ACN Latitudes Forums

2010/2011 Flu Shot

Starting as early as September, flu shots/mist will be available so I thought I'd post this now. Last year, there were MANY discussions whether a PANDAS/PITAND child and/or family members should get vaccinated. But last year was different. There was the a separate seasonal flu vaccine and a separate H1N1 vaccine. This year they will be combined. So, I just want to give a heads up to those wo were strongly against the H1N1, but decided to get the separate seasonal vaccine. They are combined into one vaccine this year. I just want to make sure everyone knows what is being offered.

Personally, my family will not get any flu vaccine this year (the did not get any last year either). I read in the paper that they have also increased vaccines required for school in my state. This is just getting out of control, in my opinion.

Edited by Vickie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Vickie! My whole family has never gotten flu shots our entire lives...and we are still here! ^_^ I don't even recall anyone ever getting the flu!! ( Well,I think I did 6 years ago or so) We most definitely won't be starting now.

Starting as early as September, flu shots/mist will be available so I thought I'd post this now. Last year, there were MANY discussions whether a PANDAS/PITAND child and/or family members should get vaccinated. But last year was different. There was the a separate seasonal flu vaccine and a separate H1N1 vaccine. This year they will be combined. So, I just want to give a heads up to those wo were strongly against the H1N1, but decided to get the separate seasonal vaccine. They are combined into one vaccine this year. I just want to make sure everyone knows what is being offered.

Personally, my family will not get any flu vaccine this year (the did not get any last year either). I read in the paper that they have also increased vaccines required for school in my state. This is just getting out of control, in my opinion.

We are definitely NOT getting any flu shots!!! Thanks for the heads up about the combined shots!

Brandy

Nope,I think we are going to skip it this year also

we have gave her the reg flu shot for a long time

and last year she had no PANDAS with it,and her first dose

of H1N1 but then we didn't give her the 2 dose because

of her PANDAS..

BUT 2 days after we got home from having ivig with Dr.k

what did she catch??? the flu and we are sure it was H1N1

but it was ok because she didnt go into pandas mode soo

it was kinda a blessing in a way because we wont need

to think about it so much this year.

Thanks for the discussion Vickie!

Well- I am pretty anti vaccine these days. I really don't plan on doing any more for the girls, being age 7 and 10, they are both just about fully vaccinated anyway. I don't plan to do boosters- will test titers on something if I think it is important. I plan to evaluate each suggested vaccine in my own time, weighing the risks.

We didn't do the flu or H1N1 vaccines last year- and frankly I can't imagine sitting there watching the doc inject them- wondering if it will cause a pandas episode or blip. The only concern I have, is that last year they both DID get probable H1N1. It put them both in a tailspin- the younger who was being treated aggressively at that time for pandas spiraled quickly down into an episode that was luckily stopped with steroids. The older one who was being watched and evaluated for pandas also went into an episode that ended up with her in the hospital for pex.

S0- it is not a simple decision. At this time I do not plan on getting the vaccine- but I will be completely stressed once flu/sick season starts. If only I had a chrystal ball....

Thanks for the information and starting this dicussion Vickie!

We don't usually give Alex flu shots and won't be this year for sure, as Dr. K has said NO vaccines for an indefinite time period. I never get them b/c my aunt got Giaume Barre years ago. We did get Alex the H1N1 last year b/c he's had 6 pneumonia's and we wanted to protect him from that - luckily the shot didn't send him into a tailspin.

I agree with DC Mom - it's not a simple decision for anyone here. If someone does choose to get the vaccine, please don't get the mist, as it's a live virus and much riskier for these kids. Also, you can/should request single-dose, mercury "free" version.

Edited by mama2alex

No flu shots for us either. Last year, before we knew that we were dealing with PANDAS, our ds10 (9 at the time) had odd behavior reactions the next day. He was complaining about the uneven paint color tone on his wall and very upset about that. We had no idea what happened, only that the day before this, he had gotten the flu shot.

My ds10 will not be getting another vaccination, ever! At age 5 and 9 he had exacerbations from strep that he completely recovered from. In November of last year we gave him the flu mist that immediately sent him into a horrible exacerbation and he hasn't been well since. He has had a cronic sinus infection since that day.