ACN Latitudes Forums

Cough

So my son started with a cough yesterday, I figured he was getting sick. This morning he woke up and it almost sounded like croup. As the day progressed it sounded better, but he is coughing like every 2-3 seconds and now I'm worrying it's a tic. The only thing is he took a nap today and the cough was still there, he doesn't typically tic in his sleep. I am just so very exhausted of worrying about every cough, hum, hiccup, hand movement, etc., etc., etc.

Does the hyper-focus ever, ever, ever end?

We are leaving for the beach tomorrow and I feel so bad for him & as usual I'm a mess...

thanks,

Lynn

Hi Lynn777,

I'm so very sorry you are in this predicament, especially right before your vacation. The fact that he is doing it in his sleep makes me think it isn't a tic. Was he completely out? My daughter has a cough/hiccup sounding vocal tic. At first we thought she was clearing stuff out of her throat because she had a sinus infection when it started. It turned out to be a tic (she eventually got diagnosed with PANDAS). However, she never does it in her sleep.

I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I too feel like I can never relax and it's really starting to take a toll on me. I'm tired of trying to figure this all out. It seems like every time you think things are getting better and you've found some answers you inevitably find yourself back at step 1 struggling all over again. It's just draining! I wish I had some advice for you for. I just want you to know you are so not alone. I spent our last family vacation with my fingers in my ears half the time because due to my daughter's excitement she was ticcing like crazy. I was ready to throw myself from the hotel balcony. Good luck, I hope the coughing turns out to be allergies or the beginnings of a cold. I hope you get to enjoy your vacation.

Caring Mom

Lynn, you may already be gone but I was going to say that I'd think that if he's doing it in his sleep that it might be a virus. A friend of mine's son had just a cough for 2 weeks and they finally took him to the doctor and it turned out to be bronchitis. He didn't have any other symptoms and felt fine most of the day, too. Maybe bring some eucalyptus oil with you and some honey to soothe his throat and if it gets worse,check with his doc. I totally understand the watching for new tics thing. Ds always is keeping on my toes, LOL!

So my son started with a cough yesterday, I figured he was getting sick. This morning he woke up and it almost sounded like croup. As the day progressed it sounded better, but he is coughing like every 2-3 seconds and now I'm worrying it's a tic. The only thing is he took a nap today and the cough was still there, he doesn't typically tic in his sleep. I am just so very exhausted of worrying about every cough, hum, hiccup, hand movement, etc., etc., etc.

Does the hyper-focus ever, ever, ever end?

We are leaving for the beach tomorrow and I feel so bad for him & as usual I'm a mess...

thanks,

Lynn

Sorry to hear about your son's cough. My ds12 started a cough, out of the blue, recently (while in Yellowstone) and it was pretty bad at first. We called his Dr. the next day and she put him on heavy duty antibiotics immediately. She thinks his trigger is Mico but we do not know for sure. His cough slowly subsided over 1 1/2 weeks. Initially though, the abx really nipped it in the bud. His last cough last over 2 1/2 weeks and turned into stomache flu symptoms (we think it was his initial major exacerbation for PANDAS).

Our Dr. told us to call if there is any illness at all (we are still trying to figure out his triggers though). Not sure about your situation. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Thanks Everyone,

It does help to know I'm not alone. I just don't know how to live the rest of my life feeling like this, it's so very hard to watch your child tic. Yes, I know he could have something much worse, but that doesn't really make what he does have any easier. I just feel like running away, not from him, but from the stupid tics!

I ended up taking him to the doctor and he said that he has post nasal drip and a cold. So, I guess it wasn't a tic after all, but this is just my life now -- always, always, always wondering and like caring mom said "trying to figure things out".

I did bring some tea and honey to the beach house, so I'll give him that and hope it helps him.

As I type this he's sitting at the table eating his dinner, doing his little hand movements and as sweet and adorable as he is, I too am eyeing up the balcony. (sigh)

I have so much respect for all of you that have been dealing with this for years & I'm sure many of you have endured worse that I'm dealing with. I truly admire your strength...

thanks again,

lynn

If the cough lingers, you might want to consider testing for mycoplasma pneumoniae. A cough was the primary symptom of this infection for my son. One of abstracts below seems to indicate that it is found more often in people with TS than the general population. My son's cough wasn't nearly as frequent though as what you have described. Just something to consider.

These abstracts have been posted before, but I'm reposting in case you haven't seen them.

http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S0165-1781(04)00208-2/abstract

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/157/3/481-a

Could it be asthma? A constant cough may indicate asthma (don't assume it's not, even if you can't hear wheezing, because it can be in the small airways, which causes coughing and tightness.) That's what both my son and I have, and I can't tell you how many times I've argued with doctors and/or the school nurse. If there's any chance it's asthma, I would see a dr immediately...it can get out of control very quickly. Good luck.

Thanks again,

I will keep the Mycoplasma in mind. Also, I had horrible allergies as a kid and my older son has struggled with asthma much of his life. So, it is not out of the realm of possibility that my young son could have it too. Not to mention, every time he gets sick it seems to settle as a cough.