ACN Latitudes Forums

Acidophilus causing tics?

Major indecision here. Started back on Acidophilus 1/4 tsp 2x/day about a week and a half ago. Since then ds tics vocal tics out of control and come to think of it that is also when dd's tics really started. So if it's die off how long to wait it out. I'm nervous to discontinue in case that's the situation but if it's not I dont want to make it worse, you know? Anyone else had this experience, any input would be greatly appreciated, nothing else has really changed in diet etc. Only it has been really hot and humid here lately. Soooooooooo frustrated. They are on high grade acidophilus straight from Naturopathic Dr. Will start Kids calm soon, thanks for input on that matter.

Help......Megan

Thanks for the insite. The only reason I started with the supplement was we were going dairy free, is yogurt not a problem? I was using organic plain yogurt and he loves it, was sad to give it up, so going back would be a big bonus for him. Thanks again Megan

Thanks for the post!

Being new to all of this, I'm considering a probiotic (not sure if I can post the name of the one I have my eye on, it's a dairy free kids version). But I think I'll wait to talk to a doctor about it (this coming Monday). Let us know if you turn up anything. And good luck!

Thanks for the post!

Being new to all of this, I'm considering a probiotic (not sure if I can post the name of the one I have my eye on, it's a dairy free kids version). But I think I'll wait to talk to a doctor about it (this coming Monday). Let us know if you turn up anything. And good luck!

Good luck Monday! and would love to hear what you turn up as well...Thank God for people who share their experience because sometimes even the best intentioned Dr.'s just cant know it all.

Megan

Megan, hello..

yes, I am thinking our recent usage of probiotics at a high dose may have contributed to a big increase my son's vocals. I hv backed off, he seemed a little better, but we are going back and forht still......

see my post on the NAET or DAN thread re probiotics, where I have more info.

Edited by faith

Thanks everyone for your experiences, I have stopped the probiotic supplement and gone back to organic yogurt and will start making kefir again. I also bought the Natural Calm, he didnt seem to mind it, think I'll just add it to his morning fruit smoothies. We are heading to the cottage for a few days so we'll see how things develop, will keep you all posted. Have a great weekend everybody!

Megan

I am a little late to this post, but it is a great topic and one that I have heard over and over in other circles I am involved in locally.

Chemar is on to something in that the natural food based probiotics are probably the best for a variety of reasons. We have given our son both home made fermented veggies and young green coconut kefir and both caused severe die off symptoms or what we suspect were die off symptoms. On one hand, this is tough b/c our son seemed to have suffered, but on the other hand the symptoms probably mean that the probiotics are doing their job and working to re-establish themselves in the GI tract and duking it out with the bad microflora. In my personal opinion, the Body Ecology Diet and its related passages and products relative to fermented foods is a great resource for this topic. Donna Gates is the author. It is worth checking out. Our son is on the BED diet and has made remarkable strides toward normalizing his gut issues.

Good luck !