ACN Latitudes Forums

Flaxseed Oil

I tried fish oil before and felt sick to my stomach on it and it caused diarrhea. So I've tried the supplement flaxseed oil and its been causing diarrhea also. Is this normal? If not any ideas on why this would be happening?

Carolyn

Flaxseed oil has lignans which can irritate the bowels for some (good for constipation though).

First I would go off it for a few days under no more diahrea. Then I might switch to the capsule form and try taking only one capsule and see how you do. Someone on Braintalk says it is best taken with a protein.

If you still have problems then maybe it is the oil and maybe a fat enzyme would help? I think of this because I have a vitamin E deficiency--even after supplementing, and read that some people don't digest the fats well.

Finally, some people with pyroluria don't do well on Omega 3's but need Omega 6's. I haven't heard of diahrea though. You can take the test, or just try the mixed EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids---Omega 3/6) that Chemar and Ronnas mentioned.

We tested for EFAs so that we knew which ones to supplement.

Claire

• 11 years later...

Hi Carolyn

It was recommended that we take a capsule form that has a blend of flaxseed, borage and evening primrose oils. That gives a better omega balance and just seems to work best for us.

I'm 40 years male having Tourette's for very long period (around 20 years). Could I know where I get the capsules? Any online stores? I'm from India. Thank you.

Hello

The blended supplement that we used many years ago is not on the market any longer.

There are many other excellent products in different combinations, but not sure what you might be able to obtain where you are located?