ACN Latitudes Forums

How was everyone's first day of school? :)

My DS14 doesn't start until Sept. 8th (a Wed) then is off again until the 13th. (I love living in Queens) I'm pretty worried, but he is a tough kid and will make it through. Good luck to you and all of us!

Edited by lynn2

My DS13 officially starts tomorrow, but after some button-pushing by Dear Old Mom, he was "invited" by his teaching team to stop by this afternoon and chat a bit with each of the teachers in his team, meet his new IEP caseworker, get his locker assignment a day early so that he feels settled about where it is, etc. While I admit to having had to be the "squeaky wheel" to get him a little extra "transition accommodation," I have to say I was very happy with the way things went today. He came home very enthused about a couple of his teachers in particular, the math cirriculum, etc. It gives me lots of hope for starting the year off well, at least.

And now I've managed to get myself invited to be the "guest speaker" at his team's weekly meeting on Thursday morning; the presentation is to be "PANDAS and PANDAS OCD." Good thing all you good folks have armed me for bear in terms of hitting the high points for these folks, hopefully without entirely overwhelming them! Cross your fingers for me! B)

And all the best to all of our kids starting out a new school year. :wub:

My daughter leaves Saturday to live a college 3 hours away. For so long I wished and wished she could go, (not because I wanted her away, but because I wanted her to have a normal life). Now that it's hear, and she's doing well after IVIG, I'm mighty tearful tonight!!!!

Nancy

Congratulations!

I remember crying like a baby the night before my big sister left for college, so I can only imagine how it's going to feel to see my child off . . . and after such a fight (re. PANDAS) for "normalcy" in that regard, too!

I know it'll feel rough at first, but break out a bottle of champagne and toast yourself (and her) for getting to this point in life! Such an achievement, and it's just the beginning of all the best years and milestones yet to come! Cheers! :D

Rowens1214 - How was their first day?! School's been alright over here. I'm not complaining, because it's DEFINITELY not as bad as last year. Knock on wood, haha. However, it's the third day of school & I'm already in a battle with my counselor. But, oh well. Hopefully it'll get better! As far as symptoms go I haven't passed out, I have been markedly less tired than I normally am this time of year, but my anxiety is pretty bad. Overall, I'd say it's going good. :)

Lynn2 - How old is he?! I hope he has a good year! & you guys are lucky! We used to start in the middle of August & get out in May. I miss that. The thing that I hate the most about school out here is having to wake up before the sun rises, hahah.

Nancy - That makes me happy to hear! I had a meeting with all of my teachers last year, which helped IMMENSELY, but this year I'm just emailing them all since I'm not as bad off. It's always good for teachers to know what's going on & I'm glad that they're supportive!

FCEFxer - Aww! I'm sorry. :( I hope she does well. At least it's only three hours & not three states or something though! Try to play the glad game. & it's good to hear that IVIG went well for her!

My daughter leaves Saturday to live a college 3 hours away. For so long I wished and wished she could go, (not because I wanted her away, but because I wanted her to have a normal life). Now that it's hear, and she's doing well after IVIG, I'm mighty tearful tonight!!!!

Nancy

Mine leaves Sat. also and like you I have been emotional. The other day while cleaning I found a little notebook that I had saved from when she was 5 (pre-panda's) and while looking through it, on one page she had written Katie loves Mom. That was it. Cleaning was done and I grabbed a box of tissues. I am so happy your daughter is doing well after IVIG.

We're in the middle of week four for my son whose 16 and a junior. He missed second semester of sophomore year. He's pushing hard to get in the school everyday but more often than not he gets it done. Everyday that he does is another victory under his belt and he thrives on those. All the while, most of his friends still don't know and we only let a teacher in the loop when we absolutely have to. School admin knows but they keep quiet. He either blends in really well or not at all...very little middle ground. We just do our best to breathe through the days when he can't get in the door. I know you hear it often from the group...but I'll add mine..you're an impressive kid for taking the bull by the horns on your own!

