think a chiro could sign the form. They're MD's right? IGenex just needs a dr whom they can send the results to because they won't send them directly to the patient.

We have had a hard time. We have an appointment with Dr. B coming up and he wants this done. Make sure to call to have a kit sent, not just the paperwork. We were told we just needed paperwork, and any lab could draw. This doesn't appear to be true, at least in VA. We had the paperwork signed by our Dr. and went to Lab corp, they can only ship to lab's on an approved list per OSHA regulations, so they would not do the draw. The hospital then said they would, but refused without a kit. We spent lots of time yesterday on this. Still not done.

Edited by justinekno

We had our first appt w/ Dr. B last week. We brought almost all the possible lab results to put the pieces together for our kids' PANDAS treatment but Dr. B said he wanted to get a Lyme and it's co-infections test done by Igenex since my DD was the only one of the two kids tested for Lyme. Back in June Quest labs only put neg. titers and stopped there...didn't check Western Blot, etc like Dr. T requested. Dr. B gave us the signed Igenex form, I called Igenex for the kits last Wed., they shipped Thurs, got them in Sat. and went to Quest Lab yesterday (Mon) to have blood drawn. For Lyme's and co-infections there are 2 collection tubes/kit...one needs to be spun down to plasma. I returned to lab after spinning to pick up tubes and in the meantime called Fed Ex to pickup kits later that afternoon. Make sure you get back your tubes AND the PAPERWORK! My lab got confused and passed on Igenex paperwork along with other paperwork for some other bloodwork Dr. B wanted to redo thru Quest. So I panicked as Fed Ex was about to arrive and I was missing key paperwork w/ all pertinent info, payment and Dr. B's signature. I called Igenex and they said to cancel Fex Ex pickup and retrieve the paperwork from the lab which was just closing. :( I talked to Quest today and they managed to have their other office where paperwork was sent to to fax the Igenex paperwork so I can have Fed Ex pick up blood kits now today. The Fed Ex end of it is very simple b/c Igenex has an account and so you just hand Fed Ex the kit without extra payment, etc...altho, the tests themselves are expensive. Soemthing like $260 for Lyme's and $660 for co-infections. We did get a 15% family discount for testing both kids so it came to just over $1500. We HOPE Blue Cross covers it after we get a receipt but payment is due at time you send the blood kit. But what choice do we have? Dr. B wants all answers to possible infections compounding PANDAS b/f pre-certifying kids for IVIG. I need to know for myself too.

If Dr. B wants those results before your appt, won't he just fax you the signed form?

We had our first appt w/ Dr. B last week. We brought almost all the possible lab results to put the pieces together for our kids' PANDAS treatment but Dr. B said he wanted to get a Lyme and it's co-infections test done by Igenex since my DD was the only one of the two kids tested for Lyme. Back in June Quest labs only put neg. titers and stopped there...didn't check Western Blot, etc like Dr. T requested. Dr. B gave us the signed Igenex form, I called Igenex for the kits last Wed., they shipped Thurs, got them in Sat. and went to Quest Lab yesterday (Mon) to have blood drawn. For Lyme's and co-infections there are 2 collection tubes/kit...one needs to be spun down to plasma. I returned to lab after spinning to pick up tubes and in the meantime called Fed Ex to pickup kits later that afternoon. Make sure you get back your tubes AND the PAPERWORK! My lab got confused and passed on Igenex paperwork along with other paperwork for some other bloodwork Dr. B wanted to redo thru Quest. So I panicked as Fed Ex was about to arrive and I was missing key paperwork w/ all pertinent info, payment and Dr. B's signature. I called Igenex and they said to cancel Fex Ex pickup and retrieve the paperwork from the lab which was just closing. :( I talked to Quest today and they managed to have their other office where paperwork was sent to to fax the Igenex paperwork so I can have Fed Ex pick up blood kits now today. The Fed Ex end of it is very simple b/c Igenex has an account and so you just hand Fed Ex the kit without extra payment, etc...altho, the tests themselves are expensive. Soemthing like $260 for Lyme's and $660 for co-infections. We did get a 15% family discount for testing both kids so it came to just over $1500. We HOPE Blue Cross covers it after we get a receipt but payment is due at time you send the blood kit. But what choice do we have? Dr. B wants all answers to possible infections compounding PANDAS b/f pre-certifying kids for IVIG. I need to know for myself too.

