ACN Latitudes Forums

Which doctors are most sympathetic to non-drug treatment?

Hi, we live in the UK and after suffering for 38 years from OCD and my 13 year old showing some obsessive symptoms for the last 10 years, I am very keen to try inositol and possibly Bonnie Grimaldi's vitamins, but my family doctor says he cannot sanction anything that has not undergone extensive drug trials.

Does anyone know how I can get around this problem, as I would very much like to have a doctor's guidance while taking these supplements?

Hi

try to find an Integrative physician (a qualified MD who has also specialized in alternative medicine) They do exist there as I had one when I lived in London during the 70s/80s

I dont know if you have any DAN doctors but they are also up on alternatives, as are naturopaths and environmental physicians

Bonnie's supplements are primarily for Tourette Syndrome

Your docotr's attitude is so closed....my son suffered with severe OCD and the so called tested and approved drigs only made things far worse for him!

since we have been using natural supplements for the OCD past 10 years there has been remarkable improvement!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Naturopath's do not always have a conventional medical degree as well as their specialization in natural medicine....Integrative doctors do

Hmm, that's interesting; I learned that you cannot be a Naturopath unless you have a medical degree first. Maybe this does not apply everywhere. I do know that plenty of people are in the field of alternative health who do not hold a degree, for example people who are certified alternative health nutritionists, or who deal with homeopathic remedies. I was interested in becoming a Naturopath myself, but turned away after learning that a medical degree was required first, as I do not have a medical degree. I have never heard of an Integrative Doctor, is that a doctor who practices conventional and alternative medicine?

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see someone else from the UK here. It's true that inositol has never been put through the full clinical testing process, but it's been researched a fair bit in various ways. Some studies of its effects on OCD and other mental conditions have used doses as high as 18 grams a day. No serious side-effects have ever been reported. (There's an article reviewing some of the studies at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_255/ai_n6211958/, if you're interested.) I'd have said that if you wanted to risk it, that was up to you. Presumably you just have an unusually fussy doctor.

The same goes for Bonnie Grimaldi's vitamins. In fact, most of the ingredients in those have been formally approved by the Food Standards Authority as safe at that level. I'd have thought most ordinary doctors would be prepared to try either of them, never mind "integrative doctors". Still, that might be a good place to start looking.

Best of luck!

Wombat140