ACN Latitudes Forums

Our dd 12, has off and on complained of chest pain, not too sharp, but not dull and it is not near her heart. This, as with the joint pain and all the other symptoms has only existed since the sudden onset in May. Do any of your children have this? Is it a PANDAS thing or a lyme thing? We are waiting on our lyme results now. I've mentioned it to a couple of the doctors and they don't even seem interested in this.

Thank you...

PANDAS McNuggets w/fry/coke

Yes, my dd14 has definitely had that over the years. In fact, he's had some incredible major shocks with it, and it doesn't just get him in the chest (it actually feels like it's in his heart, and just about everywhere else over his body.) They've gotten so bad at times, that he has actually flown across the room with one, and with others, he's described them as feeling like a knife or even a sword is going through his chest/body.

Now, the bad part. I have no idea what it is. We also got an assortment of not concerns, but we also had his heart checked (luckily it's not his heart.) He does have abnormal brain waves, and is being treated for seizures, although these did not show up on the eeg when he had the shocks (in other words, they could be myoclonal seizures, but in my son's case, probably isn't.)

Because it could be the heart, I would suggest having a consult with a pediatric cardiologist, as I wouldn't want to miss something possibly important. That being said, more than likely you're going to find that it's part of the PANDAS process (they actually got better after the first round of IVIG last year, came back, then went away for about 6 months after PEX,) so I really do suspect it is related to the PANDAS. But, again, I don't think it hurts to be prudent, and make certain it's not cardiac.

Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

When my dd was ill with pandas symptoms she constantly had strange pains, chest, back, ribs, legs. She had seen a ped. cardiologist during the illness because she had a murmur and a really messed up EKG. But her Echo came back ok. We never really got any explanation for it, but I'm convinced it is related to pandas. Pain has been gone since all other symptoms went away after IVIG. I agree with tpotter. Might be best to get it checked out.

Costochondritis. I've had chest pains from two sources when my big infection-triggered inflammatory episodes have gotten going in the past. One is from mitral valve prolapse (which would show up on an echo), the other was diagnosed as costochondritis. Most common in kids between ages 12 and 14.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm

Our dd 12, has off and on complained of chest pain, not too sharp, but not dull and it is not near her heart. This, as with the joint pain and all the other symptoms has only existed since the sudden onset in May. Do any of your children have this? Is it a PANDAS thing or a lyme thing? We are waiting on our lyme results now. I've mentioned it to a couple of the doctors and they don't even seem interested in this.

Thank you...

My 14-yo has been complaining of chest pain off and on. Usually it happens when he is reading in bed. The doctor suggested we try prevacid for a month because she thinks it's acid reflux (makes sense since it only happens when he is flat on his back, and usually gets better after he's been up for a while).

Just a thought, maybe try to pinpoint when it happens.

Thank you...

Could definitely be lyme especially since the joint pain began in May, the month when the nymphal ticks emerge that carry lyme. They are impossible to see. My son had weird pains like that with lyme. Babesia causes shortness of breath.

Thanks everyone!

She gets shortness of breath too, which also started in May. Here I think her tic exposure was when she was a toddler and we lived in the U.P. of Michigan. I remember two being pulled off of her. Possibly the lyme lay dormant until the vaccine exposure in late April. Anyway, I can't WAIT to see the lyme results. We have an appt. with a lyme doctor set up too if neccesary.