ACN Latitudes Forums

Update and need advice!

Ok.. I begged the ped last week to let us stop his PCN VK and give us Augmentin. She gave us 875 mg for 10 days and on day 7 his tic was basically gone!!!! Hallucinations.. gone! OCD.. slight! Emotional.. can't win them all! ;) We have an appointment with Dr. Latimer in Oct and our ped said he needed to go back on his PCN until then. I'm scared to death! Is it just me or shouldn't we continue on Augmentin for a little while longer? He is down to a facial/neck tic maybe twice an hour. I still think he needs more time, but they won't budge! I'm afraid he will have to relapse into not being able to walk again before will agree on more antibiotics. What are your thoughts? I'm almost ready to look up online pharmacies in Mexico and have some sent to us!

Edited by trubiano

I think you are absolutely right, but am not sure that assurance will help you! I assume you have already begged? I'd take the pen, and start searching for another pediatrician. Maybe you can find one through other moms in your area. Ask a mom of a child w autism, or call local autism society for referrals. Glad you have dr l in a month. Call and see if you can go on cancel list, if you can get there on short notice. On the positive, she will be pleased to see such immediate response to augment! Frustrating, but so great that you are on the right path!

I agree with your feelings but I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better. I second Meg's Mom - take the pcn vk if it's all you can get. But if you're up for the fight, argue that it may be the clavulanic acid that is playing a part in your recovery. In the "do no harm" doctor's creed, it seems that augmentin is potentially far less harmful than going back to only penicillin. But I'm sure you've been there done that. If it's any consolation, I don't think any of the Pandas docs would have a problem keeping your son on augmentin. So worst case, help is a few weeks away (small comfort right now, I know).

I once recommended that a parent run their child thru poison ivy to get prednisone (half kidding). It's a thought...

My link

this article explains how some antibiotics do more for the brain than just keep infection away. It probably won't help, since your doctor has his/her mind made up, but since you may be looking for a new pediatrician shortly anyway, maybe go out will all guns blasting...

Hang in there. Have hope.

I see you are from Atlanta? I can give you the name of our neurologist near Charlotte. I know it is a bit of a drive (and he is a little slow to diagnose, but does believe). When are you going to Dr. L? We have an appt. in October too.