ACN Latitudes Forums

Info for a therapist

I feel I should know this answer but I want to be sure to pick the best things for this audience.

And no before you think I'm an idiot the therapist is not for my PANDAS child. lol

My younger ds just began seeing a therapist due to his reaction to my impending divorce and because he tends to be the brunt of his brother's wrath when he experiences an exacerbation.

My DS w/ PANDAS was only diagnosed due to a smart therapist who said she wanted it ruled out before she tried CBT in case we were not dealing with average anxiety. Prior to this I'd never heard of PANDAS and thought his movements were due to anxiety but tics? I was shocked at the mention and didn't believe that is what it was. (I was so dumb back then. :) )

I hate the idea of a therapist who is not familiar with PANDAS because of the other kids who could maybe be id'd through him. SO...what would you recommend I print and bombard him with next week when I bring my non-PANDAS ds? I want things that will be good for a therapist to get an overall picture that might help them to at least make him think if he were to see a kid with OCD, tics, anxiety, etc.

Thanks!

I'll PM you. I have a PDF I can email you of Laura Matheos' article for Autism File Magazine. I've given this article to a number of people - it's very clear and comprehensive, but not overly heavy on the science. Also the School Nurse article is good - I can email that too. If you can loan her a copy of Saving Sammy, I think that really helps people "get it."