ACN Latitudes Forums

again for sheila

Guest -guy-

Sheila-

I am wanting to get better except there's a major obstacle. I am afraid of SSRI medications-I heard that some people have become sucidal taking them...that obsession plays in my mind as soon as I think taking them. I also have this problem regarding X-rays. I fear as soon as I get an X-ray, I will develop some kind of cancer. I have an untreated stomach problem, which probably should be checked out, but I am too afraid of the X-ray. I have searched "obsessively" for all seratonin enhancement treatments. I am currently taking 5-htp at 400-500mg/day. Although, this has not helped my obsessions much, at least it has lifted my mood a bit and has reduced some anxiety (so I am happy for that!) Any suggestions? I also have another problem which may or may not be related to OCD. In class, I have trouble paying attention to the prof. I literarly get bored and zone out within 5 minutes after the lecture starts. Basically, lecture doesn't help me at all. Needless to say, everything I learn is through studying the book. While I study an obsessive voice tells me that if I don't study for at least 2 hours I will be a lazy failure and end up out on the street. I have trouble concentrating while studying too. I get tired fast (say after 5-10 minutes) and I have to reread the material a second time to make sure I get the material down. Because of this, my study habits are extremely ineffective. Although I enjoy learning, since I get worn out by reading a small amount of material, I am forced to spend extra time learning. I often study for classes during summer time and throughout the year including weakends to make up for this deficit. I cannot study more than 4 hours straight without literaly crying...I feel like I have to study at least 4 hours to simulate real-life working conditions of 8-hour day split in two This "problem" is aggravating my anxiety further, since obsessive thoughts of "when you get older, you will fail and get fired since you can't concentrate well"play in my mind. I have gotten fired from several small jobs because of this "zoning out" problem, but I currently tutor and that has been going quite well! This problem along with other OCD problems is seriously destroying my self-esteem. Through much heartache, I am getting through college (one of the top 30) with a 3.0 GPA. I have noticed this problem in high school, but did not pay much attention to it. My parents never suspected I had a learning disability, since my grades have been good and I got a 1400+ score on the SAT. Is this a normal phenomenon related to OCD???? What should I do about fears reagrding medication? Any help is gladly appreciated.

Chris--I don't know an easy answer re: the meds because yes, there are concerns about their safety and you will probably keep running into those--they are especially in the news at present. At the same time they help some people a lot.

Since you said you had stomach trouble, have you ever looked into avoiding milk totally for a couple of weeks? Is it after eating that your stomach bothers you, or some other kind of trouble--more like an ulcer? What are the symptoms? Would you be willing to experiment?

What are your favorite or most common foods?

I'm also wondering two things--what city or state you live in, and whether you would be interested in getting some other type of medical help since you aren't up for medication right now.

Hey--I was right that you are very bright! You should be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished. And I'm glad the tutoring works out. I think zoning out is common--OCD and ADD type symptoms often overlap. Makes it really frustrating, I'm sure. I can only imagine what it's like.

Please see this article about inositol. I don't know if you can take it with the 5HTP. (Maybe you could read up on that--I haven't looked into it). But you could give inositol a try--it is supposed to be very safe and effective:

http://www.naturaladd.com/resources/articles/natural.html

If you ever want to communicate by email instead of the forum, you can write to me at sheila@Latitudes.org and put something in the subject line so I know it's from you. Otherwise, the forum is fine. If you don't hear from me for a few days sometime it's becaue I'm not at the computer. Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guy

I usually post over on the Tourette forum.

i just wanted to let you know that my son found tremendous relief for his OCD by taking 50mg 5HTP and 500mg Inositol daily.

He did try the SSRIs for one year but they had horrible side effects.

His OCD is now so diminished that he isnt even taking anything for it at present.

IT IS ALSO VERY IMPORTANT TO WATCH YOUR DIET!

If my son eats stuff with artificial colouring or flavouring or with Nutrasweet(aspartame) Slenda(sucralose) etc or MSG, preservatives and other unnatural stuff, his OCD starts up.

some folks even find that if they eliminate foods that they may be allergic to, their OCD decreases. i know of someone who didnt realise she had a dairy allergy. But as soon as she cut out milk, her OCD dropped away. same with some who are wheat or gluten sensitive.

all the best as you seek ways to make things better