ACN Latitudes Forums

Local Fundraiser Idea

I have been trying to decide on some sort of ongoing fundraiser for Dr. Cunningham's research that could be done locally but then repeated nationally. My hope was for something with some impact yet not be intense either management or time wise.

So I've come up with coin drives. I was responsible for one at my school last year and my tiny school of 150 students raised $2500 dollars! A simple incentive of a pizza party for the winning class or some other reward really spurred on a few of our classes to "win" which only proved to be a real winner for the charity. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society runs Pennies for Patients each year during a few weeks in March and raises a large amount of money each year. I could see us coming up with a plan and conducting the same type of fundraiser.

I have already found collection boxes and could buy 500 at a price I'm willing to donate to start this out. I would also then get labels and would label each box and add a slot for depositing coins. As others were interested and found schools willing to do a coin drive you would simply need to email me and I would mail you out the required number of boxes. It would be my hope that then the parent organizing on a local basis would donate the reward. This would then allow 100% of the money raised to go to Dr. Cunningham's research.

The second prong to this approach would be to possibly place small locked donation boxes at businesses. Maybe a local family could include a few lines about how PANDAS has impacted them on the attached sign for these boxes. These boxes would just require periodic collection of any donated funds. My current hesitation with these is that in my initial research for this I have only found some pretty cost prohibitive options for locked boxes. I don't want this to become a burden or to waste any research funds on supplies such as this.

My thought had been to approach our school system but then next approach surrounding ones as well. I think this could be an ongoing opportunity for us to develop a fund raising strategy. Relay for Life, Pennies for Patients, American Heart Walk, etc all had to start somewhere. I think PANDAS needs its own "thing".

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Want to tell me I'm crazy? Feedback is eagerly received!