If Dr. B wants those results before your appt, won't he just fax you the signed form?

We have our first appointment with Dr. B next week. We will have all the labwork except the igenex complete before our visit. As it is a 7 - 8 hour trip for us, would you recommend completing all the testing before coming to see him, or going up with part of the labwork and seeing what he suggests? We want to make the most of our visit. For a little background info, we have done most of the labs before (we have low igg levels, failed pneumo titers, 174 cunningham test) and had seen Dr. L last year. We had decided to make the trip to see Dr. B as most of our main issues are more immunological and not neurologically based. We can schedule an appointment later, but I hate to keep postponing help, because my daughter looks so bad. Advice?

Personally, I'd still go to the appt. Seems like you have so much info already. We did an evaluation day 1 and allergy testing day #2 If you plan to allergy test, I'll give you a tip b/c I didn't know this. I wanted both kids tested for environmental and food allergies. DD has was tested 2 yrs. ago but that allergist didn't test quiet as many things. When we arrived for allergy testing, the nurse asked whether we were doing environmental or food testing. I said, "Both!" :D She said, "Well there are 72 allergens to test in each category (food/enviro.) so Dr. B only allows one test/day. You can return tomorrow for whichever one you opt not to do today." But we had already checked out of hotel and planned on leaving that afternoon. She said when we returned in a month, we could do the the rest of the testing. So we did enrivo on DD and food on DS. DD has had a known peanut/tree allergy since 3 yrs. old so it wasn't urgent we recheck that altho her OCD made her want to see if she's grown out of it but I knew the enviro ones were more important since she had been having issues since moving to PA. She was allergic to so many environmental allergens that the nurse, Dr. and receptionist each commented. When Dr. B entered room and saw her arms, he said, "You win!" to my DD. DS didn't react to food test thank goodness but have a feeling he'll react to enviro test. So Dr. B said we should start DD on allergy shots and that he'd make up the "Cocktail" so to speak and our local ped. office to administer. I know there are conflicting views on whether to treat w/ allergy shots w/ PANDAS but Dr. B thinks it's necessary and it affects her everyday happiness when she reacts to triggers with stuffy/itchy nose, etc.

So other than the IGeneX test results, you should have good info to present to get Dr. B's opinion on to treat your child. I had my questions typed up and I felt like I won the lotto to hear answers to questions I've pondered in my head as I have learned more about the disorder and the specific symptoms we deal with daily. He left it with us that he wanted to start IVIg on DD next month. He just needed to get the bloodwork results returned from Quest and IGeneX to make the final case to the ins. co. for pre-cert of coverage for IVIg. I spoke with him last night on the phone and he said that he will try to coordinate our follow up visit to talk about lab results, allergy testing/shots and even administer IVIg now that I got the testing done so quickly. This way we get it all done in one trip...maybe not allergy shots/testing all and IVIg all in one trip but he wants to get IVIg going b/c not sure DD is going to make start of school next week due to anxiety and OCD. My DS is a few weeks behind as far as treatment. DD was dx'd first last May and is a classic (was severe) textbook PANDAS case that was caught early and Dr. B feels she's a great candidate for hopefully only 1 IVIg, possibly 2 since she hasn't been sick and dealing w/ disorder for years. We'll see. We're on 3rd ABX and ibu and can't push past 75% wellness.

If you have any questions, PM me about CT...where to stay, eat, etc. I met Lauren Johnson (sneezing girl mom) @ Dr. B's office. What a lovely lady and she gave me some great tips for next trip.