Gat's mom

Ours started today! Mine, 2nd and 4th grades. They had a great day.

dd7 was OCD about what she wore today, asked me over and over what she should wear (they wear uniforms) and changed her clothes 3 times but finally decided on something. They both hopped on the bus with no trouble even though it was 20 min late and my car was broken down and would not run at the bus stop, LOL, talk about chaos! dd9 was sick to her stomach but she did it. Except for dd7 getting in trouble for talking (she can't control her mouth at school), they both had a really good day.

dd9 has injured her arm, some sort of tendonitis inflammatory thing I'm sure is pandas or autoimmune related so I'm worried about tomorrow. But so far, so good!

dd9's new teacher has a quiet place where you can go when you are overwhelmed during the day and take your shoes off and lie down. How cool is that?! She is very excited about that.

Thanks for asking! How was your first day?

Susan

Gat'sMom - It's not often I hear of other teenagers! Haha. Highschool is especially hard for us. When my Narcoleptic symptoms started almost two years ago I pretty much had to decide to be completely open about P.A.N.D.A.S., so I can't imagine what it must be like to keep that a secret. I hope he's doing well though! & I know exactly what you mean about each day being a small victory. I started off strong on the first day & I can already see my symptoms escalating with all of this stress. Today was the worst so far, so I'm in need of some of those victories. It feels so good to walk out of the school doors at the end of the day just knowing you made it through. :) Simply to endure is to triumph, right?

Suzan - Do both of your daughters have P.A.N.D.A.S.? I'm glad to hear they did well even with setbacks! I hope her arm gets better, too!

My first day was good but I can already tell that I'm getting worse, which is sad seeing as how it's only been four days. On the first day I was pretty peppy & optimistic, just determined to not let my P.A.N.D.A.S. get in the way of me having a good year, but my resolve has already diminished. Day by day, I've been sleeping more & more & getting more tired, until today I finally heard the dreaded pencil drop. When I get ridiculously tired my eyes flutter, my head droops, & my hand just.. drops my pencil. Over & over & over. Something about low muscle tone, I think. Anyway. That happened for the first time today & I had to leave the room I was so discouraged. I love my school because there's never a dull moment & I get to wear what I want/listen to my iPod/text since the other kids are so horrible, but we are absolutely overcrowded this year. Can you say a-n-x-i-e-t-y? I've told two of my teachers so far, & I'm waiting to see if my schedule changes (which it hopefully will) to tell more. Basically, it's been bittersweet. Doing normal things like going to school feels so good, but then something gets in the way. Although, I will say, I am not NEARLY as bad as I was in August of last year. Crossing my fingers that that stays true, haha.

Hope their school year continues to go well!

We're ready for day 5 here and our PANDAS daughter is LOVING her teacher and her class. We had 2 friends over today to play! I was dreading this year, but so far it's off to a good start. She started taking azitrhomycin 3 times a week M/W/F on Monday evening and is still taking her supplements and eating healthy. Hopefully all of this will produce a fantastic year. I am ever hopeful that we can maintain our current status!

My kids started last week. They both have great classes with lots of close friends and very cool teachers, and got off to a great start. I am hoping for a great year.

Unfortunately, today we are seeing real PANDAS in ds6 for the first time in months. They've both had strep impetigo for a few weeks, and I've been amazed that we have NOT seen PANDAS even with active strep infection - but today I think was the perfect storm for ds6 - strep in his nose, strep in his brother, getting out from his last IVIG, pizza last night (he always does badly after pizza, go figure) and his doctor switched him from zith to penicillin on Thurs since the zith wasn't doing the trick on the impetigo...but the penicillin clearly isn't as good against his PANDAS. I give ds6 a lot of credit, though - he is able to say "I'm having a "sick" day so I'm going to hang low and watch movies...I'll feel better by Monday." I hope it's true!