ACN Latitudes Forums

Is Azithromycin Effective for Tics?

For my 6 y/o daughter, it took a switch to Augmentin ES for the tics to reduce (we tried Azith. with her for 5 weeks. She is getting terrible teeth staining from the Augmentin, so Dr. B suggested trying Azith again to see if now that the tics are nearly gone, if it may work for her now. I'm afraid and instead for now we halfed the dose of her Augmentin (she's now taking 600mg/day).

The teeth staining will go away with a dental cleaning! At least, it should. That's what the literature said, and that was also our experience.

When we noticed the teeth staining, I really freaked out. But DS9 was due for a dental appt anyway, and presto...it was gone.

Good luck.

For my 6 y/o daughter, it took a switch to Augmentin ES for the tics to reduce (we tried Azith. with her for 5 weeks. She is getting terrible teeth staining from the Augmentin, so Dr. B suggested trying Azith again to see if now that the tics are nearly gone, if it may work for her now. I'm afraid and instead for now we halfed the dose of her Augmentin (she's now taking 600mg/day).

In our case I feel that the azimuth took edge off the disease. So ds would stll get tics just not as bad and exacerbations were shorter. But still ran approx 6 weeks.

He was waning when we first tried azith and it just sped up that phase. Didn't cure anything.

Also, antibiotics seem to fail with older kids, which was our case. After each virus last winter, his baseline would creep up.

My dd(6) is on azith (2 months) and still has tics (motor and vocal). I don't really think the azith does much to help with tics. She is taking other medicine which I feel is targeting her tics more (Flagyl).

Caring Mom-

Is she on both abx? This is your second round of Flagyl, correct? How is she doing?

My dd(6) is on azith (2 months) and still has tics (motor and vocal). I don't really think the azith does much to help with tics. She is taking other medicine which I feel is targeting her tics more (Flagyl).

Caring Mom-

Is she on both abx? This is your second round of Flagyl, correct? How is she doing?

Hi Philamom,

Yes, she's om azith and flagyl and this is the 2nd time around on flagyl. I have been meaning to update but I'm so scared to jinx myself I keep putting it off. Her DAN upped her Flagyl dosage from 6.25cc 2x/day to 10cc 2x/day. He said she wasn't responding to the flagyl the 2nd time around because her body had adjusted to the previous (6.25) dose. He upped her to 10 cc for 1 month. We are 8 days into the upped dosage and things are amazing again. Her vocals are down to 5-10 a day (today I heard 3). Her motor tics have changed a bit (she has a nose scrunching tic now) but it is not really noticeable to anyone. She just ended a 2 month stint on Diflucan so her DAN now has her on Enhansa for yeast. Today is day 2. He said to expect some die-off so maybe that's where the increase in motor tics is coming from. Her tics seemed to change though when we upped the flagyl to 10cc. I was thinking it could be die-off from the flagyl. Too many things going on at once right now to tell. I am really happy overall with where we are so I hope things will stabilize for a while and maybe get even better. Thanks for asking !!

Caring Mom

Can you please post your experience with azithromycin for tics-

If your child had only motor tics, was this or other antibiotic effective?

Thanks!!

I wonder if it is more a question of whether an antibiotic is good for a particular infection / inflammatory process. What I mean is that my son has had tics with sinusitis and he has done well with augmentin. However, at one point he needed flagyl - becuase the sinusitis was caused by different bacteria. At times he has needed diflucan because the sinusitis was caused by fungus. Sometimes he needs allergy medication because the inflammation is allergy-related. Most recently, he had neck tics after a round of biaxin for sinusitis ended (could it be herxing?) this resolved with a round of omnicef with a 5 day steroid burst. 2 months later, while on omnicef, he was exposed to mycoplasma and had a high fever, so we switched him over to azith as it was better for mycoplasma. He did well on a 10 day course, but when he returned to omnicef his symptoms started increasing - we put him back on Azith with an assumption that mycoplasma was still the culprit - and he did very well.

