ACN Latitudes Forums

Today I was dx with pneumonia & Strep

I started with a slight sore throat last week & was planning on getting tested for strep, but by the next am the sore throat was gone. Fast forward 3 days and I have full-blown pneumonia as dx. by the ER today. I asked the doc to do a strep test and he was suprised to find it was positive. Both my girls (6 & 3) are on Augmentin ES daily (600mg). They were recently cut back to a half dose by Dr. B. Should I test them for strep? Or is it likely that they are protected b/c they were on ABX. What would you do?

I started with a slight sore throat last week & was planning on getting tested for strep, but by the next am the sore throat was gone. Fast forward 3 days and I have full-blown pneumonia as dx. by the ER today. I asked the doc to do a strep test and he was suprised to find it was positive. Both my girls (6 & 3) are on Augmentin ES daily (600mg). They were recently cut back to a half dose by Dr. B. Should I test them for strep? Or is it likely that they are protected b/c they were on ABX. What would you do?

I would get them tested just in case. My son (80 lbs) was on Augmentin XR twice a day and he got an ear infection when his siblings had strep/ear infections. So they shouldn't get it, but there is a slight chance that they might. It takes a few days to incubate, so maybe wait a couple of days. And yes, definitely check with dr. B, but I would go back to full strength just in case. Remember to change toothbrushes, wash hands, disinfect, etc., and get other family members tested too.

Hope you feel well soon!

Isabel

I would get them tested just in case. My son (80 lbs) was on Augmentin XR twice a day and he got an ear infection when his siblings had strep/ear infections. So they shouldn't get it, but there is a slight chance that they might. It takes a few days to incubate, so maybe wait a couple of days. And yes, definitely check with dr. B, but I would go back to full strength just in case. Remember to change toothbrushes, wash hands, disinfect, etc., and get other family members tested too.

Hope you feel well soon!

Isabel

I just wanted to add, I don't think Augmentin does anything for pneumonia, so watch out for that in your girls.

Awaiting a phone call from Dr B. I was concerned about the dosage on the Augmentin (875mg BID)-my five year old was taking (600 mg BID)...it didn't seem like enough. I will ask him about the effectiveness of Augmentin for Pneumonia. I don't know if I'll have faith in any of our local docs for anything ever again if he says it's not the right choice/dosage.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Amy-

What antibiotic did they put you on? Maybe D., B would increase their Aug or add something else for just 10 days. Hope you get better soon!

My 4 year old has just finished his 1st 3months on Augmentin. He was so ill in May and it all started with strep, but I was winging it when my doc asked me to come up with a good dose. He is only taking Augmentin 250mg, twice per day. Now I am wondering if he should be on Aug ES and at a higher dose.

Colleen

Amy-

What antibiotic did they put you on? Maybe D., B would increase their Aug or add something else for just 10 days. Hope you get better soon!

My 4 year old has just finished his 1st 3months on Augmentin. He was so ill in May and it all started with strep, but I was winging it when my doc asked me to come up with a good dose. He is only taking Augmentin 250mg, twice per day. Now I am wondering if he should be on Aug ES and at a higher dose.

Colleen

Talked to Dr. B today- I am so greatful that he's our doc! He suggested some meds that the docs at ER did not prescribe. Also, bloodwork for mycoplasma pneumonae done based on his suggestion. (I work in long term care/rehab & have had many pts. recently that have had pneumonia dx & 2 currently w/ airborne MRSA) Dr. B was very clear that Augmentin would not clear the mycoplasma if it was positive and I would have to take the girls for testing if I was. He did up the girls Augementin ES 600 to BID from their recently reduced does of once daily. My GP gave me an rx for Zith. & told me to start it along with the Augementin. Hopefully I'll get well quickly from all the ABX, steroids & albuterol I'm on now.

My 6 y/o had increased tics, piano playing movements of her fingers, vocal tics & emotional lability last night & this am-she's so quick to respond to the presence of strep. Hopefully adding the 2nd dose of ABX will get rid of these again.

Edited by AmySLP