ACN Latitudes Forums

Bentonite Clay dosage/method post IVIG?

Forgive me if this info is already out there...I'm having problems with my computer and the search engine.

My nearly 8 yo (about 50 lbs) is having IVIG with Dr. K tmrw and Sat. I got some bentonite clay from Whole Foods from their bulk powders department. What amount should I give him and how (dissolved in water or juice or yogurt or straight?)

Thanks!

If you bought it in powder form its probably the wrong stuff. You want to buy the liquid form that is meant to be ingested. I've attached a link for the brand Whole Foods carries that is the correct stuff.

http://www.iherb.com/Yerba-Prima-Great-Plains-Bentonite-Detox-16-fl-oz-473-ml/4789?at=0

You can also use Charcoal pills or chewable Pepto Bismal to assist with acid elimination and herxing.

http://www.iherb.com/HealthForce-Nutritionals-Intestinal-Drawing-Formula-Capsules-260-Veggie-Caps/20525?at=0

http://www.amazon.com/Pepto-bismol-Children%60s-Chewable-Tablets-24-Count/dp/B0013HZ5MC

My son is 6 years old and 50 pounds..... Drinks 1 1/2 cups bentonite clay per day. We are using it under the direction of the nutritionist we are working with and specializes in auto-immune. I've attached her YouTube discussion on bentonite clay and why it works.

I bought the power but there were two kinds of powder available. One that could be ingested and one that could be.I add two cups to orange juice and let it sit over night. By the morning the clay has settled to the bottom and only the juice is poured. I give him a cup and a half. The picture last few days. I will definitely will look for the liquid. Would be a lot easier.

SF Mom -Thanks for posting this again. I could not find the correct betonite at local health food stores, so this is helpful.

You say you do 1 1/2 cups per day for a 50 lb. child. The directions on the link you posted was 1-2 tablespoons per day for regular use / or 1 tablespoon every 2 hours for detox. (with lots of water).

I know you are under the care of a nutritionist - I just want to make sure that I have the dosing correct.

I started using charcoal pills every other day with my son for diarrhea from Azith and the results were amazing... so I thought we'd try betonite on a regular basis.

With the charcoal, I am giving him the pills about 10 hours before the azith and about 4 hours before acidophilus so that those are not absorbed by the charcoal. I don't know if that is correct, but I think I read somewhere to space those out. I am wondering if you do the same for betonite.

Thanks so much!

Edited by kimballot

Yes we take way above the recommendation..... Our entire family is on the regimen so we all drink about a cup a day (including 3 year old twins) except for our older son who drinks more. It really works.

We do not space it out from antibiotics because he takes it in the morning, afternoon and evening but it is recommended to take similar to charcoal pills 'a couple hours from antibiotics'.

The chewable pepto bismol is recommend by our nutritionist for children who won't take the clay or the charcoal pills...... I'd definitely give it a try.

-Wendy

SF Mom -Thanks for posting this again. I could not find the correct betonite at local health food stores, so this is helpful.

You say you do 1 1/2 cups per day for a 50 lb. child. The directions on the link you posted was 1-2 tablespoons per day for regular use / or 1 tablespoon every 2 hours for detox. (with lots of water).

I know you are under the care of a nutritionist - I just want to make sure that I have the dosing correct.

I started using charcoal pills every other day with my son for diarrhea from Azith and the results were amazing... so I thought we'd try betonite on a regular basis.

With the charcoal, I am giving him the pills about 10 hours before the azith and about 4 hours before acidophilus so that those are not absorbed by the charcoal. I don't know if that is correct, but I think I read somewhere to space those out. I am wondering if you do the same for betonite.

Thanks so much!

Yes we take way above the recommendation..... Our entire family is on the regimen so we all drink about a cup a day (including 3 year old twins) except for our older son who drinks more. It really works.

We do not space it out from antibiotics because he takes it in the morning, afternoon and evening but it is recommended to take similar to charcoal pills 'a couple hours from antibiotics'.

The chewable pepto bismol is recommend by our nutritionist for children who won't take the clay or the charcoal pills...... I'd definitely give it a try.

-Wendy

That is so good to know about the chewable pepto bismal. My son had to come home early from camp due to diarrhea (I did not send charcoal pills). I bet they had pepto bismal chewables at the camp he could have taken... have to keep that one in mind!

Thanks!

A question about the pepto.. I see that the regular "pepto chewables" contain "Bismuth Subsalicylate (262 mg (99mg of salicylate))" as active ingredient, which the Children's Chewables do not contain (children's has calcium carbonate as the active ingredient). Should I assume that we should give kids the adult version then?

And would the tablets that you swallow work the same (same ingredients)? DS would probably prefer something he could swallow rather than an odd tasting liquid.

A question about the pepto.. I see that the regular "pepto chewables" contain "Bismuth Subsalicylate (262 mg (99mg of salicylate))" as active ingredient, which the Children's Chewables do not contain (children's has calcium carbonate as the active ingredient). Should I assume that we should give kids the adult version then?

No - don't give kids the adult version. Salicylate is the ingredient in asprin that can cause Rye Syndrome and is why you can't give kids regular asprin. Only use the children's.

Ah, thank you. Good to know. But, then, if the main ingredient is calcium carbonate, wouldn't Tums do the same thing?

No - don't give kids the adult version. Salicylate is the ingredient in asprin that can cause Rye Syndrome and is why you can't give kids regular asprin. Only use the children's.

• 3 weeks later...