ACN Latitudes Forums

EPA/DHA ratio

Double check that you are correct in regards to which should be high/low.

I believe the research shows a high EPA to be more beneficial.

I use Omega Brite it is a 7:1 EPA:DHA. You can google it and purchase directly from their website...they also reference some research. I give double the dose listed on the side of the bottle.

We purchase the Norwegian Gold Super Critical Omega in a 7:1 EPA:DHA ratio; these pills are large, though (in the same size family as Augmentin XR), so not ideal for a younger child or one who doesn't like pills. I suppose the caplets could be pricked or sliced open and the oil administered in some other way, but I'm not sure how you would camoflage the taste.

I use Omega Brite it is a 7:1 EPA:DHA. You can google it and purchase directly from their website...they also reference some research. I give double the dose listed on the side of the bottle.

you may be right! my head was spinning with information and, of course, I had no pen. thanks!!!

thank you. do you use the adult or "kidz" version from their website?

thank you. do you use the adult or "kidz" version from their website?

I give my kids the "kidz" orange cream flavor...it took a little bit for them to get used to it...they still don't like it, but don't give me a hard time. My 9yr, 7yr, and 5yr old get 1/2 tsp -- my 2yr old gets 1/4 tsp (recommended dose)

I also take the adult (6 capsules when I remember) -- I can't swallow pills, so I just break them with my teeth. I think it does help my focus and concentration.

DHA is the omega 3 fatty acid that is found most concentrated in the brain and eyes. Usually, for brain issues, a higher DHA amount is recommended. The body can convert EPA to DHA, but it is not guaranteed. By supplementing with higher DHA levels you ensure that this fatty acid is available to the brain. Higher DHA levels were used for research with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. We use Carlson's CalaDHA - 500 mg DHA/100 mg EPA per capsule (chewable, lemon flavor). Carlson's fish oil liquid also has high DHA, but my son prefers the capsules, so we do that.

Hi. the psychiatrist recommended a high DHA low EPA ratio for mood stability for my 7 year old w/ PANDAS. After reading lots AND LOTS of labels, I am having a hard time finding this. Any ideas?

Thanks

i just posted on another thread..for those with tics, maybe this may be more important..

try to get the kind with an equal balance of epa and dha..as per our dan...the triple high epa is stimulating(as he said fish oil is stimulating in general)....i can atteest to taking the triple high at 5pm and i was woound up all evening..as per the dan...i take the triple(really helps my mood) and give ds his in morning...give bourage at night(calming)

It was my understanding that for Ps it should be more EPA then DHA. I was under the impression that it was Tanya Murphy perhaps that indicated that to someone???

We used Nordic Naturals EPA omegas--and after awhile switched to a Flaxseed capsule that had high omega 3s. I did think that the fishoil seemed to bother my oldest d and the Flaxseed has not had this effect. For our younger d we do give 1 Nordic Natural and 1 Flaxseed omega 3 per day. I am all for the fish oil if a child can tolerate it--

DHA is the omega 3 fatty acid that is found most concentrated in the brain and eyes. Usually, for brain issues, a higher DHA amount is recommended. The body can convert EPA to DHA, but it is not guaranteed. By supplementing with higher DHA levels you ensure that this fatty acid is available to the brain. Higher DHA levels were used for research with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. We use Carlson's CalaDHA - 500 mg DHA/100 mg EPA per capsule (chewable, lemon flavor). Carlson's fish oil liquid also has high DHA, but my son prefers the capsules, so we do that.

the psychiatrist agreed with this reasoning and said for PANDAS - higher DHA. looks like doctors disagree on this, go figure.....

Hi. the psychiatrist recommended a high DHA low EPA ratio for mood stability for my 7 year old w/ PANDAS. After reading lots AND LOTS of labels, I am having a hard time finding this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dr. Barry Sears is the most influential Omega 3 doctor in the world. He says EPA/DHA ratio 2:1. The Harvard studies have it at slightly higher EPA. Omapure brand which is what I use, has it at the Harvard level. I have personally been taking Eskimo doses of 10 grams per day for 18 months. I just started my PANDAS daughter Blake on the Dr. Sears "Big Brain Shake" which has 7 grams per day. This is a high dose, but for Neurological conditions, this dosage is necessary. It's just oil though. It's completely safe to supplement at these doses especially compared to steroids or antibiotics. There's a slightly elevated risk of thin blood.

Omapure is $20 per bottle in lots of 10. There are 120 capsules per bottle. This is an IFOS certified pharmaceutical grade fish oil. You do NOT want to feed your child anything other than IFOS certified oil. Omapure is the cheapest per capsule with this high a dose of EPA/DHA.

Big Brain Shake

Frozen or fresh berries

(We put in one banana and 10 strawberries)

2% milk (1/2 cup)

10 capsules Omapure cut and drained

Ice blended

Blake has been doing very well on this dose. She reports that her depression has completely lifted after several days. She wants to get off of Concerta and is lobbying hard to continue this treatment instead. Anecdotally, she's much more "lucid" in conversation and is noticably happier. Her symptoms of PANDAS are not as bad as most other children on this list, but she seems better. It's only been a week. It takes several weeks to start taking effect.

Edited by Hierge

It was my understanding that for Ps it should be more EPA then DHA. I was under the impression that it was Tanya Murphy perhaps that indicated that to someone???

We used Nordic Naturals EPA omegas--and after awhile switched to a Flaxseed capsule that had high omega 3s. I did think that the fishoil seemed to bother my oldest d and the Flaxseed has not had this effect. For our younger d we do give 1 Nordic Natural and 1 Flaxseed omega 3 per day. I am all for the fish oil if a child can tolerate it--

You will benefit from reading Dr. Barry Sears's Omega RX Zone. You can get it from Amazon used for less than ten dollars.

Flaxseed oil has to be converted by the body to EPA in the body. In reality this never happens in significant enough levels to affect silent inflammation. It's a complete waste of money and time. IFOS Certified pharmaceutical grade fish oil is the only option here, in high doses. Sears has other books I'm recommending called "The Anti-Inflammation Zone" and "Toxic Fats" which can explain more. Omega 6 fats such as vegetable oils and trans fats must be removed from the diet and high dose purified EPA/DHA administered.

I have no personal vendetta against Flaxseed oil. It just doesn't have any beneficial effect on inflammation at all. It is a long chain fatty acid, but it will not dilute Arachidontic Acid the same way that EPA in fish oil will. Dr. Sears has a great brand line of fish oils if you can afford them. I use Omapure which I have researched fully. I am going to see if Omapure will offer a discount to PANDAS group parents soon.

Hi Hierge

sorry but I respectfully disagree

my son has Crohn's Disease and uses flaxseeds (and other non fishoil Omega 3 sources) as part of his anti-inflammatory nutritional program with much success

what you may not be aware of is that many people who have Tourette Syndrome (as my son and others here do have) cannot tolerate fish oil. It makes them tic more. There are many posts about this here

We try to allow people to discuss their opinions and experience openly here, with the absolute understanding that what works for one person may not be suitable for another. One always has to be very aware of the fact that many of the kids represented here may have more than one issue impacting their health and this again makes it risky to suggest that because something works well for some people, that it will therefore be ok for everyone!

There are many books around about many things. Just because people state things in books, does not make them THE expert, nor does it mean they know *everything*

thank you

Thank you. I just bought these and they seem to be good quality.