ACN Latitudes Forums

frequent urination question

If your child had the issue of frequent urination or frequent urge to (without actually always going) did it go away on it's own or did it go away as the result of antibiotics? If it just went away was it after a long time or a relatively short lived problem?

If this was in hindsight the first major sign of pandas for your child how long was it before you started seeing other symptoms?

Edited by ajcire

My son went to the bathroom a lot in his first exacerbation, but I do not think it was due to the urge to urinate. He had compulsive hand washing and he knew he was "allowed" to wash his hands if he used the bathroom.

It wasn't until his third exacerbation did we notice urination problems. He wet his bed nightly for over a month. Then, one day it just stopped.

Our dd experienced frequent urination during the day and at night as a part of a host of symptoms that occurred during both of her major exacerbations (age 7.5 and 11.5). Both times, the frequency issues diappeared without any particular intervention. For our dd, urinary frequency was physiological, to the point that it was burdensome for her (it took up a vast amount of time both day and night). She created her own research study to see if she could change the frequency by not drinking any liquids. She still needed to urinate constantly. So she altered her study and ate only salty foods while restricting fluid intake, frequency persisted (no, my dh and I were not aware of her "study" at the time...we were told after she concluded it that neither variable seemed to effect her unrinary frequency and thus concluded that she had no control over it).

Mary

from Michigan

No, it was not the only symptom in a strep triggered exacerbation. I think when he had a virus, he wets his bed, but that would be at max 3 days of bedwetting. This number of days is pretty consistent. When he wets his bed, I prepare myself for changing sheets 3 nights in a row. Also, when it's viruses, his PANDAS symptoms would surface,but minor. Minor to the point that someone who wasn't his Mom may not have questioned them, but I saw them.

So the frequent urination was not the exacerbation but just part of it right? Meaning it wasn't the only symptom at the time right?

Edited by Vickie

My son had this symptom, but oddly enough, it appeared post-IVIG ... about 6 weeks out. It lasted for a couple of weeks and then it was gone. We are 16 weeks out now and I haven't seen it since.

It was never a part of his PANDAS symptoms pre-IVIG.

My dd also experienced frequent urination which was at its worst in the first exacerbation. It lasted a really long time (years??) but did lessen over time. When she started antibiotics (3 years in) it went away and has never returned.

Angela

My DS (8) has had frequent bed wetting for many years and when we started his abx (zith) it went away after about a week and we have only had one bout of it since. My son has very high strep and myco P titers...I have read that there is a correlation between myco p and frequent urination.

My dd's had frequent urination but even more so urgent urination where they all of a sudden had to go so badly they could not wait. Both went away after treatment with abx (they both had vaginal strep so I don't know if that was related to the urgent part). I just barely got rid of the potty I carried around in the back of the van. Since my girls have had pandas since a very young age and not diagnosed until now (ages 7&8) I'd say we had this issue for a long time.

Susan