I am wondering if others have had similar experiences with different types of infections.

Thanks!!

I wonder if it is more a question of whether an antibiotic is good for a particular infection / inflammatory process. What I mean is that my son has had tics with sinusitis and he has done well with augmentin. However, at one point he needed flagyl - becuase the sinusitis was caused by different bacteria. At times he has needed diflucan because the sinusitis was caused by fungus. Sometimes he needs allergy medication because the inflammation is allergy-related. Most recently, he had neck tics after a round of biaxin for sinusitis ended (could it be herxing?) this resolved with a round of omnicef with a 5 day steroid burst. 2 months later, while on omnicef, he was exposed to mycoplasma and had a high fever, so we switched him over to azith as it was better for mycoplasma. He did well on a 10 day course, but when he returned to omnicef his symptoms started increasing - we put him back on Azith with an assumption that mycoplasma was still the culprit - and he did very well.

I am wondering if others have had similar experiences with different types of infections.

How did they know which type of bacteria was in the sinusus? What type of bacteria was the flagyl used for? It sounds like you have a great doctor willing to prescribe different abx--is it a DAN?

Hi Philamom,

Yes, she's om azith and flagyl and this is the 2nd time around on flagyl. I have been meaning to update but I'm so scared to jinx myself I keep putting it off. Her DAN upped her Flagyl dosage from 6.25cc 2x/day to 10cc 2x/day. He said she wasn't responding to the flagyl the 2nd time around because her body had adjusted to the previous (6.25) dose. He upped her to 10 cc for 1 month. We are 8 days into the upped dosage and things are amazing again. Her vocals are down to 5-10 a day (today I heard 3). Her motor tics have changed a bit (she has a nose scrunching tic now) but it is not really noticeable to anyone. She just ended a 2 month stint on Diflucan so her DAN now has her on Enhansa for yeast. Today is day 2. He said to expect some die-off so maybe that's where the increase in motor tics is coming from. Her tics seemed to change though when we upped the flagyl to 10cc. I was thinking it could be die-off from the flagyl. Too many things going on at once right now to tell. I am really happy overall with where we are so I hope things will stabilize for a while and maybe get even better. Thanks for asking !!

Caring Mom

My dd9 was taking 250mg/ml three times a day...is that comparable to 10cc 2x/day? I'm so glad to hear her vocals are down!! Can you give me more info on the Enhansa?

Thanks!!

How did they know which type of bacteria was in the sinusus? What type of bacteria was the flagyl used for? It sounds like you have a great doctor willing to prescribe different abx--is it a DAN?

Hi - my doctor is a really good ENT and my son has a really BAD case of chronic sinusitis, so it has been lots of trial and error and desperation through the years. I believe flagyl is used for anaerobic bacteria and the doctor tried that when augmentin did not seem to be working. I believe he got that just from the evidence / studies he had read. My son also had lots of fungus when they did sinus surgery - probably because he had been on antibiotics for a long time without an antifungal... so the ENT then prescribed diflucan and we saw a reduction in tics. I also have an ENT PA who is very holistic and very familiar with Dr. Rapp's allergy protocols and with chronic candidiasis. She has been willing to prescribe diflucan when she thinks it looks like fungus.

DD has a sneezing tic and took the azithrmycin pack for 5 days off 5 days than again for 5 days. Than after 5 days started 250mg 3x's/week eventually increasing to 500mg 3x's per week per Dr T. the tic went away after a month it stayed away for about 2months so we reduced antibiotic back 250mg. When the tic returned we started back to 500mg 3x's/week and it went away after almost two months and have kept this dose since the end of May. She also gets the terrible nightmares which are the last to leave. They are def related to PANDAS not the med's because she had them for months before diagnosis. Probiotics help with stomach pains. Clonadine was given by another doc for several months and did not touch the tic took off this when started the azith.(thanks to Dr T!) We have had to give Lexapro short term due to severe OCD, and anxiety the last round (it def gets worse each time she reoccurs). Helped her get through the rough spots. Hope this info helps you--